Kiev Warnings and Dangers

• Getting pulled over on the way in to Kyiv.
    Getting pulled over on the way in to...
    by Pomocub
  • Warnings and Dangers
    by arturowan
  • Protesters & Protesting Comes With Trouble!
    Protesters & Protesting Comes With...
    by acommon1

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Kiev

• hunterV's Profile Photo

Traffic Versus Clean Air

by hunterV Updated Feb 9, 2010

A lot has been said and written of late about the air pollution resulting from traffic.
    The number of cars in Kiev has reached one million, which means every third resident of Kiev drives a car.
    Besides, there is cargo transport, transit transport and guests of Kiev coming to the capital by their own cars...
    Carbon dioxide concentration in the air exceeds all possible/existing norms by several times.
    The statictic data always tend to frighten us by those huge numbers...
    Here are the places in the capital where the air cleanliness situation leaves much to be desired.
    - Bessarabia Square and Obolon Abenue are the most polluted places as far as the air is concerned.
    - Popudrenko Street (Chernihiv Metro station),
    - Lesia Ukrainka Boulevard,
    - Victory Avenue (Sviatoshin Metro station)
    - Skliarenko Street
    are among the worst ecological areas in Kiev.
    All this situation results from air pollution caused by traffic.
    What about industrial pollution?...
    Better not to think of it and enjoy one's stay instead!

Victory Square used to be a clean air place At Shevchenko Bolulevard, Kiev Old Post station in Kiev, Dnipro Embankment Kiev railway station Memorial Cross at the city history museum, Kiev
    • Business Travel

• hunterV's Profile Photo

Attracting Street Lottery?

by hunterV Updated Nov 17, 2009

I plead you not to take part in any "street lottery"!
    – No chance for you, no matter how attractive the "lottery" might seem to you.
    They say the day’s income of the "showmen" of the local lottery-making/fooling in Kiev makes up from 2 to 5 thousand dollars.
    So why invest into this ruthless "shadow economy"?

Archangel St.Michael is on the city's coat-of-arms The Kiev underground

• figge's Profile Photo

Kiev, Ukraine. Robbery, bribes & tourist pices!

by figge Written Jul 30, 2009

Answer: Don't go to Kiev! You will stand out from the rest. Your hotel manager will call some local gangsters to rob you (he will get some percentage of the robbery...). You can't use the safe deposit box at the hotel, because you never know when the girl you talked to will work again. Maybe never after your safe deposit box is found empty...;)

That happened my friend from Bangladesh! He got robbed the second day there & then the police couldn't speak English. The police chief was drinking beer & smoked. He had to give him some money, so he could get the police report in english. All the time, the passport control wanted money because he looked different (both on arrival & departure!)... They even use different pricelist for foreigners at the restaurant!! (like the old-time Soviet style)

This is 100% true. Please, go to a nice country like Latvia instead. Be careful out there!

• stevehya's Profile Photo

Cash Machines and Pick-Pockets

by stevehya Written May 12, 2009

People are still getting Debits from their Credit/Debit cards after using the Cash machines in Kiev,Certain Bank Machines forever crop up,Internal Employee`s are Not to be Trusted.
    People are getting Only Half the cash they Requested from Cash Machines,But the Full amount and Sometimes more will be Debited from Your Account.
    If this happens complain to the Bank Immediatly and Fill the Form in,Yes it happens all to often.
    Pick-pockets continue to Hang out at Popular Burger bars,and Pubs+Coffee bars in the City Center,Sometimes there may be a Team,Dont make yourself Obvious.
    $200 last week was the Price of a Burger for a Freind of mine,not to mention the Aggro of phoning the bank,Cancelling Cards.

• Seniors

• stevehya's Profile Photo

Not Much Has Changed

by stevehya Written May 12, 2009

Once the Metro stops running in Kiev at 1AM, The Police come out of Their dark Corners,
    They Do have the right to ask for Proof of Your Identity, A Photo Copy of Your Passport Should do,They do have the right to ask to see Your 90 White Tourist Immigration paper.
    Failure to show these Can result in You being Locked up,until Someone can Prove your identity.
    $10 Dollars or 20 Ciggies could of course smooth this over if you have Genuinely forgotton and they Believe You.
    It is always best to have some Money in a seperate pocket from your Wallet,it is also Best to have Your Mobile on one of those Cheap Anti pickpocket "Leads".
    Best to get a Taxi home to Avoid the Aggro of Police and Thieves if You have been Drinking.

• Work Abroad

• Terje1966's Profile Photo

Tip for westerners (Alphabet)

by Terje1966 Updated Mar 13, 2009

If you can not understand any of the cyrillic alphabet you are likely to miss somethings during your stay. Wery little information on the historical sights,roads and shops are in english.
    Most young people know a little english and info in hotels and on menu`s are in english so
    its not a must but you will have an advantage in understanding more if you know what the cyrillic letters mean. A lot of words will then sound/look almost similar to english words.

Be prepared for this!!!!

• om_212's Profile Photo

Luggage thieves in Boryspil Airport

by om_212 Written Aug 15, 2008

Luggage theft has unfortunately become one of the serious problems in the Boryspil International Airport. Luckily, I have no such experience, but several of my friends and acquaintances reported things missing from their suitcasesafter crossing the border in Boryspil, including expensive cameras, watches and other valuables . In most instances, they told me valuables were missing, while their boxes or wrapping were left in suitcases, which makes it difficult to discover the theft right after arrival (unless you check all the stuff right after unpacking).

Unfortunately, the police is very slow and/or unwilling to act on these cases. The best advices here are: pack smart and put your valuables into carry-on bags. If the first is impossible, make sure to wrap your suitcase in cellophane, so you could visually inspect it for signs of intrusion right at the airport; check the insides of your suitcase at the airport, especially if your piece of luggage came late after others; purchase insurance as an airline responsibility system reimburses passengers for lost luggage according to the recorded weight of a suitcase, not by the actual value of its contents (Warsaw convention).

• AnnaHermans's Profile Photo

Taxidrivers at central station

by AnnaHermans Written Jul 30, 2008

Although I was warned I took a taxi from the central station. We agreed on a price before we got in. When we got out, he wanted more money. Saying we agreed on dollars not on Hryvna's. The next day I met two boys with the same problem. They payed 10 times too much. The taxidriver did not want to agree, he wanted to use the meter. But the meter went fast and high.
    So don't take a taxi from the central station, most drivers are looking for tourist to scam them. It is easy to use the metro from the station to get in town

• om_212's Profile Photo

Racism in Ukraine

by om_212 Written Jul 30, 2008

I wish I could say it's 100% safe for afro-americans/europeans/etc. to be in Ukraine. unfortunately, the recent sad statistics says that it is not. and though many people with different colors of skin live and enjoy their life in Kyiv, bad things do happen. but they happen everywhere. like, I felt totally safe in Gautemela despite all the robbery reports I'had read and heard about prior to travelling there. at the same time, a met a college girl, who was attacked and robbed on her way to a Spanish class.

here is the article that you might find informative:

the bottom line, don't be paranoid, but definately be aware of the situation, and use common sense. make sure you know your Embassy tel. number.

• Kiev - Walking While American-WWA

by humanresources33 Written Jun 10, 2008

I can confirM being stopped for WWA by the police. I had my military ID with me because I was afraid to carry my passport. It cost me $ 40 USD. The police in Kiev are not there to help anyone. They thrive off fleecing not only tourists by locals. I know this as it is my third time in Kiev in 12 months. I think in the future I will carry a copy of my passport, but still not the original.

• Business Travel

• cold_dead_bunny's Profile Photo

If you gonna rent private appartments

by cold_dead_bunny Updated Mar 2, 2008

For sure, to rent appartments is much cheaper then to stay in hotel, and, I think, more comforatble. So, if you are looking for a flat in Kiev, I will give you some advices and wornings:

- if you plan to stay in the city center /btw, prices there for 1-room flat is about $40-50, but if you try, you will find cheaper/, there houses mainly builted centure ago, so breakdown of running water in really common in this district. So, dont forget to ask agent if in flat there is hot water.

- As I mentioned before, buildings are old, max about 3-4 floors, so mind when you will pick up the floor. In this houses ceilings are 4 metres high (if they are built before war), so imagine how you will go upstairs every day without elevator on 4th floor.

- Generally about appartments - what you pay is what you get. If you pay $30/night in city center you will get a bit freaky flat with not really good decoration. If you pay $50 and more - then you can get something good.

- As I know, if you are comming for 1 or 2 days, no reservation can be made. When you arrive to the city, you just call to the agency , and they offer you free appartments which they have.

Thats all for this time... I hope, my tips will be usefull for your travells!

• Seniors

• Police and taxi

by caprice_222 Updated Jan 16, 2008

You should always keep your passport with you. Police in ukraine still corrupt and you should be careful about that. They think that "foreigners r reach" like people used to think during the USSR time and they (polismen) will always find the reason to make you pay. Whats why never show them your wallet and keep your documents, you should also have to know the telephone nomber of your embassy, travel agency or transletor who can help u. At least, if u r in the trouble, give policmen couple of dollars (not more than 10$, despite on that they ask for 200$) or buy some drinks. I know its awful and funny sometimes, but as ukrainian x-president said "we have what we have...."
    About the taxi drivers - if u dont speak their language they will ask you for the double price or even more. But thats normal, u have this kind of situation in every country. So, you should know, that for the short distance (center and bordering to it area) you pay around 25-50 UAH (its about 5-10$).

• simiritch's Profile Photo

TSA Lock Caution!!!!!

by simiritch Written Nov 25, 2007

Posted: Wed September 26, 2007 06:55 AM PDT
    We just went to Ukraine and on the way back our luggage was broken into after we
    checked it into Kiev Borispol Airport and our video camera was stolen.

Now I normaly would not put a video camera into checked baggage but I bought
    these heavy-duty metal TSA locks thinking that someone would really want to get
    into the suitcase to go through the trouble of cutting through metal to get it
    open. BTW, our connection through Munich was very quick and we got our bags in
    Los Angeles withing 20 minutes of landing, the theft did happen in Kiev where
    our bags went through Xray and were sitting for almost two hours before being
    loaded onto the plane

Here is what I have learned from this experience, these are facts:

1. Every airport in the world posseses TSA keys! I used to think it was only the
    US! These keys are everywhere and I imagine anyone can "buy" one.

2. We flew Lufthansa, a very reputable airline with a commitment to screen
    employees. But, the Kiev security guys, the ones that look into the bags with
    the Xray machine, are not Lufthansa employees but are contracted localy, in this
    case by a very corrupt security team. Xray machines can be a shopping tool for
    security screeners that hold TSA keys!

3. Lufthansa has zero interest in clamping down on theft in at least the Kiev
    airport! I will soon find out if they will replace my camera, but I have been up
    against a stonewall trying to get the Director of Lufthansa Operations at Kiev
    to either question the Xray screener or answer why they dont put a friggen
    camera on these guys.

4. Finaly, dont be an idiot like me and put anything priceless into checked
    baggage.

• Luxury Travel

• Watch out for Natalya the thief

by watchoutinkiev Updated Nov 10, 2007

Hi,

If you are out and about in Kiev watch out for this girl as she will steal from you as soon as look at you.

She says her name is Natalya and claims to live in Moscow but goes to Kiev for long periods of time to visit her mother. She says she is 23 and she clearly likes to enjoy the bright lights of Kiev. Among the list of places that she likes to visit is Shooters bar.

She isn't a whore in the conventional sense. She makes it clear that she is only interested in men who can spend a lot of money to keep her in the good life without her having to work. She is free and easy with her sexual favours to guys who fit the bill on throwing their cash around.

Watch out though. The day after a night of lust she is likely to pull a stunt like this; ask to borrow your cell phone, say she is popping outside to use it because it's too noisy in the cafe / shop / restaurant or wherever you may be and then lo and behold she will be gone. Ring your phone number to speak with her and she will tell you that you can only have the phone back in return for a sum of money.

This is speaking from experience with her.

• Jasen71's Profile Photo

Remember to Punch/Cancel your Bus/Tram Ticket

by Jasen71 Written Oct 30, 2007

On the buses and trolley-bus you have to pay a lady when you get on, however you are expected to know that you have to punch the ticket in a device on the upright rails. Now there are no signs telling you this and the lady might inform an inspector to come aboard and to check your ticket, and then start shouting at you and demanding monies in a form of a fine. This happened to me, but I was lucky to have won support from the public on the bue and I just walked pass the guard and inspector and got off the bus. So beware! Remember there are no signs or notices to inform you of this and the old lady that sells the tickets won't always tell you also, and probably informs the inspector.

• Trains

Instant Answers: Kiev

• adethesteam's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I have visited Kiev twice now and luckily I have had no problems with corrupt police, muggings, credit card scams or robbery on the Metro, ( I was robbed once in St Petersburg though, got hemmed in by some burly guys who stole about 5 pound from my back pocket but left my cards alone !!, I was lucky and I never take a lot of money with me when I go sightseeing ) Anyway back to Kiev, Kiev is a vast sprawling city full of high rise flats on the outskirts and some nice parks in the centre. It is traffic ridden and obviously there hasn`t been much investment in the infrastructure, I have traveled on metro and bus and Marshrutka and also I can read the cyrillic alphabet which does help. My advice is this : book at least your first nights accommodation before you arrive in Kiev, learn to read the alphabet and always be aware of your surroundings especially in the underground shopping alleys by the underpasses, (there are some VERY dubious characters around there) use your common sense and go into some of the local places to eat and speak English, most of the people I spoke to were brilliant and after a while open up to talking to you. The waitresses are very cold generally but if you go to a place regularly they get used to you and start to thaw. I have been to a few former Eastern block countries, including Russia, and generally I have had a great adventure, be careful but be aware, even in my home city of London I practice this. I have never flown into Boryspil airport, only Zhulzany, so I have no experience of what it is like to arrive there but if you go armed with info before arriving, maps of the transport system, maybe a taxi booked and some local currency I think this would help a lot. If anyone wants to talk to me about it email me at :gandalfade2003@yahoo.co.uk. Happy traveling.

Kiev Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Kiev warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kiev sightseeing.