Zürich Restaurants

Interior
    Emmenthalerwurst

Most Recent Restaurants in Zürich

• Ekahau's Profile Photo

Sternen Grill: Local Bratworst.

by Ekahau Written Jun 28, 2013

Sternen Grill

I was walking down the street in Bellevue Zurich iacross from the opera house when I saw this giant line in front of a place that solid bratwurst so I got in line it was worth the wait Good bratwurst. I noticed people picking up a Bun and small cup of mustard so I did the same. I noticed people were looking for any empty seat and joining. I love doing that as it give one a chance to meet the locals. The locals all said Sternen Grill was the best for local comfort food.

Favorite Dish: What I got was what 9 out of 10 got in front of me in line at Sternen that was the white veal sausage (StGallen kalbwurst) with a tasty local roll and very spicy mustard.

• Music

Perser Restaurant: Persian in Zurich

by Ekahau Updated Jun 28, 2013

Perser Persian Restaurant Zurich

this is a cute small (very small) little Persian/Iranian run by one Persian man he takes your order and than cooks your food. Realty enjoyed the personal family feeling like you had your personal cheif.

Favorite Dish: Persian lamb shish kebab cooked on a bed of charcoal with green pepper chili pepper and whole tomato the lamb was first marinated in, oil, onion, sumac, thyme, paprika, cayenne, allspice, cinnamon, cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper.

The marinated lamb cubes with onion and pepers were threaded on a skewers, grilled turning, until charred than brought to the table steaming hot

yes vevy tasty

Restaurant Cedre Bellevue: Shawarma Lenanse style - the real deal

by Ekahau Updated Jun 26, 2013

Cedre Bellevue

Lebanese restaurants with walk up Shawarma window. It serves the same good Middle eastern food with many different types of mezze cold and warm starters.

Open 9 am until Midnight

Favorite Dish: Shawarma is one of my all time comfort foods it is Arabic meat dish which I like as lamb but can be chicken, turkey, beef, veal, or even mixed meats it is layered on a rotating spit and grilled all day long cooking the outside. Than they shave off the outer cooked meat. My favirate way to eat it is as a “sandwich” on pita bread with lots of with accompaniments like tomatoes cooked on the spit tomato, and cucumber. Toppings include tahini, hummus, and pickles

• Music

Restaurant Masola: Inside the zoo: Restaurant Masola

by yumyum Written Jun 9, 2013

View from a window table

The Restaurant Masola is located inside the Masola hall at the zoo. The Masola hall is a tropic hall with the microcosmos of the Masola National Park in Madagascar.

The restaurant is self-service and is very family friendly. It offers the usual fast food stuffs, salads, snacks, drinks, ice creams etc. It is open, when the zoo is open.

But for special events/dinners, the restaurant is open in the evenings too. Please enquire directly at the zoo for such events.

The restaurant is one large hall with a huge window front, from where you may look at the rain forest.

Favorite Dish: On this visit I had a Nussstange for CHF 3.80 and a cappucino for CHF 4.10.

Café Zino: Café Zino at Stauffacher

by yumyum Written Jun 9, 2013

Cappucino at Caf�� Zino

The Café Zino right at the beginning of a side street at Stauffacher tram stop has been around for many years.

I recently revisited this café after many years for a cappucino with a workmate. Since it was a weekday after 7 pm, the place was very quiet. Service was prompt.

The interior is like cafés used to be. It's practical but not modern. They have the usual drinks and crossants, cakes, snacks that you would expect to find in a café. At lunchtime they also serve menus. In the warm season they have a few tables outside.

• leics's Profile Photo

Santa Lucia: Good pizza....

by leics Updated Jun 4, 2013

Delicious pizzas.

By Wednesday evening I was truly sausaged-out, so was very pleased indeed when Yumyum suggested we visited an Italian restaurant.

This branch of Santa Lucia (there are at least 3 in Zurich) is on Marktgasse in the Niederdorf district, just up from the Rathaus. It's very pleasant indeed and, on a midweek evening, was pretty busy with (it seemed to me) largely local people...always a good sign.

I had a pizza al funghi (19CHF) and Yumyum had a pizza gorgonzola (21CHF). Both were beautifully cooked, with thin and crispy bases (as pizza bases should be) and generous toppings. My 'funghi' included dabs of pesto, very tasty indeed.

Service was smiley and courteous and the whole restaurant had a relaxed and pleasant ambience.

Another good-value (for Zurich) place to eat which is well worth seeking out.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Rheinfelder Bierhaus

by HORSCHECK Updated Jun 2, 2013

Rheinfelder Bierhaus

I visited the Rheinfelder Bierhaus twice with VT members. The first time in October 2011 and the second visit was in May 2013. Among locals the place is also known as Bloody Thumb (De Bluetig Duume).

The Rheinfelder Bierhaus is a mixture of a Swiss beer hall and a restaurant with traditional and hearty meals. Day specials are available as well. The interior of the restaurant is held in a simple wooden style. On summer days a few tables are available on the street.

In October 2011 I opted for a Swiss Cordon Bleu with fries for 23,50 CHF and a local Cardinal beer for 6,20 CHF.

In May 2013 I ordered pork schnitzel with noodles from the day specials. It was accompanied by a yummy bouillon as starter. With 21,50 CHF the menu was reasonably priced.

On both my visits service was quite quick and my dishes were filling and tasty. Waiters can be a bit rough, but that seems to be a local custom.

The Rheinfelder Bierhaus is probably one of the cheaper options in Zurich's city centre, therefore it is higly recommended for budget travellers who like to enjoy the local atmosphere of the place.

• Trains

The Oliver Twist: English Pub 2

by leics Updated Jun 2, 2013

Exterior

For someone who doesn't go into 'English' (or 'Irish') pubs abroad Zurich had a strange effect on me...I went into 2 of them. I think it was the weather: grey, damp and chilly...so much like Uk weather that it must have made me subconsciously homesick!

Anyway, I deliberately sought out this place because it was mentioned in my Rough Guide as an Anglophile/ex-pat base and I was curious. Actually, because I visited mid-afternoon and mid-week, I was pretty much the only customer. But the Aussie barman was chatty and the pub interior was...well...absolutely lovely for a warm, dry, comfortable read of my book. It's part of a chain of 'English' pubs originally set up in 1968 and part-owned by Bass Charrington. They pulled out in the late 1970s and the 'Mr Pickwick' chain is now concentrated in the German-speaking part of Switzerland.

There's a good range of beers on offer, including Swiss beer on draft (as well as some English beers and the inevitable Guinness). The pub has several rooms and is warmly red, with lots of dark, polished wood, buttoned and cushioned upholstery, small tables and unobtrusive background music. And...best of all, from my point of view..it has a book exchange corner! So I was able to pick up a new English-language book to keep me going. :-)

They do meals too, burgers, fish & chips, salads and so on. I didn't eat there, but thought the menu was very reasonably-priced (see website for info). You can even, if you are really desperately homesick, buy Walkers crisps.

I liked this place very much indeed. Whether I'd like it so much if I weren't English, or if I visited on a busy weekend evening, I don't know...but it was a very cosy place to while away a wet afternoon. :-)

The Big Ben: English pub 1

by leics Written Jun 2, 2013

Exterior

This place only provides 'snacks' (bruschetta, croque monsieur etc).

I'd never normally go into 'English' or 'Irish' pubs when i'm travelling but for some reason I simply couldn't find anywhere else which offered me somewhere warm, quiet and dry on my wet, chilly first afternoon. And I needed a beer.....and the Big Ben was near my hotel.

It is a 'classic' English pub in terms of its layout: a bar where you buy what you want, as you would in the UK (there are lots of signs pointing out that there is no table service) with draft beer and optics behind, small tables, a dartboard (electronic) and fairly dim lighting. It does at least offer Swiss draft beer (Feldschloessen) and, on both occasions I visited in the afternoon, it was quiet and comfortable enough.

Somewhere pleasant enough to escape the rain on a miserable afternoon, and somewhere which I suspect is much livelier and noisier on weekend evenings (it was pretty lively on midweek evenings when I walked by).

But not nearly as pleasant, or as English-pub-like, as the Oliver Twist (see tip)!

Rheinfelder Bierhalle: Beer, sausages and more.....2

by leics Updated Jun 2, 2013

Exterior

Another 'local Swiss pub' and one which was absolutely heaving with people when I first passed it in the middle of Sunday afternoon...complete with accordian band playing (I assume) traditional tunes.

In fact, it was pretty much heaving with people every time I walked past, which I did on most days because my hotel was very nearby. That's always a good sign, imo, so I decided to eat there one night.

The Rheinfelder Bierhalle has been around since 1870. It's plainly furnished and just a down-to-earth place to eat, drink and be merry with friends. No frills, no fancies...just loud (at times), lively and comfortable enough, with filling food and good beer.

There are daily menus ('specials') as well a standard menu. I chose the daily special of Emmenthalerwurst (a sausage with bits of Emmenthal cheese in the mix) and vegetables (green beans and boiled potatoes) accompanied by draft Feldschloessen beer (a Swiss beer). The meal was well-cooked and filling and reasonably-priced (for Zurich), costing less than 20CHF. The female server was rather brusque to begin with (not sure why, maybe it was because I was a solo female?) but when it came to paying the bill she suddenly warmed up, became very smiley and started to speak in excellent English (having previously allowed me to struggle along with my poor German). Which was rather odd......

If you are looking for somewhere with good, basic filling food at reasonable prices then this place, like the Rheinfelder Bierhaus, is a good choice.

• Women's Travel

• leics's Profile Photo

Rheinfelder Bierhaus: Beer, sausages and more 1.

by leics Written Jun 2, 2013

Bratwurst and roesti

I ate at the Rheinfelder Bierhaus on my first night (a Sunday) in Zurich, in the company of VT-ers Yumyum and Horscheck. And I ate there again on the wet, chilly Tuesday evening because my first experience had been fine and I'd simply run out of looking-for-somewhere-to-eat energy!

It's not a huge place and it's very simply furnished but the food is good, filling and reasonably-priced (for Zurich). And the draft beer (Cardinal) is also good.

There's a fixed menu and a separate, limited menu of what we in the UK would call 'daily specials' My first meal was bratwurst in 'onion sauce' (which was actually onion gravy) with roesti, which was very tasty and very filling. My second was from the daily menu: 'rindfleischvogel', a sort of beef olive: a seasoned minced-meat mixture (in this case, beef) folded into an envelope of very-thinly-sliced meat and served with gravy, green beans and (if I remember correctly) 'eierenspaetzle'...tiny egg-pasta 'spaetzle' which I think had been fried after cooking. Whatever, they and the rindfleischvogel were both delicious.

Both dishes cost around 20CHF: not cheap but very reasonable for central Zurich.

Service is courteous enough but down-to-earth. Don't expect fawning waiters because you won't get them!

And don't automatically expect a table all to yourself in any bierhaus. It's quite usual to be placed on the same table as another group or to have people placed at your table once you're seated. That's not a problem for me but it might be for those from cultures (e.g. the UK) where sharing tables is not the norm.

The Rheinfelder Bierhaus is a good place to find basic, filling and well-cooked food at reasonable prices in the heart of historical Niederdorf district. It's certainly popular and has good reviews on many sites, so it's probably a good idea to reserve a table in advance.

• Women's Travel

• MM212's Profile Photo

Conti: Conti: Another good italian restaurant

by MM212 Written May 20, 2013

From the same owners of Bindella comes Conti, another white table cloth, tasty Italian restaurant. Unlike Bindella, however, Conti is located outside the historic district, not too far from the opera house. I would definitely return.

• Luxury Travel
    • Wine Tasting

Ly's Asia Take Away Restaurant Prime Dine: Ly's Asia

by yumyum Written Dec 3, 2012

Entrance to Ly's Asia

Ly's Asia is located in a former industrial building right behind the Prime Tower. We had a round table by the window from where we had a good view. I visited with VTers dyesebel and barbskie for our annual Christmas dinner and we really liked the decoration.

Food was very good although in my dish I didn't taste the curry. I had Mamak Mee Goreng and I wish it would have been a bit spicy. My dish consisted of Udon noodles, chicken, prawns and veggies. It cost CHF 25.00.

For starters I had Satay Gai for CHF 13.00. I especially liked the Satay sauce. I also had two portions of Jasmin tea at CHF 6.00 each. The tea pot held 1.5 times the size of the cup. Later I had a Latte Macchiato which was yummy at CHF 5.80.

We had a relaxed evening at Ly's and would return any time.

On the menu they have Japanese sushi, a Thai/Malaysian section and some Chinese dishes.

Spaghetti Factory: Spaghetti Factory Rosenhof

by yumyum Written Dec 3, 2012
    Spaghetti Factory Rosenhof

Recently in November 2012 we visited the Spaghetti Factory Rosenhof with a few workmates for lunch. It's located right smack in the old town on the main drag.

Service was swift and on their menu they have almost only Spaghetti. I opted for Jimmy Carbonara regular size which came at CHF 18.50 and was yummy. Usually when I order spaghetti Carbonara I can hardly finish them but this time I was actually still hungry after finishing them. It seems to me that the portions here are on the small side. You can order a bigger portion (plus CHF 3.00) or for some kinds a smaller one (minus CHF 3.00). The soft drink came at CHF 4.50.

The high room with some old looking stained glass windows is rather pretty.

Wirtschaft Ziegelhuette

by yumyum Updated Dec 3, 2012

Zueri Geschnaetzeltes with Roeschti

We visited here with some workmates a couple of times for an evening dinner most recently in November 2012. The food was delicious, the service very attentive and the atmosphere just right.

The restaurant has been around for decades and is situated a short walk above the part of Zurich called Schwamendingen right on the edge of the forest. Parking for customers available to a certain extent.

In summer there is a large outdoor terrace. They also have a "Kegelbahn" which is a kind of bowling.

The restaurant buildings are owned by the city of Zurich and there is a tenant. The current one hasn't been there for very long but he also runs other good restaurants, so the quality of the food is just right. They serve a lot of Swiss favourites and have a good selection of wines.

Reservations by phone only.

Opening times:
    Tuesday till Thursday 09.30 - 23.00
    Friday and Saturday 09.30 - 24.00
    Sunday 09.30 - 22.00

The restaurant is closed on major public holidays. For more info check their website.

They also have various cultural happenings there.

Favorite Dish: I opted for a veal cordon-bleu with French fries but you could also have just vegis or Roeschti etc. on my first visit.

On my second visit after the reopening I had "Zueri Geschnaetzeltes with Roeschti" which was delicious.

All ingredients are either organic or from farmers nearby or in Switzerland.

Instant Answers: Zürich

Comments

Zürich Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Zürich restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Zürich sightseeing.