Gorodetsky Street, Kiev
one of the finest examples of Modern. the house has a "horse-shoe" entrance, two "sad" eyes. the very top of the house is decorated by Bacchus head and swamp foliage (and now even real trees). it also has nicely forged balconies.
the house also has two "confusing" dates on the facade - 1886 and 1948. the first refers to the date when the Mering's estate was sold; the second - to the last restoration date. pretty obvious, the building needs another one. though I think the building is still very appealing.
Another building erected by Gorodetsky during the "construction rush", this time for a well-known Austrian furniture manufacturer Josef Kemaier. his furniture has decorated the Continental hotel (former building #5), the National Bank and many other prestigious places including the Kyiv Opera House. the legend says that Kemaier, along with other Austro-Hungarian furniture manufactures, who competed for the furnishing the Opera, went to extreme measures to prove the quality of their chairs: climbed up and threw the chairs from the opera house gallery. Kemaier's chair has won :)
don't be misled by the date on the facade: 1884. Gorodetsky put this number just to reflect the year of the company's establishment.
Building #13 was built for the #1 building contractor of the city and “father of the first sky-scriber” in Kyiv Lev Ginsburg's mansion. The 6-storey building, a sky-scriber itself for the time, was built in the so-called Kyiv-renaissance style. The style was a combination of all possible styles, which gave the style the nick name of the “architecture garbage heap”. Thus on the building’s façade you can see Greek gods, double-faced Yanuses and Atlantes, gothic griffons, and even a hammer and sickle, a little piece of “garbage addition” from the Soviet time.
as for the real sky-scriber (8-12 storey building depending on the side you were looking), it was located on 16-18 Institutska st (the current location of Ukraina hotel). built in 1912, this was the highest building in the Russian empire. The building had 90 apartments/ 500 rooms and has been equipped with "Otis"elevators. unfortunately it hasn't survived the II WW (has been destroyed in fall 1941 by the Soviet Army as it was leaving Kyiv)
Originally, this was a two-storey building built by Gorodetsky in 1896 for a Kyiv branch of the agro-trade company "Rabotnik," which specialized on selling agro machinery from all over the world. In 1912, three additional storeys and a 5-storey wing have been added, and the house has been converted into dokhodnyi dom (house for profit). Gorodetsky's style (stylized roman style features) can be seen on the facade of first two floors as well as in his "trade mark" - a crocodile between the two balconies.