Donets'k Warnings and Dangers

• hunterV's Profile Photo

Any Change Available?

by hunterV Updated Oct 31, 2011

Hryvnia memorial sign at a bank

We faced one serious problem in Donetsk.
    It happened that we had no small bills since ATM only gives you 200 UAH or 500 UAH bills.
    It often happened like that. Thank God the ATMs have begun giving out smaller bills of late.
    Therefore it would be a good idea to have smaller bills ready in your wallet just in case.

• Museum Visits
    • Architecture

• stella-artois's Profile Photo

Be careful what you eat in Ukraine!

by stella-artois Written Jul 9, 2004

I got home from my trip to Ukraine and the next day I woke up with a sore throat from HELL. It was bad, like nothing I had ever felt before. I went to the Doctor and was prescribed some medicine. It didnt work and I went back to see him a second time. This time he informs me that I picked up some strange organism while in Ukraine. It is an organism that is only found in cow feces. Yep, cow poop. He had never seen it before and it took 5 weeks for me to finally get rid of it. Since I wasnt walking around gobbling up cow patties, I figure I must have gotten it from eating a salad. My guess is that the vegetables were grown with the help of cow manure and they didn't get washed properly before I was unlucky enough to eat it. I would think that any of the cooked food that I ate would have been ok because the cooking process should have killed any organisms. I really dont know how I got this nasty little organism so I'll just say be careful what you eat.

• stella-artois's Profile Photo

Aerosvit Airlines-You might not get on the plane!!

by stella-artois Updated Jul 9, 2004

I flew from JFK Airport in New York to Borispol Airport in Kiev using Aerosvit airlines. I had no problems on the way to Kiev or Donetsk. When I was coming home, I flew from Donetsk to Kiev with no problems. But when I got to Kiev and I tried to board my flight back to JFK airport, I was told that I would not be able to get on my plane because they overbooked that particular flight.
    As I looked around I realized I was not the only one who was not getting on that plane. And it just happened to be that 8 of the 10 who got bumped from the flight were American. And I believe the other two were German. An Aerosvit representative found it humorous that we Americans were stuck in Kiev and he took his good old time trying to find us an alternate flight. He informed us that Aerosvit only flew to New York twice a week and that we would be put up in a hotel for a few days. He also informed us that we would be reimbursed $100 for not getting on our original flight. Fours later he found us a flight that went to Warsaw, Poland and then on to Newark Airport in New Jersey. This was obviously not the airport I wanted to be going to since I had a shuttle waiting for me at JFK. But at that point I just wanted to be back on US soil. I got to Newark and I had to pay close to $300 in taxi fare to get to my house. The next day I contacted my travel agent and she got in touch with Aerosvit and told them about the problems I had. Three weeks later I get $7.90 credited to my credit card. That is right---$7.90 when I was bumped from my flight, waited in Borispol Airport for four hours while some inept representative of Aerosvit stood around and smoked cigarettes instead of trying to get us on another flight sooner, landed at a different airport than I should have, and paid close to $300 in taxi fare to get my tired butt home. So I warn you, DON'T use Aerosvit unless it is absolutely necessary. Aerosvit is less expensive than other airlines but you will end up paying more in the end. Trust me it is not worth the risk!

• Giovanni_ITA's Profile Photo

Police and small accidents

by Giovanni_ITA Written Jan 7, 2009

When you are in Ukraine keep away from police, and from possible ways to let them stop you, especially to drive a car there. They're always look for a way to pretend you are in trouble, even if you are perfect and regular with documents. They keep you outside in the cold winter and wait, until you ask them "how you can exit from this situation". The penalty is related to your infraction, no infraction (they invent something you aren't ok when control your documents for ex): 10 to 50 grivnas, small infraction (stop in wrong place) 50-100, medium (miss a document): 100-500, high: (drink even a bit of alchol) pay them in dollars, they ask more than 100.
    For all the above cases you can be sure they will not bring you to any police station, or hospital. They threat you about keep your car,documents,driving licence, but finally they will ask you MONEY (if they keep you to a police station they won't have nothing! But you maybe pay more in the end). In Kharkiv the police can be always around, not too much in winter time.

Say them you have just a small amount of money (always have that small amount in the wallet and the rest hide in a pocket), they will ask you to go home and bring more money or go in a bank. Say them you don't have! It's a long deal, but even if you are drunk, when you give them money finally you can drive your car home without they take more care about you. The Police in ukraine is the worst thing you will see, it's simply disgusting.

Instant Answers: Donets'k

Comments

Donets'k Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Donets'k warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Donets'k sightseeing.