Kiev Warnings and Dangers

• Getting pulled over on the way in to Kyiv.
    Getting pulled over on the way in to...
    by Pomocub
  • Warnings and Dangers
    by arturowan
  • Protesters & Protesting Comes With Trouble!
    Protesters & Protesting Comes With...
    by acommon1

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Kiev

• Dialing's Profile Photo

TV news

by Dialing Written Dec 6, 2004

The re-elections are scheduled now for December 26. In general travelling all over Ukraine is better psotponed until then.

For the most comprehensive reviews of the current situation in Ukraine please note:
    www.kyivpost.com
    www.5tv.com.ua

• Klod5's Profile Photo

Pickpoquets again !

by Klod5 Written Oct 30, 2004

Dangerous place !

Le problème des voleurs qui vous fouillent les poches sans vergogne est mondial. A Kiev, de nombreuses bandes se partagent le "marché". Mais ce n'est ni plus ni moins qu'ailleurs.
    C'est l'occasion pour moi de redonner "mes astuces"

1 Jamais de signe ostensibles que l'on est un touriste !
    2 Il existe des portefeuille, ou des porte-monnaie, munis d'une chaîne (5 à 10 Euros sur n'importe quel marché). C'est un bon moyen de dissuader les voleurs (la chaîne est visible).
    3 Ne pas mettre tout son argent au même endroit, et séparer cartes bancaires, espèces, chéquier...
    4 Dans les transports en commun, ne pas rester au milieu, mais toujours se mettre dos à une cloison (ou assis). Ne pas attendre à l'avant du quai (jamais personne derrière vous).
    5 Pas de signe ostensibles de richesse dans les lieux touristiques.
    6 Eviter de rester immobile dans une queue ou dans la rue.

Et surtout, rester attentif à tout ce qui vous entoure. Méfiez-vous des bousculades, des faux ivrognes, des enfants en bande...
    Les lieux les plus dangereux restent le métro, les lieux touristiques, la proximité des distributeurs automatiques...

The problem of the thieves that searches you the pockets without shame is world. In Kyiv, numerous strips share the "market". But it is no more no less only elsewhere.
    It is the opportunity for me to give back "my tricks"

1 never sign conspicuous that you are tourists !
    2 some portfolio exists, or of the purse, provide a chain (5 to 10 Euros on any market). It is a good means to dissuade the thieves (the chain is visible).
    3 not to put all his money in the same place, and to separate banking cards, species, checkbook...
    4 in the public transportation, not to remain to the middle, but always to get back to a baffle (or seated). Not to wait in the front for the embankment (ever no one behind you).
    5 Conspicuous steps of sign of wealth in the tourist places.
    6 to avoid to remain immobile in a tail or in the street.

• Bobek's Profile Photo

Cheap accommodation

by Bobek Updated Sep 13, 2004

You may get what you deserve

Please do not misunderstand me. I am not against inexpensive accommodation at all but what I sometimes found here at VT is an extreme rock-bottom low-budget ideology regarding services and accommodation in Kiev. Listen, folks, what you ask is what you will get! Of course you can pay almost nothing for a dry place under a roof but is this actually what you are looking for? Look, you are ready to pay 1,000 dollars or more to be taken for an adventure in a country that you expect to be 'absolutely inexpensive', you consider Ukraine being a poor developing country - And consequently people should be happy and thankful just because you bring a dollar? No, believe me, reality will teach you a lesson! At home you are aware that you have to pay for a clean and accurate place but you are not willing to pay the adequate price here? Fine, here you are: Go and ask the babushkas for a room for 10 dollars a night or less. You may be lucky - but in a different way you will have expected: You will receive your 'low budget adventure'. Please remember, if you are greedy wanting a clean room and a restroom or a great service for slightly more than nothing then go and live with nothing. If you want something acceptable, then pay acceptable.

I have been contacted a number of times regarding cheap and cheaper and even more cheaper accommodation in Kiev. Well, dear boys and girls, Kiev is a modern million city; if you cannot afford to pay a reasonable price for your holiday room or apartment in such a place then better stay at home. Or sleep under the bridges.

Please do also consult my accommodation clues. Comments are welcome of course.

• Study Abroad
    • Trains

• stella-artois's Profile Photo

Customs Declaration Form

by stella-artois Written Jul 10, 2004

Upon entering Borispol Airport in Kyiv be sure to fill out an entry customs declaration form. And make sure that you get it stamped by the proper individual. Although I had filled out my declaration form the man at the entry gate did not ask to see it. He simply asked how much money I had. I told him I had $1,400 American dollars and he told me to make sure I spent at least $400 of it while I was in Ukraine. And then he let me through without looking at my form. This was a big mistake. When I was going home and I got to Borispol Airport I was asked by a lady at the departure gate to see my entry form. I informed her that I did not have one because when I entered the guy at the entry gate didn't take mine. She told me that it should have been stamped when I entered. She then asked me how much money I had with me. I told her I had about $1,160 American dollars. She then told me that I was not allowed to bring more than $1,000 dollars into the country. I was obviously confused because I told the guy at the entry gate how much I had and there didnt seem to be a problem. Other than the fact that he told me spend $400 beofore I left. But that is difficult to do considering everything in Ukraine is so inexpensive. She then told me I had a big problem. She got her supervisor to come over and they told me to lay all of my money out on the counter so they could count it. So I did. Then the supervisor told me to take some of my money and go exchange it for some Ukrainian money. Now I was really confused because I read on the internet that you are not allowed to take Ukrainian money out of the country. But I did what he told me and then he allowed me to go through. I still can not make any sense out of all this but I think this problem could have been avoided if I had just simply gotten my entry declaration form stamped. And if anyone can clear this confusion up for me please email me. I would appreciate it greatly.

• micro90's Profile Photo

Toilets

by micro90 Updated Jan 12, 2004

Toilet paper in Kiev is not the best and the our hotel didnt put much in the way of toilet paper in their guess rooms. Taking some nice andrex in your case would be a good idea.

In Public toilets make sure buy paper before hand my friend had to use some local currency , how we laughed at him. This is him.

• OlenaKyiv's Profile Photo

Tanks in the city

by OlenaKyiv Written Jan 2, 2004

Military

Walking around Kyiv beware of tanks on the streets :-)) Near this tank you can see artilery and different military stuff.

But be quiet. They won't shoot, because they are from II world war and from preset time and they are only monuments on the territory of Museum dedicated to II World war.

• Museum Visits

• OlenaKyiv's Profile Photo

Danger of beauty

by OlenaKyiv Written Jul 21, 2003

On the party

hmmm…. what dangers are in Kiev??? Beware of GIRLS, There are plenty of beautiful ladies you can see in Kiev. They are nice and wonderful, kind and attractive, weak and strong. They draw an attention like flowers’ aroma draw an attention of bees. Protect your neck which can be hurt because of head’s turns following Ukrainian ladies.

• School Holidays
    • Singles

• Klod5's Profile Photo

Danger of frozen Dniepr

by Klod5 Updated Apr 16, 2003

The frozen Dniepr

It arrives in winter that the stream is covered in part of ice. The landscape takes a polar aspect then.
    In the islands in the center of the stream, walkers and fishers are to the appointment with ice. It arrives then frequently that walk on ice of people. Every year has the casualty, because of those that fall under ice, thus.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Beaches
    • Fishing

• catnl's Profile Photo

Immigration card to carry with u

by catnl Updated Jan 1, 2003

Immigration card Ukraine

When u enter Ukraine u get a card which u have to carry with u the time u are here.
    When i left the country i couldnt find this card its was somewhere between a lot of paperwork but they let me throught the customs anyway:-)
    When u enlarge the pictures u can read the rules.

• catnl's Profile Photo

usefull info

by catnl Updated Dec 30, 2002

Ukrainian usefull words

Always carry ur own suply of toiletpaper, public toilets tend to be unsanitary.
    Keep an eye on ur belogings, dont show them to much. Most hotels dont have have safety deposit boxes, so take most valuable things with u, prefarable hidden under ur clothings.
    When u wanna take a taxi, ask price before and email to Guilia-ua, she has good tips about Kiev, cause she's living here.

She gave me some phonenumbers of taxis who can be trusted.
    Thanx Guilia:-) It helped me a lot!

• Visas need to be obtained...

by StretfordEnd Written Sep 8, 2002

Visas need to be obtained before travelling to Kiev. Be warned that passports in less than perfect condition are liable to rejection. As always, take care walking at night, especially outside of City Centre. Don't drink too much vodka, the authentic Russian Vodkas are serious stuff.

• IngaA's Profile Photo

Pocket thiefs

by IngaA Updated Aug 24, 2002

Kyiv is quite safe place. It is noticed even in the internet. It's well lightened even at night, espceially the centre of the city. Of course, what else can tourist do :))
    no need to observe the 'sleeping districts', they are quite the same everywhere. So don't be afraid. The only thing that should be taken into account, is pocket thiefs. In public transport of course. Just don't carry the money in the coat pockets where it's easy to get them. In principle people don't complain. Such things can happen everywhere, or almost everywhere

• Tanechka's Profile Photo

Low crime level in Kiev does...

by Tanechka Written Aug 24, 2002

Low crime level in Kiev does not mean that you have to relax! I have been myself several times robbed in a day time (in the transport).Also beware to walk alone late at night and flash a lot of money!

• Michael_D's Profile Photo

I cant stress enough how...

by Michael_D Written Aug 24, 2002

I cant stress enough how important using the metros are in large cities...Kiev is no exception.Kiev now has a population of 3 million people and learning the metro will be a lifesaver...it was cheap...fast...and I met wonderfull people.

• hunterV's Profile Photo

Municipal Water!

by hunterV Updated Feb 9, 2010

The pedestrian bridge to the

I think it's better to avoid drinking the municipal water whose quality leaves much to be desired.
    Why not buy mineral water at a store?
    There is a big variety of Ukrainian mineral water on sale.

Instant Answers: Kiev

• adethesteam's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I have visited Kiev twice now and luckily I have had no problems with corrupt police, muggings, credit card scams or robbery on the Metro, ( I was robbed once in St Petersburg though, got hemmed in by some burly guys who stole about 5 pound from my back pocket but left my cards alone !!, I was lucky and I never take a lot of money with me when I go sightseeing ) Anyway back to Kiev, Kiev is a vast sprawling city full of high rise flats on the outskirts and some nice parks in the centre. It is traffic ridden and obviously there hasn`t been much investment in the infrastructure, I have traveled on metro and bus and Marshrutka and also I can read the cyrillic alphabet which does help. My advice is this : book at least your first nights accommodation before you arrive in Kiev, learn to read the alphabet and always be aware of your surroundings especially in the underground shopping alleys by the underpasses, (there are some VERY dubious characters around there) use your common sense and go into some of the local places to eat and speak English, most of the people I spoke to were brilliant and after a while open up to talking to you. The waitresses are very cold generally but if you go to a place regularly they get used to you and start to thaw. I have been to a few former Eastern block countries, including Russia, and generally I have had a great adventure, be careful but be aware, even in my home city of London I practice this. I have never flown into Boryspil airport, only Zhulzany, so I have no experience of what it is like to arrive there but if you go armed with info before arriving, maps of the transport system, maybe a taxi booked and some local currency I think this would help a lot. If anyone wants to talk to me about it email me at :gandalfade2003@yahoo.co.uk. Happy traveling.

Kiev Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Kiev warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kiev sightseeing.