Mürren Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Mürren

Looking for Birg

by littlesam1 Updated Oct 15, 2003

Favorite thing: If you look at the top of the mountain in the picture you will see the small landing at Birg. This was our destination leaving Murren. There is a small building at Birg where you change cable cars. There is also s small restaurant at Birg with a deck overlooking the summit. You can see the distance and the altitude we are climbing to in the picture.

Arrival at Schilthorn

by littlesam1 Written Oct 15, 2003

Favorite thing: Here we enter the bottom of Piz Gloria as we arrive at Schilthorn. Its been a long journey and really worth the time for me. This is the same area you see Bond arrive at Piz Gloria in the movie. And the adventure is just beginning. After arriving we did some hiking, had lunch, bought souvineers, and took lots of pictures.

Check out that shadow

by littlesam1 Written Oct 15, 2003

Favorite thing: Leaving Birg we continued the climb to the top of Schilthorn. This picture is really one of my favorites. If you look at the rocks you will see a dark dot. That is the shadow of our cable car below. I took this from the window and thought it would make a great VT tip. Its funny how I now think of my pictures not just for myself but also for this site.

Entering Birg and looking back at Murren

by littlesam1 Updated Oct 15, 2003

Favorite thing: I really like this picture. This was taken entering the station house at Birg and looking down at the village of Murren. You can see the cables and the distance we have traveled. It was literally breath taking. If you click on the picture and enlarge it you can see the small dots which make up the village of Murren below the cables.

Starting the climb

by littlesam1 Written Oct 15, 2003

Favorite thing: We boarded the cable car and started our climb to Birn, the first stop on the way to Schilthorn. These are the same type of cars you see in the Bond movie. So for me this was really exciting on several levels. This is the view when you first leave the housing area of the cable car.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

Murren and the ride to Schilthorn

by littlesam1 Updated Oct 15, 2003

Favorite thing: We arrived in the village of Murren. It was very picturesque. The streets were lined with small hotels, shops, and houses all decorated with beautiful flowers. The village was spotless. We had to walk through the village to reach the cable car to take up to Schilthorn. Pictured here is the sign on the building housing the cable cars. You can see the cable coming out of the building and extending towards the mountain.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

Still riding the inclined railway

by littlesam1 Written Oct 15, 2003

Favorite thing: In this picture the angle of the incline is even more evident. This was only the beginning of the journey to Murren and yet the trip itself was beautiful and worth the time. There are not roads leading to Murren and cars are in the village. The only way to reach Murren is by this inclined railway or by aero cable car.

We continue out climb

by littlesam1 Written Oct 15, 2003

Favorite thing: You can see the incline in the picture as we continue to climb the mountain in the rail car. Our shared our car with a family from England. The wife was scared of heights. Whatever possessed her to take this trip I will never know. She sat in the car in the middle of the seat and did not look out from side to side. Its a shame because she really missed a beautiful ride.

Starting the journey to Schilthorn

by littlesam1 Updated Oct 15, 2003

Favorite thing: To get to Schilthorn you have to take several types of transportation as I mentioned on the opening page. We had purchased a Swiss Pass before we left the United States and it covered the cost of most of the transportation. I would recommend purchasing one if you visit Switzerland.

We took the train the Interlaken. From there we transferred to a smaller private owned train to Lauterbrunnen. At Lauterbrunnen we boarded an inclined railway. This went straight up the side of a mountain at a sharp incline. I took pictures through the large glass windows that were on the car. We had excellent views for the entire ride. Pictured here is the view to my right as we began our climb. Pictures do not begin to capture the beauty.

Returning from the hike

by littlesam1 Written Oct 10, 2003

Jim at Piz Gloria

Favorite thing: Here is that other guy in a hat, Jim, returning from one of the trails. We had a great time walking around and just enjoying the scenery. The views were beautfiul. But I had to keep reminding myself to take in the reality of what I was seeing and wipe out the James Bond thoughts.

Walking at 10,000 feet

by littlesam1 Updated Oct 10, 2003

Larry at 10,000 feet

Favorite thing: This was such a great opportunity and so much fun. Mountain trail hiking at 10,000 in the Alps. There are several trails around Piz Gloria that you can walk. Actually you can take trails down to Birg and Murren if you have the stamina. I did not attempt this needless to say. Shortly after this picture was taken I had to get out my jacket. It was getting very cool and the clouds were starting to float in. A short while later there was hail and ice coming down.

The Guys in Hats at Piz Gloria

Who are those guys in hats at Piz Gloria

Favorite thing: We made it. It took almost three hours from Bern with all of the different types of transportation. But we arrived hats intact and ready for our day at Piz Gloria and Schilthorn.

Instant Answers: Mürren

Comments

Mürren Favorites

Reviews and photos of Mürren favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mürren sightseeing.