Lucerne Favorites

• romanhighlander's Profile Photo

Blue Ball Festival

by romanhighlander Updated Aug 16, 2007
    At the Blue Ball festival

Favorite thing: If you ever plan to go to Lucerne, July 20-July 30 would be a good time as you will get to enjoy the Blue Ball Festival. With all kinds of music (live) for 10 days running it is sure not to be missed. Enjoy the beauty of the location during he day and music during the night!!! Needless to say, that it has carnival atmosphere and to top it up....you will also get to shop at the stalls that sell variety of goods. Talking to one owner, who was from Zurich, he said that they come every years to Lucerne for these 10 days as thousands are expected. If the weather holds, you will enjoy yourself.

• romanhighlander's Profile Photo

World's steepest cog wheel

by romanhighlander Written Aug 13, 2007

Lake Luerne

Favorite thing: Do not miss the worlds steepest cog wheel train going up to 2100 metre to the peak of mount Pilatus. Take the cable car ride from there, and then the bus to the Centre and DO NOT MISS the boat ride on Lake Lucerne.

Fondest memory: Breathtaking scenery....

• Hiking and Walking
    • Skiing and Boarding

• Helenbb's Profile Photo

Hotel : Weggis !!!

by Helenbb Written Feb 27, 2007

outside hotel . beautiful ??:)

Favorite thing: i strongly recommended this hotel . 3 star hotel, located in a very peaceful sport , near lake Luzerne , with good lake view .

HERTENSTEIN

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Congress Centre

by sandysmith Written Sep 24, 2006

Congress Centre and Fountain

Favorite thing: The Congress centre adjacent to the train station and boat quai is always bustling with activity - day and night. Good place to sit outside at a table and people watch. The newish fountain adds an interesting element and is one of the ffew feature of the town lit up at night too - see night pics travelogue.

• Madelyn313's Profile Photo

KKL Luzern

by Madelyn313 Updated Apr 6, 2006

before rehearsal...inside kKL

Favorite thing: When I travel the single most important place for me to be is where I end up onstage. Every city I tour to I wonder...what kind of acoustics does this next hall have? Will my voice be heard? WIll the sound be soaked up by the audience and the seats? I have performed twice in the KKL and each time I have had the easiest time getting the best sound to my audience. Not to mention the locals are the most receptive and welcoming audience I have encountered in this area of Europe.

Fondest memory: I think my fondest memory of Lucerne is my last gig at Kunst und Kongresszentrum Luzern with the Pacific Symphony and the Paul Smith Singers. We had just finished selections from the concert version of Porgy and Bess and our conductor Carl St. Clair, motioned to us to do an encore. Now we we all a bit nervous about performing a Spiritual acapella in front of an almost sold out crowd, and orchestra--having very little rehearsal time. But we did it...and got a standing ovation too. It is funny how situations like that move your spirit to do things that you never thought that you could.

• Music
    • Business Travel

• juniperjune's Profile Photo

Money

by juniperjune Written Dec 29, 2005

Favorite thing: Ok, so if you are like me and had a mental fart and forgot to bring Swiss Francs, do not despair! They take Euro dollars as well. They take all bills (no coins) and they will give you your change in Swiss Francs. We Canadians and Americans have an excellent exchange rate for the Swiss Franc, so it would be worth it for you to get the Swiss Franc before going.

• Kaynisa's Profile Photo

Romantic lake Views

by Kaynisa Written Apr 7, 2005

30/4/2004

Favorite thing: well you can just come to switzerland for your honeymoon for all you want... the view here magnificant and it just gave you the falling in love all over again - feelings...

nice place to be.

Fondest memory: shopping and also the views. one thing that will always be in my mind forever and ever.

• Skibbe's Profile Photo

Culture Show

by Skibbe Updated Aug 10, 2004

Lena the Yodeling Lady

Fondest memory: The Swiss Cultural Show, where I met Lena the Yodeling Lady, who recruited me to play the Alp horn. Unfortunately, I don't think they wiped the mouthpiece down very well and I had a cold for the rest of the trip. But it was fun anyway.

• Music

• amsterdam_vallon's Profile Photo

Luzern Walking Tour

by amsterdam_vallon Written Jul 24, 2004

Luzern city map

Favorite thing: If you have some time and want to enjoy the old town, the best and only way to do that is to follow the walking tour shown on that map.

The Walking tour is shown in red
    The Pedestrian Zone is shown in yellow

- The Old City Squares #31-33
    - The Rathaus #30
    - The Hofkirche #9
    - The Lowendenkmal (the Lion Monument) #14

You can find a complete description of all star sights landmark in the « must see activities ».

Fondest memory: The Walking tour takes about 3 hours. I suggest you to start early in the morning (like us) to avoid been push around by the other tourists. And doing that in the morning can free you up some time to do the Mt. Pilatus excursion...

My reflexion...
    « We start at 8:00 in the morning and it was like we were the only tourists on the street...and we did have the time to take some pictures...»

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

painted houses

by call_me_rhia Updated Dec 23, 2003

detail of a decorated house

Favorite thing: The best thing about Lucerne is the Old Town: about seven city blocks brightly decorated with beautiful and old frescoes. You can find some of the best examples in three squares: Weinmarkt, Kornmarkt and Hirschenplatz.

Fondest memory: Definitely the houses in Hirschenplatz: a real jewel of 15th century architecture. Interesting buildings to see are also the Rathaus (Town Hall) and a guild-hall: the Zunfthaus zum Pfisten

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Lucerne's charm

by call_me_rhia Updated Dec 23, 2003

a general view of lucerne

Favorite thing: Lucerne lies in the heart of Switzerland, on the shore of the Vierwaldstättersee, or else Lake of the Four Forest Cantons. In the middle age Lucerne was Switzerland's busiest market town - and today it the medieval character still remains. The old town has been closed to traffic and it's now a pedestrian area - medieval buildings cluster around small squares with fountains in their centre. Modern life comes in the shape of the numerous shops that line the little cobblestone lanes and streets.

Fondest memory: Generally speaking the buildings: each of them has its unique charm - a unique decoration, a unique iron-wrought sign. I also like the atmosphere: although touristic, it does not look artificial - there's very few places/bars/restaurants that one would call tourist-traps. For me Lucerne is Switzerland as its best.

• tini58de's Profile Photo

Guided Tour

by tini58de Written Aug 20, 2003

map of Lucerne

Favorite thing: We got a guided tour though Lucerne, which took about 1 1/2 hours. The guide was fantastic and showed us around the most important sights, that are within walking distance. We even took some time off and just sat on the banks of the river Reuss and enjoyed the beautiful atmosphere.....

• b1bob's Profile Photo

b1bob on the alpenhorn

by b1bob Written Jun 8, 2003

b1bob on the alpenhorn

Fondest memory: Most of my American friends and neighbours have seen those Ricola (cough drop) commercials where a bunch of folks get together and blow those long alpenhorns. On 29 June 1987, my group went to a Swiss folklore show at the Casino Kursaal. I was called upon to demonstrate the alpenhorn. Some folks might beg to differ, but I didn't have enough hot air to make it go.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

The River Reuss

by b1bob Written Jun 8, 2003

b1bob in front of the River Reuss

Fondest memory: In both 1986 and 1987, when I visited Lucerne, it was abnormally hot. The River Reuss looked inviting, but the first time, when I took off my shoes and socks and dipped a toe in there, I wondered when the ice truck left. That'll give you a new outlook on life, friends and neighbours.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Last tower

by sandysmith Written Dec 1, 2002

Musegg

Favorite thing: The walk down to the last tower in the Musegg is fairly steep, but not long. The tower is a huge circular structure with a gateway through it. You eventually follow the river down to the Spreuerbrucke - the over covered bridge in Lucerne.

Instant Answers: Lucerne

Comments

Lucerne Favorites

Reviews and photos of Lucerne favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lucerne sightseeing.