Lauterbrunnen Things to Do

• Lauterbrunnen Main Street,  Staubbach Falls
    Lauterbrunnen Main Street, Staubbach...
    by Mikebb
  • "Top of Europe" - Enjoy The Snow
    by Mikebb
  • Display at Stechelberg - Schilthorn station
    Display at Stechelberg - Schilthorn...
    by balhannah

Most Recent Things to Do in Lauterbrunnen

• rosequartzlover1's Profile Photo

walking around

by rosequartzlover1 Updated Jun 12, 2015

The weather was so good that day.You can see that it's clear blue sky.It's sunny but temperature was perfect ,..not surprised why people love Switzerland as one of the most beautiful country in the world.It's really happy walking amoung the beautiful scenery around us.

TRUMMELBACH FALLS- CHUTES 6-10

by balhannah Updated Dec 19, 2014

We are lucky that we were visiting these falls now, as over the years, more and more has been opened to the public.

Back in 1877 - 1886, it was only the lower falls that were accessible, then in 1986, access to three upper falls, a gallery and lookouts were added. The lower part of the gorge was connected to the upper half in 1990, and this made another three falls visible. Now we can see 10 waterfalls, with the difference in height between the lowest and the highest fall -140 metres.

I think what first hit me, was the sound of the water, it was loud! Next was the sight of the water gushing through narrow places inbetween giant boulders, probably having carved its way through here over thousands of years.
    We were here in June, this is when the snow and glacier ice melts, so there was plenty of water going over, they say itt could be 20,000 litres a second!

I decided to walk to the very top and then head back down, this took me from Chute 6 to Chute 10 which was as far as I could go. I was glad the pathway was lit, as all I could hear was the tremendously loud, powerful, rushing and frolicking water making its way down hill.
    There were some stairs you can climb and look down to Chutes 8 & 9

Chute 6, is a pretty popular one that everybody tends to photograph.
    So far, so good, I will head to downhill in the next tip......

Walkway @ Trummelbach falls Trummelbach falls Trummelbach falls Trummelbach falls Trummelbach falls

TRUMMELBACH FALLS

by balhannah Updated Dec 19, 2014

Trummelbach Falls, and we had been told we "MUST SEE" these Falls.

So, on our way from the Schilthorn cable-car station, we found the sign post and followed the road to the Trummelbach Cafe. This is where the Car park is, and there was plenty of room in June.
    All I bought from the Cafe, were drinks and they were expensive!

We didn't think the falls would be free, but where was the admission office?
    On asking, we were told along the track, and this was so! Tickets and souvenirs all in the one place.
    We continued walking along a pathway which was surrounded by a pretty meadow full of flowers. At last, we were at the area where the Lift operates. This is great for people with disabilities, and it is included in the price. The tunnel lift, is a funicular with a counterweight and was constructed in 1913.
    Up we went and alighted in the Cave, and so our journey exploring the tunnels, caves and Waterfalls began.

ADMISSION IN 2011.......Adults....11 sf

If you come by bus, it will drop you off right in front of the Trummelbach Cafe

Pay here for Trummelbach falls Trummelbach lift Track through the meadow to the Falls.

TRUMMELBACH FALLS - CHUTES 6-EXIT

by balhannah Updated Dec 19, 2014

We are at Chute 6, and the water is powerful! This is where the Lift dropped us off, so it is downhill from now on. There are some stairs before we reach chutes 4 & 5!
    The "Corkscrew Falls" are located below here and we can see daylight and fabulous Mountain scenery. Still another two small chutes to find and see by taking a side path to the bridge which is inbetween the last 2 chutes.

What can I say about the worlds only glacier waterfalls that are accessible underground by lift, galleries, tunnels, paths and platforms.................

FANTASTIC......A MUST SEE!

It is quite an experience!

Trummelbach falls Trummelbach falls View from Trummelbach falls walkway View from Trummelbach falls walkway

MURREN - WALSER SETTLEMENT

by balhannah Updated Dec 19, 2014

Murren is known as the "Village on the Wall!" One look at it and you can see why!

The Village dates back to 1257, when it was a Walser settlement. "The Walser" are German-speaking people and are named after the Wallis (Valais.) The Walser settled the upper part of the Wallis about 1000 years ago, some in the pretty town of Murren. If you walk through the town, you will still find some "Walser" buildings and people who speak the dialect.

Since 1965, the Schilthorn Aerial Cableway stops here, and with our ticket, we could hop off if we so wished, just make sure you leave enough time for these extra stops! The village is in a wonderful location, and even better it's a "no car" town.

This is just something of interest I read, and thought I would share
    "Back in 1894, there were two Horse drawn tram cars that ran from the Grand Hotel and Kurhause to the Murren mountain railway station. One was used for people, the other for goods.
    The Horse drawn tramline, had a gauge of only 0.50 metres and was 455 metres long was the narrowest and shortest tram service in Switzerland.
    The service lasted until 1930, and in that time had carried a grand total of approx 20000 passengers."

Murren Murren
    • Mountain Climbing

AEGERTENBACH FALLS

by balhannah Updated Dec 19, 2014

The 261 metre high Aegertenbach Falls are situated between Staubbach Falls and Murrenbach Falls and right across from Trummelbach Falls.
    They are said to be ones with a light flow, but on the day we observed them, there seemed to be plenty of water going over and plenty of spray! We viewed them from Trummelbach Falls. Evidenty, you can't get close to them, but if you want a straight on view, then you need to walk between Trummelbach Falls and Murrenbach Falls.
    Also quite beautiful!

AEGERTENBACH  FALLS

BOND....JAMES BOND....

Who?.....007, of course!!

That's right, the 1969 film "on Her Magesty's Service" was filmed at Piz Gloria on top of Schilthorn Mountain, and here I was, standing where 007 would have been in the Movie!

The Actor in this Movie, was Australian, "Geroge Lazenby," and this was his one and only James Bond Movie he starred in.

In the Movie, Piz Gloria, which is the Restaurant now, is Blofeld's clinical research institute. Bond spends some time there, eventually destroying the whole place.

Inside Piz Gloria, we found quite a bit of information on the making of the Movie, trouble was we could only look at the pictures as there wasn't anything written in English, still, it gave us an idea of what went on.

Several week's after returning home, we watched the Movie on Television.
    This time, we could say, "We have been there!"

VIEW FROM 2970 METRES.

by balhannah Updated Dec 19, 2014

Reaching the 2970 metre summit of the Schilthorn took 32 minutes travelling by Cable car. What a lovely feeling it was when arriving at the summit to find instead of everything covered in fog, some was bathed in sunshine. Disappointment vanished!

We made our way from the Cable Car and out onto the viewing platform. Yes, parts of the surrounding area was still covered in fog, but this was just a little lower down to where we were standing. The result, Snow capped Mountain peaks popping out of the clouds, that is all we could see, but it would be one of the most beautiful sights we had ever seen!
    We walked around several times hoping the fog might lift, as we couldn't see any valley views or much of other mountains.

Then we thought, we would go into the Restaurant for Lunch and see what the scenery was like later.

I think we were lucky in a way, as how many Tourists would see the Schilthorn Mountain like this!

View from top of Schilthorn View from top of Schilthorn View from top of Schilthorn View from top of Schilthorn View from top of Schilthorn

STAUBBACH FALLS

by balhannah Updated Dec 19, 2014

We saw the Staubbach Falls as we drove into Lauterbrunnen. Wow! They were pretty good!
    The falls are 297 metres high and had quite a good flow going over them. They can be seen from Trummelbach Falls and Wengen.

We only viewed from a distance, but you can get closer to them by going to the trail head which is beside a Barn close to Lauterbrunnen, then follow the track up the steep hill to the entrance of a tin tunnel. Past the Tunnel there are some stairs to climb and not long after your behind the Waterfall!

Leave about an hour for the whole walk.

Staubbach Falls

INSIDE AARESCHULCHT

by balhannah Updated Dec 19, 2014

Once I had paid my admission fee, I eagerly headed along the track towards the Gorge.
    I was given a map which had information on the main attractions, and there was a signpost at the beginning of the trail.

It was an interesting walk, some of it was through a big Cavern which dated to WWII. Parts of the Gorge were very narrow, later it widened, light came in and there were Trees and ferns growing - rather pretty! I came across the tiny Schraybach Waterfall and other parts that looked calm, this is where it was wider, and there was gravel and sandbank's.
    The board-walk took me along the very edge and underneath huge overhanging Cliffs, in some places there was only just room to move past another person.
    There was quite a lot of water rushing and squeezing through the narrow spaces, roaring as it went.
    As always, on the walk back I noticed some more that I had missed on the way up.

I really enjoyed the Aareschulcht!

Aareschlucht Aareschlucht Aareschlucht Aareschlucht Aareschlucht

LAKE BRIENZ

by balhannah Updated Dec 19, 2014

This is another one of the beautiful Swiss lakes!
    Located only a short distance from Lauterbrunnen, we decided to do a drive alongside the Lake. Their were a few Yachts out on the calm, peaceful blue Lake. Mountain views were fantastic again!
    Brienz and Interlaken would be the two biggest lakeside Towns, with other little ones scattered along the way.
    We did find places to pull off and be able to get out of the car and have a good look. While we were at one such place, a Paddle Steamer went sailing past. They run in Summer, not in Winter.

The website is for the Ferries.

Lake Brienz Lake Brienz Lake Brienz Lake Brienz Lake Brienz
    • Sailing and Boating

AARESCHUCHT

by balhannah Updated Dec 19, 2014

In English, this is a Gorge, and an impressive one at that!
    It is located about 1km from Meiringen, so you can walk to there from the Town. We drove the 40kms from Lauterbrunnen as we were doing many sights on the one day. No worries with car parking, there was plenty of spaces and it was FREE.

There are some legends about the Gorge, the one I like, was the report in 1814 of a monster in the Aare Gorge, something like a snake, but with a round head and legs. The locals called it a "Tatzelwurm." It is said to have a big mouth, sharp teeth, evil eyes, and made whistling sounds that frightened even the Men in the Village!
    Was it a Worm or a Dragon, luckily I didn't see one to find out!

The walk through the Gorge is on a well kept track of wood decking alongside the raging torrent, and Asphalt through Tunnels.
    I found it a very easy walk, and quite a bit, but not all, would be suitable for wheel-chairs.
    They quote the walk as taking 40mins, I don't know how long I took. I walked from one end to the other and back again, and enjoyed every minute of it!

ADMISSION IN 2011.....Adults...7.50sf
    Children under 6 years FREE .....Children 7 - 16 years 4.00SF

OPEN DAILY..... July & Aug 8am–6pm......
    April–June & Sept–Oct 9am–5pm
    Floodlit on summer nights (July & Aug Wed & Fri 9–11pm).
    It is closed during Winter, from November 1st - End of March......The Restaurant is still open.

Aare Gorge The other end of Aare Gorge Aare Gorge

SCHILTHORN AERIAL CABLEWAY

by balhannah Updated Dec 19, 2014

At Stechelberg which is further towards the end of the Lauterbrunnen valley, is where the Cable Cars are for the trip up the Mountain to Schilthorn.
    There is a big Car parking lot where you get some time for Free, and the rest has to be paid for.
    Also near the Carpark, is another nice waterfall.

The ticket office was easily seen and we bought our tickets, then joined quite a long queue waiting for the next Cable Car or two.
    I went for a look around while my husband stood in line, and found a show-case of Alpine Animals.
    That killed a little time, and it wasn't long before the Cable Car arrived.

To reach Schilthorn, we had to change Cable Cars four times. We started at Stechelberg, next station was Gimmenwald, next Murren, next Birg, and the last was Schilthorn. We could get on and off at any of the stations as we had paid for a trip to the top.

COST IN 2011.................94.80 CHF RETURN OR 55.20 CHF One way.

Swiss Half-Fare Card/Swiss Card are valid, Swiss Pass valid to Mürren (50% reduction from Mürren - Schilthorn). Junior Card is valid.

Display at Stechelberg - Schilthorn station Display at Stechelberg - Schilthorn station

ROAD TO LAUTERBRUNNEN

by balhannah Updated Dec 19, 2014

This would have to be one of the prettiest drives ever!

Lucky me, I was the Passenger in the Car and could look and enjoy the beautiful scenery, my husband was the driver and had to keep his eyes on the road. He did see some of the scenery as we pulled up several times for photo's!
    I had to take a photo of the Swiss Cow's, munching away in the colourful fields in the month of June.
    And then photos of all the Waterfalls, not just the main ones, but the gorgeous smaller ones plummeting over the high cliffs in this valley. Make sure to look to see if you can find 72, that is if all have water running over them. What would it be like after the Snow melts - fantastic I should think!
    But there was more along this road, and that was all the Para-gliders in the air, and some were landing in the nearby fields, and last but not least, we could see the Cable-Car making its way up the Mountain side.
    Wow! This was one beautiful scenic drive!

Lauterbrunnen valley road Lauterbrunnen valley road Lauterbrunnen valley road Lauterbrunnen valley road Lauterbrunnen valley road

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Staubbach Falls

by travelfrosch Updated Mar 14, 2014

A short walk from Lauterbrunnen is Staubbach Falls. This stark waterfall is easily visible from the train station. Walk down the path for a closer look, but don't get too close. A falling rock in the wrong place can ruin your whole day.

Falls, Mountain, and House Staubbach Falls
    • Trains

Instant Answers: Lauterbrunnen

Comments

Lauterbrunnen Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Lauterbrunnen things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lauterbrunnen sightseeing.

View all Lauterbrunnen hotels