Lauterbrunnen Things to Do

• Lauterbrunnen Main Street,  Staubbach Falls
    Lauterbrunnen Main Street, Staubbach...
    by Mikebb
  • "Top of Europe" - Enjoy The Snow
    by Mikebb
  • Display at Stechelberg - Schilthorn station
    Display at Stechelberg - Schilthorn...
    by balhannah

Most Recent Things to Do in Lauterbrunnen

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Staubbach Falls

by travelfrosch Updated Mar 14, 2014

Falls, Mountain, and House

A short walk from Lauterbrunnen is Staubbach Falls. This stark waterfall is easily visible from the train station. Walk down the path for a closer look, but don't get too close. A falling rock in the wrong place can ruin your whole day.

• Trains

ROAD TO LAUTERBRUNNEN

by balhannah Updated Feb 23, 2012

Lauterbrunnen valley road

This would have to be one of the prettiest drives ever!

Lucky me, I was the Passenger in the Car, although we did pull up several times for photo's! I had to take one of the Swiss Cow's, munching away in the colourful field's in the month of June.
    And then, all the Waterfall's, not just the main ones, but the gorgeous smaller one's plummeting over the high cliff's in this valley, we just had to stop for more photo's. Make sure you look too, as there are quite a few, 72 if they are all running! What would it be like after the Snow melts,............fantastic I should think!
    But there was more along this road, and that was all the Para-gliding in the air, and some were landing in the nearby fields, and last but not least, we could see the Cable-Car making its way up the Mountain side.
    Wow! This was one beautiful scenic drive!

AARESCHUCHT

by balhannah Updated Nov 3, 2011

In English, this is a Gorge, and an impressive one at that!
    It is located about 1km from Meiringen, so you can walk to there from the Town.
    We drove the 40kms from Lauterbrunnen as we were doing many sight's on the one day. No worries with car parking, there was plenty of spaces, and it was FREE.

There are some legend's about the Gorge, the one I like, was the report in 1814 of a monster in the Aare Gorge, something like a snake, but with a round head and legs. The local's called it a "Tatzelwurm." It is said to have a big mouth, sharp teeth, evil eyes, and made whistling sounds that frightened even the Men in the Village!
    Was it a Worm or a Dragon, luckily, I didn't see one to find out!

The walk through the Gorge is on a well kept track of wood decking alongside the raging torrent, and Asphalt through Tunnels.
    I found it a very easy walk, and quite a bit, but not all, would be suitable for wheel-chairs.
    They quote the walk as taking 40mins, I don't know how long I took. I walked from one end to the other and back again, and enjoyed every minute of it!

ADMISSION IN 2011.....Adults...7.50sf
    Children under 6 years FREE .....Children 7 - 16 years 4.00SF

OPEN DAILY..... July & Aug 8am–6pm......
    April–June & Sept–Oct 9am–5pm
    Floodlit on summer nights (July & Aug Wed & Fri 9–11pm).
    It is closed during Winter, from November 1st - End of March......The Restaurant is still open.

LAKE BRIENZ

by balhannah Updated Nov 3, 2011

Lake Brienz

This is another one of the beautiful Swiss lakes!
    Located only a short distance from Lauterbrunnen, we decided to do a drive alongside the Lake. Their were a few Yacht's out on the nice Blue, calm and peaceful Lake. Mountain view's were fantastic again!
    Brienz and Interlaken would be the two biggest lakeside Town's, with other little ones scattered along the way.
    We did find places to pull off and be able to get out of the car and have a good look. While we were at one such place, a Paddle Steamer went sailing past. They run in Summer, not in Winter.

The website is for the Ferries.

• Sailing and Boating

INSIDE AARESCHULCHT

by balhannah Written Nov 2, 2011

Aareschlucht

Once I had paid my admission fee, I eagerly headed along the track towards the Gorge.
    I was given a map which had information on the main attraction's, and there was a signpost at the beginning of the trail.

It was an interesting walk, some of it was through a big Cavern which dated to WWII. Parts of the Gorge were very narrow, then later, it widened, light came in, and there were Tree's and fern's growing, rather pretty! I came across the tiny Schraybach Waterfall and other parts that looked calm, this is where it was wider, and there was gravel and sandbank's.
    The board-walk took me along the very edge, and underneath huge overhanging Cliff's, in some places, there was only just room to move past another person.
    There was quite a lot of water rushing and squeezing through the narrow spaces, roaring as it went.
    As alway's, on the walk back, I noticed some more that I had missed on the way up.

I really enjoyed the Aareschulcht!

STAUBBACH FALLS

by balhannah Written Nov 2, 2011

Staubbach Falls

We saw the Staubbach Falls as we drove into Lauterbrunnen. Wow! They were pretty good!
    The falls are 297 metres high, and had quite a good flow going over them.
    They can be seen from Trummelbach Falls and Wengen.

We only viewed from a distance, but you can get closer to them by going to the trail head which is beside a Barn close to Lauterbrunnen, then follow it up the steep hill to the entrance of a tin tunnel. Past the Tunnel, there are some stairs to climb and not long after, hey presto! You are behind the Waterfall!

Leave about an hour for the whole walk.

AEGERTENBACH FALLS

by balhannah Updated Nov 2, 2011

AEGERTENBACH  FALLS

The 261 metre high Aegertenbach Falls are situated between Staubbach Falls and Murrenbach Falls and right across from Trummelbach Falls.
    They are said to be ones with a light flow, but on the day we observed them, there seemed to be plenty of water going over, and plenty of spray! We viewed them from Trummelbach Fall's. Evidenty, you can't get close to them, but if you want a straight on view, then you need to walk between Trummelbach Falls and Murrenbach Falls.
    Also quite beautiful!

TRUMMELBACH FALLS - CHUTES 6-EXIT

by balhannah Updated Nov 2, 2011

Trummelbach falls

We are at Chute 6, and the water is powerful! This is where the Lift dropped us off, so it is downhill from now on. There are some stairs before we reach chutes 4&5! The "Corkscrew Falls" are located below here and we can see daylight and fabulous Mountain scenery. Still another two small chutes to find, and to see them, we took a side path to the bridge which is inbetween the last 2 chutes.

What can I say about the world's only glacier waterfalls that are accessible underground by lift, galleries, tunnels, paths and platforms.................

FANTASTIC......A MUST SEE!

It is quite an experience!

TRUMMELBACH FALLS- CHUTES 6-10

Walkway @ Trummelbach falls

We are lucky that we were visiting these falls now, as over the year's, more and more has been opened to the public.

Back in 1877 - 1886 it was only the lower falls, then in 1986, access to three upper falls a gallery and lookouts were added. The lower part of the gorge was connected to the upper half in 1990, and this made another three falls visible. Now, we can see 10 waterfalls, with the difference in height between the lowest and the highest fall -140 metres.

I think what first hit me, was the sound of the water, it was loud! Next was the sight of the water
    gushing through narrow places inbetween giant boulder's, probably having carved its way through here over the years.
    We were here in June, this is when the snow and glacier ice melts, so there was plenty of water going over, they say.....It could be 20'000 litres a second!

I decided to walk to the very top and then head back down, this took me from Chute 6 to Chute 10, this was the end, as far as I could go.
    The pathway was lit, I was glad of that, as the stream follows alongside the path, and all I could hear was the tremendously loud, powerful, rushing and frolicking water making its way down hill.
    There were some stairs, where if you go up them, you can look down to Chute's 8&9

Chute 6, is a pretty popular one, that everybody tends to photograph.
    So far, so good, I will head to downhill in the next tip......

TRUMMELBACH FALLS

Pay here for Trummelbach falls

Trummelbach Falls, and we had been told we "MUST SEE" these Fall's.

So, on our way from the Schilthorn cable-car station, we found the sign post and followed the road to the Trummelbach Cafe. This is where the Car park is, and there was plenty of room in June.
    All I bought from the Cafe, were drinks, and they were expensive!

We didn't think the fall's would be free, but where was the admission office?
    On asking, we were told, along the track, and this was so! Ticket's and souvenir's all in the one place.
    We continued walking along a pathway which was surrounded by pretty meadow flower's in bloom until we came to the area where a Lift operates. This is great for people with disabilities, and it is included in the price. The tunnel lift, is a funicular with a counterweight and was constructed in 1913.
    Up we went and alighted in the Cave, and so our journey exploring the tunnel's, caves and Waterfall's began.

ADMISSION IN 2011.......Adults....11 sf

If you come by bus, it will drop you off right in front of the Trummelbach Cafe

MURREN - WALSER SETTLEMENT

Murren

Murren is known as the "Village on the Wall!" One look at it, and you can see why!

The Village dates back to 1257, when it was a Walser settlement.
    "The Walser" are German-speaking people and are named after the Wallis (Valais.) The Walser settled the upper part of the Wallis about 1000 years ago, some in the pretty town of Murren. If you walk through the town, you will still find some "Walser" buildings and people who speak the dialect.

Since 1965, the Schilthorn Aerial Cableway stops here, and with our ticket, we could hop off if we so wished, just make sure you leave enough time for these extra stops! The village is in a wonderful location, and even better, a "no car" town.

This is just something of interest I read, and thought I would share............
    Back in 1894, there were two Horse drawn tram cars that ran from the Grand Hotel and Kurhause to the Murren mountain railway station. One was used for people, the other for goods.
    The Horse drawn tramline, had a gauge of only 0.50 metres and was 455 metres long was the narrowest and shortest tram service in Switzerland.
    The service lasted until 1930, and in that time had carried a grand total of approx 20000 passengers.

• Mountain Climbing

SCHILTHORN AERIAL CABLEWAY

by balhannah Updated Nov 1, 2011

At Stechelberg which is further towards the end of the Lauterbrunnen valley, is where the Cable Cars are for the trip up the Mountain to Schilthorn.
    There is a big Car parking lot where you get some time for Free, and the rest has to be paid for.
    Also, quite near the Carpark, is another nice waterfall.

The ticket office was easily seen and we bought our tickets, then joined quite a long queue waiting for the next Cable Car or two.
    I went for a look around while my husband stood in line, and found a show-case of Alpine Animal's.
    That killed a little time, and it wasn't long before the Cable Car arrived.

To reach Schilthorn, we had to change Cable Car's four times. We started at Stechelberg, next station was Gimmenwald, next Murren, next Birg, and the last was Schilthorn. We could get on and off at any of the station's, as we had paid for a trip to the top.

COST IN 2011.................94.80 CHF RETURN OR 55.20 CHF One way.

Swiss Half-Fare Card/Swiss Card are valid, Swiss Pass valid to Mürren (50% reduction from Mürren - Schilthorn). Junior Card is valid.

BOND....JAME'S BOND....

Who?.....007, of course!!

That's right, the 1969 film "on Her Magesty's Service" was filmed at Piz Gloria on top of Schilthorn Mountain, and here I was, standing where 007 would have been in the Movie!

The Actor in this Movie, was Australian, "Geroge Lazenby," and this was his one and only Jame's Bond Movie he starred in.

In the Movie, Piz Gloria, which is the Restaurant now, is Blofeld's clinical research institute. Bond spends some time there, eventually destroying the whole place.

Inside Piz Gloria, we found quite a bit of information on the making of the Movie, trouble was, we could only look at the picture's as there wasn't anything written in English, still, it gave us an idea of what went on.

Several week's after returning home, we watched the Movie on Television.
    This time, we could say, "We have been there!"

VIEW FROM 2970 METRES.

View from top of Schilthorn

In just 32 minutes travelling by Cable car, we reached the 2970metre Schilthorn summit.
    We had come out of the fog and into the sunshine.
    We made our way from the Cable Car and out onto the viewing platform. Disappointment vanished!

Yes, it still was fairly foggy, but just a little lower down to where we were standing.

The result, Snow capped Mountain peaks popping out of the clouds, that is all we could see, but it would be one of the most beautiful sight's we had ever seen!
    We walked around several times, just hoping the fog might lift, as we couldn't see any valley views or much of other mountains.

Then we thought, we would go into the Restaurant for Lunch and see what the scenery was like later.

I think we were lucky in a way, as how many Tourist's would see the Schilthorn Mountain like this!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Sheep With Bells in the Lauterbrunnen Valley

by Mikebb Written Apr 20, 2011

Sheep - Lauterbrunnen Valley

Whilst walking a trail not far from the town my wife found some sheep grazing on a green pasture. These sheep had a bell around their neck and as they moved you would hear the bell ring.

I knew cows had bells but had never seen sheep with bells.

These photos were taken by my wife.

The grass is much greener than the sheep paddocks in Western Australia where we live.

Instant Answers: Lauterbrunnen

Comments

Lauterbrunnen Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Lauterbrunnen things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lauterbrunnen sightseeing.

View all Lauterbrunnen hotels