A must see attraction in Chernigiv is the Spaso-Preobrazhensky Cathedral (Spassky Cathedral) in the old rampart of the town, built by the first Chernihiv prince Mstislav - the son of great Kiev prince Vladimir, Baptist of Russia. Spassky Cathedral is actually the oldest orthodox cathedral surviving on the territory of Kievan Rus. It was founded in 1024 and it is the oldest Orthodox church in Ukraine and in Russia, founded a few years even before the famous St. Sophia Cathedral and is under construction right now but still operates as a church. Today Spassky Cathedral is the only surviving monument (on the left bank of Ukraine) of architecture of the blossoming period of Kievan Rus and is a part of the National reserve Old Chernigov.
The baroque style St. Catherine's Church (Katerynynska Church) was built between the end of the 17th and beginning of the 18th century.
When we visited the church the interior was being renovated and church services were held outside in provisional tents. During the Soviet era the church was used as a museum.
The golden-domed St. Catherine's Church is situated on the southern entrance to Chernihiv, just at the edge of the rampart which overlooks the Desna river.
The Soviet Monument to the Great Patriotic War consists of an obelisk with an eternal flame and various heroic statues.
It commemorates the soldiers who died during WWII which is usually refered to as Great Patriotic War in the former Soviet Union.
The Soviet Monument to the Great Patriotic War can be found at the street vul. L'va Tolstogo just at the western end of the Boldyn Hill.
The Yeletsky Women's Monastery was founded in the 17th century. Its gounds also include the Dormition Cathedral which dates back to the 12th century. It was modeled after the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra.
The Yeletsky Women's Monastery also includes a Bell Tower from the 17th century.
The Yeletsky Women's Monastery is situated inbetween Chernihiv's city centre and the Boldyn Hill district.
The St. Elijah Church (Illinska Church) dates back to the12th century and stands on top of the Anthony Caves.
The Anthony Caves (Antonievy Caves) belong to a sort of underground monastery which was build in the early 11th century by Anthony Pechersky who also founded the famous Kiev-Pechersk Lavra.
The caves can be visited for an entrance fee of 4 UAH (Summer 2007).
The St. Elijah Church and Anthony Caves are located in the forest on Boldyn Hill, just in front of the Trinity-Elias Cloister complex.
Like the Trinity Cathedral the Bell Tower belongs to the Trinity-Elias Cloister. The Bell Tower was built between 1774 and 1778.
The yellow white tower can be climbed for magnificent views of Chernihiv and the Trinity Cathedral. The entrance fee is 2 UAH (Summer 2007).
The Bell Tower is loacted at the entrance to the grounds of the Trinity-Elias Cloister.
The Trinity Cathedral (Troitsky Cathedral) is a part of the Trinity-Elias Cloister (Troitsko-Illinsky Cloister).
The Ukrainian Baroque building was constructed in the second half of the 17th century.
The Trinity Cathedral is situated about 20 minutes on foot west of the city centre. It can be found at the street vul. L'va Tolstogo in the Boldyn Hill district.
The Collegium was built in the early 18th century and is therefore one of the oldest secondary schools in the Ukraine.
The students were mostly sons of priests and Kozak officials who learned general education. During the rule of Catherine II of Russia, the school was turned into a theological seminary, which it remained until its closing in 1917.
Nowadays the building houses a little museum. The entrance fee is 3 UAH (Summer 2007).
Like the Cathedral of Saviour and Transfiguration and the Boris and Hleb Cathedral, the Chernihiv Collegium can be found in the Val part of Chernihiv.
The construction of the Cathedral of Saviour and Transfiguration (Spaso-Preobrazhensky Cathedral) was ordered in the 11th century by Prince Mstyslav, Chernihiv's golden-age ruler. He is buried beneath the church.
The Cathedral of Saviour and Transfiguration is located immediately next to the Boris and Hleb Cathedral in the Val part of Chernihiv.
The Boris and Hleb Cathedral (Borisohlebsky Cathedral) is an example of the famous Chernihiv architecture. It was built in the 12th century and belongs to the oldest cathedrals in Europe.
Several renovations took place after severe pillages in the 13th and 17th century and also after WWII devastations.
The silver-domed Boris and Hleb Cathedral is located in the Val which is Chernihiv's oldest part. It can be found just above the Desna river.
This is a great way to spend the day with friends, taking a stroll around the 12 Cannon Park. You can also take a picture with Shevchenko in the center of the park. My friends told me that when they were younger, if they were supposed to meet a would-be suitor, but they didn't really want to, they would agree to meet him or her in this park, at the 13th cannon. hehe!
Dytynets (Fortress). Located on the site of settlements dating to the beginning of the first millennium. From the 7th cent, these early settlements grew into a succession of fortified towns. By the early 12th cent. Dytynets was a mighty fortress containing royal chambers and living quarters of the boyars.