Kharkiv Nightlife

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Patrick's: The inevitable Irish bar

by toonsarah Written Mar 5, 2013

In Patrick's

Every city these days must have an Irish bar it seems, and although not usually our first choice of drinking spot (we prefer more local colour), on a football trip such “rules” go out of the window as the Irish bar is where we are most likely to encounter our fellow Toon supporters and enjoy some good conversation and maybe singing over a few beers. And so it proved on this trip.

There are actually two branches of Patrick’s in town – well, maybe more, but we saw just the two. One is near Constitution Square and we never got round to checking that out, but the other, on Freedom Square, we went in several times.

The décor is interesting, being far more Eastern Europe than Ireland – no old tools and implements, no Guinness mirrors and shamrocks, no quaint old sayings such as you may see in Irish pubs elsewhere (although there are a few football scarves and other mementos). If it didn’t say Patrick’s outside you might think you were in any local bar. Incidentally, talking of the outside, I had to smile at the slogan on the large poster by the gate: “Drink * Drive * Friends” – not the best advice in the world!

We initially came here for a late lunchtime beer on our first day in Kharkiv, expecting to meet some other fans, but it was fairly quiet so we didn’t stay long. When we came back later that evening though, it was another matter. We were lucky to secure the last table in the place, and soon found ourselves at the centre of a great football song sing-along, with all the old Newcastle favourites getting an airing. The prices of both beer (23 UAH for a large one – about £1.90 / $2.80) and vodka (9 UAH = £0.75 / $1.10) were very reasonable, the staff (though not especially friendly) tolerant of our antics, and a great time was had by all.

Having enjoyed ourselves so much we came back the next day with two other friends who’d joined us that morning. We were planning to have lunch here as the menu had looked good, but it was match day and the staff were refusing to serve beer to English fans. We thought that maybe the city authorities had imposed an alcohol ban for the day, as has happened in other places we have been, but not at all, as we noticed that locals were being served both beer and wine. So we decided to look elsewhere for our meal, and luckily found that the beer ban was apparently of Patrick’s own making.

As it happened we never did come back here, not from spite at being refused beer but because we had meanwhile found other alternatives. One of these was nearby, the Italian restaurant Paprika, subject of my next tip

• Zeppelin: rock n roll bar sometimes with live music

by socheid Updated Dec 28, 2011

Zeppelin bills itself as a rock n roll bar. When I was there a rock bar would have seemed a better description. There is a big picture of Led Zeppelin behind the stage and the music being played was the likes of Guns n Roses. However I am told that earlier in the day starting from noon they play things like 50s rock n roll music and then Beatles music etc from the 60s leading up to the evening time when the rock music takes over.

Sometimes they have a dj playing music, sometimes they have a live band playing. I went on a Thursday evening and it was 15 UAH to get in but this included a free beer.

Closing time on weekdays at least is 23:00. I have no idea re weekend closing time.

The place is located on Pushkinskaya just down the hill on the right hand side from Arkitektura Bekerova metro station. Pushkinskaya itself has a few cafes, bars and restaurants dotted around along it given you other choice if you try Zeppelin and it isn't for you.

The crowd in here were a studenty bunch when I went. I found them to be a very friendly bunch, so much so that after closing time around 12 of them and the bar manager were going elsewhere for a drink and I was invited along.

Dress Code: Very informal

Railway Station: Relax at the Fountains

by hunterV Updated Aug 30, 2009

The railway station square at night

I have always liked people watching and relaxing at the railway station square.
    There are several fountains with benches around them where you can sit waiting for your train or just relaxing after your day trips.
    There are many places for a photo session there.

Dress Code: casual

• Photography
    • Festivals

• lluis3's Profile Photo

Bolero: Night spot for 25-35 year old

by lluis3 Written Dec 3, 2005

First night in Kharkiv my friends brought me to Bolero. I loved it! Average age was perfect for me (25-35). Good shows on the stage, big screen in the wall with Fashion TV but the girls on the dance floor were better :-)

• lluis3's Profile Photo

Misto: Everything in one

by lluis3 Written Dec 3, 2005

You get everyhting you need for a night out in Misto. First try the restaurant in the building next to the main building. Shashlik is the best I have tried in Kharkiv. When your stomach is satisfied, go to the main building. Thursdays free entrance. With the entrance you will get "chips" for the casino. Cash all the money you win! You can also play bowling before going upstairs to the disco.

• stor_oksen's Profile Photo

Bolero club: Dancing girls.....

by stor_oksen Written Nov 11, 2005

Bolero club

Bolero club is not in center off Kharkov. You have to drive taxi about 12-15 minutes from the center. Never pay more than 25 grynas for this trip. But when you are there Bolero is a great club. 2 floors, a lot off girls, both western and Russian music (I love Russian music), several guards so feel completly safe, facecontrol, fair prices on beer and drinks, MANY girls dancing, pro dancers on the scene, nice peoles working there, just a club I will go back to as soon I am in Kharkov again. I just LOVE this club. Some off the peoples working there have Spanish or Mex clothes. The service in the club is also great.

Dress Code: No sneakers.

“Treasure Island” casino,
    billiards,
    “Mask” disco,
    a coffee-house,
    it holds beauty contests and "Europop" parties...

Dress Code: normal & casual, but tidy

“Oscar” Club: Make a Difference

by hunterV Updated Mar 14, 2008

Kharkiv Metro (underground)

Why not attend different shows including alternative circus “For Those Who Have Not Parted with Childhood”…

Dress Code: casual

• hunterV's Profile Photo

“Zhivot” Club: Famous DJs With You!

by hunterV Updated Jan 8, 2008

You can attend different parties with famous DJs: atmospheric party, drum&bass party, easy listening, hop party, etc.

Dress Code: No special dress code

7a Alexey Derevyanko St.
    Tel./Fax 0572 33 04 77

Dress Code: casual, nothing special

• stor_oksen's Profile Photo

Club Meridean: The catwalk........

by stor_oksen Written Mar 15, 2006

Me and my

Very cool nigthclub with great house and dance music. A lot of peoples and fashion show all evening. There is a catwalk in this disco, many models at this place..

Instant Answers: Kharkiv

Comments

Kharkiv Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Kharkiv nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kharkiv sightseeing.