Chernivtsi Warnings and Dangers

by smschley

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Chernivtsi

• Chernivtsy: Dentist

by Ruslik Written Jul 31, 2009

In case you need a dentist while you are traveling, here is one I went too: center "NADENT", vul. Stasuka, 10 kv 1 phones: business 03722-3-32-05, cell 067-994-22-07. I think a female and a male doctor practices there, I went to the guy. Treatment was really great, I totally recommend going there if you need it. I paid about $35 for a medium filling, but it was well worth it. Word of caution: he does not like put patients under, so he did not give me any anesthetic whatsoever. However said all that I will go back there if I make it back to Chernivtsy and need a dental work of any sort :)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Stray dogs

by HORSCHECK Written Feb 22, 2009

Cute stray dog

Similar to many towns in Romania, also Chernivtsi seems to be home to many stray dogs. We noticed them all around the town, especially near the bus station.

They are usually used to people and busy street life, therefore they are probably harmless. Nevertheless, I am always very cautious when stray dogs are around.

• Trains

• smschley's Profile Photo

Don't drink the water

by smschley Written Jan 2, 2009

Water warnings are common for travelers. On my first trip to the Ukraine 15 years ago I made the mistake of drinking the water in the form of compote.. My stomach wasn’t real happy about it. This time I decided to do a better job about not drinking water.

This time I resolved to do a better job. I was about to make my morning coffee and even though it was going to be boiled it didn’t look good coming out of the pipes. If you put water in a glass and let it sit you can see all sorts of sediment that is coming along with the water. In addition, the tub that we used for showers was also stained by the water coming through the pipes. Given this, I needed something else to make my coffee with.

Luckily we weren’t the only one with this problem and some resourceful entrepenur created a business out of purifying water and delivering it in a fleet of water trucks. The water is contained in a large tank in the back of the truck and they pour it into containers brough by there customers. If you don’t have a good container you can buy them also. The deliver the water into certain areas on a schedule and one can either ask around or keep an eye open. I didn’t have the water tested from the truck, but at least it was clear and didn’t have any odor.

Ukrainians are used to waiting in lines from years gone by. It’s kind of a social event and a time to mingle. My job was to let the wife mingle and smile… and carry the water jugs

• ronin308's Profile Photo

Medical care is OK

by ronin308 Written Feb 10, 2008

Having traveled in Ukraine several times, once having to visit a hospital I can say that medical care is ok, not the horror stories you hear from others. The hospitals don't compare with the US but access to trained medical staff is much easier as is care. Also it is a lot easier and cheaper to get medicine there. Considering Romania is an even poorer country than Ukraine, attempting to cross the border there doesn't make sense.

Insurance is not required there, care is provided free for all or at a basic cost for most things.

If you are truely worried, get medevac insurance that will have you flown via jet to a western country for medical care.

• Donlin's Profile Photo

Medical help in Romania? Think about travel time!

by Donlin Updated Mar 27, 2007

Having lived in Kolomyya, (not far from Chernivtsi) I’ve crossed into Romania several times. Regardless of postings on Virtual Tourist, leaving Ukraine for Romania in order to obtain medical treatment is impractical regardless of your mode of transport.
    Even if you persuade a taxi driver to take you to the border, you’ve got to walk across. Taxi drivers from Ukraine will not take you farther than the border gate. It takes a lot of persuading for the border guard to allow you to cross by foot. The Ukrainian/Romanian border crossing south of Chernivsti is for vehicles only.
    Assuming you are successful in crossing the border by foot, you’ve got a big walk to the nearest settlement of Siret. There aren’t any taxis waiting on the Romanian side. Siret isn’t much more than a village and you’ll need to hire an unlicensed cab to Suceava (the regional center).
    Perhaps you would want to go by bus. Ha….. You’ll be sharing space with Ukrainians on their way to Suceava’s market. The bus will be filled with all manner of goods (mostly in aisle). It is an unpleasant experience without a medical problem. The bus is slow and often delayed more than once by Romanian customs officials. Moreover, there is only one bus providing service between Ukraine and Romania and it makes one trip daily.
    A more comfortable option is the train. However, there will be a delay in getting the carriages fitted for Romanian rails. Also, the train for Bucharest leaves only in the morning. If you need immediate medical attention this probably isn’t for you.

• Trains
    • Work Abroad

• Stay very far away from a...

by slave_trader Written Aug 26, 2002

Stay very far away from a crazy Ukrainian man named Stanislav. He has a grey beard and loves cats, that is loves to eat cat. He is psychotic and frequently forgets to take his psycotropic medications. If he gets angry at you, your best bet is to run as fast as you can. He will chase you, but since he smokes, he will stop after a short distance. He has a son who works with him. Stay clear of this guy also. He dresses in black, has a very short hair cut, and also smokes. If you meet up with these two characters, move to a very public place where there are lots of witnesses.

• Again, I am happy I don't have...

by haimico Updated Aug 25, 2002

Again, I am happy I don't have the experience, but according to Ukrain friends I have here in Israel, and according to common sense:
    Keep your money, take only what you need to your travel everyday, and keep your money, flying tickets and passport at the hotel safe.
    You will be noticed as a tourist even if you will not talk, so try not attract attention, don't wear too fancy cloths, leave your nice looking cool watch (if you have one) at home, and just look as simple as you can.

• I am very happy I didn't...

by haimico Written Aug 25, 2002

I am very happy I didn't experienced any medical problem, but I advice you to take there anti-diarrhea pills (As to anywhere in the world).
    I understand from friends in Israel, that medical services are not so good in Ukraine. Please make the best medical inssurance you can when going there, and in the case of a medical problem, please make an effort not to check the quality of the Ukrain hospitals, but to cross the border to Romania and get a medical aid there.
    I have also took a Tetanus immunization at home, because I heard that it is hard to get one there when you need (and you need one in each kind of even minor injury).

Instant Answers: Chernivtsi

Comments

Chernivtsi Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Chernivtsi warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Chernivtsi sightseeing.