Himalaya, Kiev

by om_212
  • om_212's Profile Photo

Himalaya: Great Indian Restaurant on Khreschatyk

by om_212 Updated Jun 14, 2007

one of my favorite restaurants in the city. first of all the FOOD is absolutely fantastic and 100%authentic (owners and cook are Indian). the variety is impressive, including a good section of vegetarian dishes. portions are big, so if you are a company of 6 order 5 dishes and split (unless you are Americans :) or prepare to take to go. make sure to tell a waitress how you want your dishes - mild, hot or no spices.

ATMOSPHERE is very pleasant, the interior decor and music are Indian (though some time they play music on request). the recent renovation removed the smell typical for Indian Restaurants (through I didn't mind it at all)

LOCATION - can not be more central :) can be tricky to find first. it's located above another restaurant (Grot). look for stairs (after all, Himalaya should be high :)

PRICES - become slightly more expensive than before, but taken into account the above-mentioned they are still very reasonable. the last bill we paid was $30 lamb in spinach curry, vegetable in tandoor, rice and two beers.

SERVICE is very good, waiters are friendly and speak some English. very often the owner himself will take your order and then come to ask you if you liked the food.

it's not a touristy place, but very popular with ex-pats and locals, so it can quite busy. so to be on the safe side, make a reservation.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dishes, to name a few, are palak paneer, veggie fried in tandoor, lamb in spinach curry with mint, chicken tikka masala. Besides, I often order lassi (milk drink). they serve it both sweet and sour.

• Work Abroad

• Pomocub's Profile Photo

Himalaya: Himalaya

by Pomocub Written Aug 2, 2012

Himalaya is an Indian restaurant on Kreschatyk street in Kyiv. I have been to this restaraunt twice and have enjoyed it both times. Although I do think we get better Indian food in England. The waiters/waitresses are always very polite, there is usually a mixture of Indian and Ukrainian staff.

Favorite Dish: As I don't like anything too spicy I had the Chicken Tikka Masala, I mistakingly ordered the medium version instead of non-spicy as medium in England is normally not spicy but it blew my head off! Very tasty though.

• IngaA's Profile Photo

Restaurant "Hymalaya": Do You like Indian food? This place is for You :))

by IngaA Updated Nov 1, 2002

This restaurant was opened quite recently, I suppose about 5-6 years ago in the cafe buildiing near the main street Khreshatyk.

Favorite Dish: We ate lamd with rice and sauce.
    It was the 1st time I tried Indian food and I liked it.

• stevehya's Profile Photo

Himalaya: Good Value for Money

by stevehya Written Feb 16, 2008

The Staff are Very Freindly and Speak English,you can get a good value business lunch with lots of choices , drinks are Extra. There is No Free Wi-Fi access.
    It is close to all the Action on the Kreschatyk,but set back nice and Peacful to Relax.
    Never Overcrowded.

Instant Answers: Kiev

Comments

Hotels Near Himalaya
4.5 out of 5 stars