Been here? Rate It!
the wonderful Mount Rigi
Mount Rigi is a wonderful place for Tourists. On the mount you will have a brilliant view to the lakes Zugersee, Vierwaldstaettersee.
Have you ever visited Mount. Rigi in the moonlight? In the winter, you can go skiing in the moonlight.
Fun and action are guaranteed
- Skiing and Boarding
- Mountain Climbing
- Family Travel
Excursion to Mt Rigi
A great scenic trip from Lucerne which I found much more worthwhile than a round trip to Mt Pilatus:
1. Beautiful 360 degree panoramic view with good visibility of some famous peaks and lakes.
2. The trip is fully covered under Swiss Pass with no surcharge / supplement : Lucerne to Vitznau by Boat, Connect to the historic Rigi Bahn mountain cogwheel rail which takes one right to the peak (Rigi Kulm), Descend from the other side taking the blue cogwheel train from Rigi Kulm to Arthur Goldau, board the SBB Train to Lucerne (the main Arthur Goldau station is around 400 meters down a straight path from the cogwheel rail station). There are many waterfalls enroute from Rigi Kulm to Arthur Goldau.
3. Whilst going up to Rigi Kulm from Vitznau, do not forget to get down at the intermediate stop of Kaltbad which offers excellent hiking trails and an exciting horse carriage ride (this needs to be booked in advance....can be done on-line from the main Rigibahn site. We were lucky to make a last minute request at the Tourist office next to the Kaltbad rail station and got the carriage in the next hour. The route is enchanting and the kids will love it. The owner Felix is a charming character, who gives good impromptu commentary en-route :-).
- Mountain Climbing
- Family Travel
The Queen of the Mountains
A 6000 ft /1800m mountain where you'll enjoy the breathtaking views of the Swiss alps and lakes. A short walk up to its peak is a must. It is traced up that the first visitors here were Mark Twain and Queen Victoria. During winter season, sledging or just a walk through this winter paradise is enjoying. Can be reached either by cable car or by cogwheel train.
- Hiking and Walking
Excursion to Mount Rigi
The other big mountain that can be (and must be) visited from Lucerne is Mount Rigi - at 1800m above sea level, called "Queen of Mountains". From Lucerne you take one of the SGV boats to Vitznau. From Vitznau you take the cogwheel trains operated by Mt. Rigi Railways (optional trains are spectacular: 2 steam locomotives from the early 20th century, 2 belle epoque saloon coaches) up to the Rigi Kulm for a view of Lake Lucerne, the Alps and the city of Lucerne. You then descend from Rigi Kaltbad to Weggis with the Panoramic Aerial Cableway.
More about the Mt.Rigi Railways:
The swiss engineer Niklaus Riggenbach constructed -Rigi Railway in the mid-19th century, creating the first cogwheel railways. Riggenbach's invention, which would guide trains across steep climbs by means of cogwheels and toothed racks, was patented in France in 1863. Jointly with fellow engineers Olivier Zschokke and Adolf Naef, he submitted an application to the canton of Lucerne for permission to build the Vitznau-Rigi Railway. When it became known that a similar railway was already in operation in the United States, the Council of Lucerne granted the concession on 9 June 1869. The construction of the railway began in mid-September 1869. On Riggenbach's birthday on 21 May 1870, locomotive No. 1, called the 'Stadt Luzern', made its first 300-metre trial run. Finally, on 21 May 1871, the first mountain railway in Europe was officially opened. Riggenbach himself drove the festive train to the heights of Mt. Rigi, as far as the terminus station Rigi Staffelhöhe (cantonal boundary between Lucerne and Schwyz). The rail installation, buildings and rolling stock cost SFr. 1250 million.
It had been anticipated that 50,000 passengers would use the Vitznau-Rigi Railway annually. But during the first year of operation the figure totalled more than 60,000, and in 1874 the 100,000 mark was passed for the first time. The highest number was reached in the centenary year of 1971, with 578,070 passengers
If you have the time then take the boat from Lucerne to Weggis, board the tramway and train up to Rigi and/or do some hiking up there. You have a wonderful view and hiking is quite easy. Alternatively you can take the train up/down from/to Goldau.
- Hang Gliding
- Hiking and Walking
Don't just stay in Lucerne!
Take a steamer/rail trip and go to the top of a nearby mountain. Rigi is a great day out. Take cogwheel railway to top of mountain (Rigi Kulm) and walk back downhill to a train stop lower down the mountain. You need strong shoes - lightweight trainers are not really suitable. Views are brilliant - and you feel better after walking off all that swiss food!
Take the boat from Lucerne to the base camp at rigi.. and the train up.. its a great ride with some incredible views.. we walked back down.. and really enjoyed doing so! (this coming from a person that hates walking at the best of times!!)
- Book online.
- Hotels.com See maps & reviews for over 140,000 Hotels worldwide!
- Save Up To 50% On Hotels
- Orbitz.com Find great deals on Orbitz & pay no hotel change or cancel fees
Explore the World
- Savannah Things to Do
- Sorrento Things to Do
- Laoag City Things to Do
- Bacolod City Things to Do
- Windsor Things to Do
- Kennebunkport Things to Do
- Paris Things to Do
- Springfield Things to Do
- Eureka Springs Things to Do
- Killeen Things to Do
- Mellieha Things to Do
- Las Vegas Things to Do
- Medan Things to Do
- Sun City Things to Do