Here is a very beautiful view, since the monument of the Mother Homeland on the reservoir, the set of the lake and the road that cross it, then the metallic bridge, and that permits the access to Cherkasy since Zolotonosha, in direction of Kyiv.
In the domain of the painting, the Ukrainian art is especially characterized by its icons, paintings on wood very stylized religious character representative. One finds some in many Ukrainian homes. One of the most famous icons is the one of the Virgin of Kyiv, that dates the XII th century.
THE OLD MULBERRY TREE has been growing by the windows of a small house in Kiev for more than one and a half centuries now. Taras Shevchenko often used to find cover from summer heat in the shade of this tree. And now, the leaves of the tree whisper in the wind over the granite monument to Shevchenko — "the master in the world of spirits" as Ivan Franko called him.
This memorial, which was the first museum of Taras Shevchenko, was opened in Kiev in 1928. Naturally, this small one-story building could not exhibit all the materials associated with the name of the great poet and the period of his life when he lived in Ukraine. Therefore, new museums were established in Kiev, Kaniv where he is buried, his home village of Shevchenko in Cherkasy Region and also in Kazakhstan in Fort Shevchenko where the poet lived in exile.
The museum of Ukrainian popular art of Cherkasy is present to reveal the rich passes cultural and artistic of the region.
The Ukrainian popular art is rich and colorful, as testify the decoration of the eggs or the fine black and red embroideries that decorate the traditional clothes of it. The texture and the wood carving also occupy an important place in the tradition.
Cherkasy possesses a dramatic theater where is played regularly of the pieces of the Ukrainian or Russian index, and of the adaptations of the world index : the Tcherkaskiya Dramatitchniya Teatr.
It is situated by a vast avenue that leads the entry of the city (since the bridge on the Dniepr), to the center city.
The Palats Kulturi Droujba Napodiv is situated at the heart of the city of Cherkasy, very close to the big main artery.
The song is at the heart of the Ukrainian tradition. The composers as Tchaïkovski and Rachmaninovs are besides often himself inspired of the Ukrainian popular songs for their music. Some of these songs date the XVI th and XV th centuries, time to which the kobzars (kind of itinerant minstrels) sang village in village, coming with instruments as the kobza (kind of lute).
Besides the kobza, two other instruments can be considered like typically Ukrainian : the trembita, that looks like a horn of the Alps, and the tsymbali or tympanon.. The Ukrainian folk songs are associated to the domestic events (marriages, funeral ceremony...), or have been composed for celebrate different times of the year : the koliadky and shchedrivky for Christmas and the New Year, the hihalky to sing the spring, and the kupalni for the nights of summer.
Ukraine has a long tradition of opera and classic dance that carries up to the XVIII th century. The Ballet of Kyiv is one of the most famous of the world.
On november, 2002, the School of Physical Fitness, Aerobics and Modern Dance "Grace" to organized a festival to make the demonstration its efficiency. The grace was well sensible to the appointment... and the politicians also!
Established in 1970
Alla and Volodymyr Maltsev were the organisers and first leaders of the theatre. The theatre opening ceremony was held in the premise of the Regional Philharmonic society. The theatre takes part in theatrical festivals. The performance "A Little Prince" was awarded with the diploma for the best stenography at the "Podilska lalka" Festival (Vinnytsya, 1999).
Repertoire - 20 performances: "Babusya ta vedmid" (The Grandmother and the Bear)" by Î.Oles, "Sumna vesela kazka" (A Sad Cheerful Fairy-tale)", "Troye Porosiat (Three Little Pigs)", "Lysychka-sestrychka ta Vovk-panibrat" (Sister the Fox and Brother the Wolf)", "Malenky Prynts (A Little Prince)" and others are among them.
Lenin st. 4, Cherkasy
Director Bopys Verlyhskiy
The Cherkassy Regional Ukrainian Drama Theatre named for T. Shevshenko
Established in 1932
The theatre was created in Malin, Zhitomyr region. The first performance was the anti-war play "Family of Schitochnyky" by M. Irchan. In 1933 the theatre moved to Cherkassy and from that time its creative life closely connected with land of Shevchenko. In 1939 on the occasion of T.Shevchenko 125 anniversary the theatre got a name of the Great Kobzar. The essential changes occurred in 1954 when the theatre was reorganized in stationary Regional drama theatre named for T.Shevchenko. From that time young actors coming to the theatre from theatre institute. The stage direction of theatre becomes stronger. In 1963 the theatre got the status of the Cherkassy regional state Ukrainian music and drama theatre named for T.G.Shevchenko. The plays "Taras Shevchenko" by A. Malyshko (1970) and "The Wall" by Y. Stcherbak (1984) first time were staged in the theatre.
Shevchenko Av. 234, Cherkassy
tel/fax (+38 0472) 474.418
Cherkasy possesses a big library, rich many works Russian and Ukrainian, and of some books of the world.
It is a possible tool for a better understanding of the country, its history and its customs
A House of the Nature and the environment proposes exhibitions, animations, and exits discovered in the region.
August, 2002, in Cherkasy, the Rock Festival "Anti-Substitute" meet some young people around electronic music and dance.