In the early 20th century more than 30 % of Chernivtsi's population was Jewish and the city was called "Jerusalem on the river Prut".
Before WWII Chernivtsi was home to more than 70 synagoges.
Nowadays there is only one active synagoge in the city. It was built in the early 20th century by Chasidics from Sadora, a suburb of Chernivtsi.
The New Synagoge can be found on Kobylytsia 53, a residential street in the south eastern part of the city centre.
The famous poet Paul Celan was born in in Chernivtsi in 1920, when it belonged to Romania. His family was of German-speaking Jewish origin and his original name was Paul Antschel.
A monument with the bust of Paul Celan commemorates him as one of Chernivtsi's most famous citizens. When it was erected in June 1992, it was the first non-soviet monument in the city.
The Monument to Paul Celan can be found at the intersection of the streets Holovna and Kobylytsia, which is near the Park Shevchenko (former: Volksgarten).
Chernivtsi's Theatre of Music and Drama was named after Olga Kobylianska, a famous Ukrainian writer. A statue of her stands just in front of the main entrance.
The theatre was built between 1904 and 1905 by the Viennes architects Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer.
The exterior includes Renaissance style elements, whereas the interior is kept in Baroque style.
The outside side niches around the building contain marble busts of famous composers.
The Theatre of Music and Drama stands at the western end of the Theatre Square (Ploshcha Teatralna).
Nowadays the former Jesuits Heart of Jesus Church serves as the regional archieve. The history of the neo-Gothic style building dates back to 1894 when its construction was finished.
The Heart of Jesus Church can be found at Shevchenko street 2, just at the southern end of Chernivtsi's city centre. Its location used to be the place where cattle markets were held.
Heart of Jesus Church, Shevchenko 2, Chernivtsi
The St. Paraskeva Church was constructed between 1843 and 1862 after designs of the local architect A. Pavlovsky. It was Chernivtsi's first stone Orthodox church.
At the beginning of 1864 this church was the place where nationally minded Ukrainian students met for a funeral mass for the famous Ukrainian poet Taras Shevchenko.
The St. Paraskeva Church stands at the corner of Zankovetska and Holovna streets, right in the heart of the city centre.
The Armenian Catholic Church was constructed in 1875 and named after the saints Peter and Paul. It was built by the Czech architect Josef Hlavka, who also designed the university (former residence for the Orthodox Church Leaders).
Nowadays the building of the Armenian Church serves as an organ hall, as Chernivtsi doesn't have an Armenian congregation anymore.
The Armenian Catholic Church (Organ Hall) is located at Ukrayinska Street 30, just about 500 m east of Chernivtsi's Central Square.
Armenian Catholic Church, Ukrayinska 30, Chernivtsi
The Greek-Catholic Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin was finished around 1821.
The bright yellow church was built in classicistic style, but also includes byzantine and old ukrainian elements.
The Church of the Assumption is located at Ruska Street, which leads to the east from the southeastern corner of the Central Square (Ploshcha Centralna).
Chernivtsi's Town Hall was constructed between 1843 and 1847 in European classicistic style. The light blue building includes a 50 m tall tower with a chime. At the time of its construction the tower was the highest building in town. The Town Hall is still the official residence of the local government.
The Town Hall is situated at Chernivtsi's Central Square (Ploshcha Centralna), right in the heart of the city centre.
Town Hall, Ploshcha Centralna, Chernivtsi
The second of Chernivtsi's two St. Nicolas Churches is the wooden St. Nicolas Church, which is the city's oldest church.
It was built in traditional Bukovinian block construction in 1607. After a recent fire the church had to be completely rebuilt.
The St. Nicolas Wooden Church is located about 5 minutes on foot east of the St. Nicolas Cathedral. Both churches are situated at the eastern end of Chernivtsi's
St. Nicolas Wooden Church, Sahaidachnovo 89, Chernivtsi
Chernivtsi is home to two St. Nicolas churches. The newer orthodox St. Nicolas Cathedral was finished just before WWII in 1939.
It was designed by the Romanian architect Ion Nanescus and consists of 5 bright blue domes. Due to its twisted turrets, the cathedral is often nicknamed "Drunken Church".
The St. Nicolas Cathedral can be found at Ruska Street 35, which is near the eastern end of Chernivtsi's city centre.
St. Nicolas Cathedral, Ruska 35, Chernivtsi
The orthodox Cathedral of the Holy Spirit is dominated by a large cupola which reminds on the St. Isaac's Cathedral in St. Petersburg.
The neo-classical cathedral was built between 1844 and 1864 after designs of architect Anton Roell.
Inside the cathedral the late 19th century murals and frescos, which were painted by Austrians are well worth seeing.
The Cathedral of the Holy Spirit can be found between the streets O. Kobylianska and Holovna, just about 300 m south of the City Hall.
Cathedral of the Holy Spirit, Holovna 85, Chernivtsi
Probably the most interesting architectural gem of the city is today's Chernivtsi University (current full name: Yuriy Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University).
The history of the red brick building complex dates back to 1864 when the construction started.
At that time it was built as the official residence for the Orthodox Church Leaders of Bukovina and Dalmatia. Only after WWII the university moved to this location.
The Chernivtsi University is situated at the western end of the city centre, just at the end of the Universytetska street.
Yuriy Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University, Kotsjubynskyi 2, Chernivtsi 58012
The Zelyoni Bazaar or Green Bazaar is the biggest bazaar inside of the city limits. One section is devoted to food and household items and another section to clothing, both new and used. It appears that the area is around 5 acres all told. In the food section you have many vendors in their separate stalls. For the most part most of those selling packaged goods all have the same item. They all go to the same wholesaler to purchase their items, Prices between them vary little. Eggs are another item were resellers purchase from the same wholesaler so prices are pretty standard also. Items with the most variance are the produce items. Some of the sellers again purchase from a central wholesaler while others are brought in from individual growers. Milk and some soft cheese are brought in from farmers who have their own Cow. Since the milk is not pasteurized, you need to be careful. I tried it once with no ill effects but after that chose to buy it treated.
The other section is like one giant Thrift store. Stall after stall, selling everything imaginable :clothing , tools, building items and much more. If you have the time, just about everything you might need could be found in one of the stalls.,
The theater of music and drama is the most popular building in Chernovtsy. This building was built in 1904-1905 by famous Austrian architects Feliner F. and Gelimer G. They are two famous designers of 48 theatres in central and eastern Europe, which includes the famous Vienna theatre-The Venski
The theatre is one of the most beautiful architectural monuments in the city. It was built in 1905 by Austrian architects F. Fellner and G. Gellmer who also built Vienna (Austria) and Odessa (Ukraine) opera houses.
Elements of Renaissance style are predominant in the exterior design. As for the interior, its decor is Baroque, with a perfect combination of white and golden colors. The facade of the building is decorated with a sculptural grouping having a Greek mythology motif. Marble busts of outstanding people were placed in tympana. Its inaugural event took place on October 4,1905.
In order to see what is on the schedule of events and/or buy tickets for events, just head to the box office. If you are facing the front of the Opera house, the ticket office is off to the right. Check out the picture in my list to make sure you are headed to the right place.
We were lucky enough to arrange for a tour of one of Chernovtsi’s radio stations. As far as anyone there could remember, we were the first Americans to visit. In the day of miniaturization and computerization of electronics, it was fun to see equipment that appeared to be at least 40 years old still being used and well maintained. We were show areas that taped-shows were being replayed on the air; rooms that talk show host ran interviews; call screening areas; and the all important maintenance rooms. If Khrushchev could only see me now.