Wengen Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Wengen

• Greggor58's Profile Photo

ELEVATION Sickness..

by Greggor58 Written Aug 3, 2010

When you’re visiting at the “Top of Europe” there is more than one sign around advising you to move slowly. It’s also mentioned in the literature as a caution when visiting here. “Please go slowly” are the exact words on the signs.

I personally experienced a few symptoms of this phenomenon, slight headache, a little bit nauseuous and I was easily fatigued when walking and going up and down stairs.

You are visiting a tourist attraction that is located at a VERY high altitude and as such it’s hard on a person physically to exert oneself. The body is NOT accustomed to working at this high elevation so heed the cautions to NOT move about too quickly.

As it happened…on the train coming down from Jaungfraujauch to Kline Scheidegg in the seat directly behind me a person ran into difficulties and passed out. They worked on the man for quiet some time, unconscious and irregular breathing, they finally had to stop the train once it got out of the tunnel and met with a paramedic helicopter to evacuate the man. It was certainly a scary incident that doesn’t have to repeat itself. I wonder how the man managed and whether or not his holiday was totally ruined by this event.

I over heard an employee of the train saying that it’s not uncommon for this to happen.

People will over exert themselves and the body cant handle it…so a word of CAUTION…heed the advice and DO NOT OVER EXERT yourself when you’re visiting the “Top of Europe”. Please take this seriously.

• Skiing and Boarding
    • Hiking and Walking

• stanian's Profile Photo

Heimwehfluh Rodelbahn Nr Interlaken.

by stanian Updated Jun 20, 2006

This is billed as "The Fun Hill", not for us it wasn't, it was raining for the second day in a row. We went up on the funicular, had a little walk around and looked at the views and watched a very nice model railway show. Then we decided to go down on the rodelbahn. Big mistake! My eldest son went down first. Myself and my three year old son were strapped in and told to try the break, at slow speed it worked perfectly, then off we went round the first bend and down. It got faster so I tried to slow down by pulling the handle towards me squashing my son, but not slowing down the car faster and faster we went throwing myself and my son around like ragdolls I was pulling harder on handle and the hand grip loosend and pulled off in my hand.
    I wasn't supposed to do it I know, but I had to use my feet bashing against trees to try to slow down.
    At the bottom my eldest son was there and still sitting in his car when we banged in to him at almost full speed, he was being told to exit the car immediately but in German.
    Finger cut, legs bruised, hardly able to walk and feeling lucky to be alive I gulped on my hip flask full of Slovenian schnapps thanking the drink gods that it hadn't fell out.
    I certainly will not be having another white knuckle ride on one these contraptions when it is raining.
    The rain continued for two more days and several families lost there homes , we were lucky.

• Theme Park Trips

Instant Answers: Wengen

Comments

Wengen Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Wengen warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Wengen sightseeing.