Olesko is a place, known already from the end of 14th century. It was a possession of Polish, Lithuanian, Hungarian. It was always "on the route" to take it. As a castle it is not very important or very strong one, but some facts make it significant: here Polish - Lithuanian kings John III Sobieski and Korybut Wisniowiecki born here.
Nowadays it houses museum of history of Olesko castle, also some old paintings. The entrance was 10 grivens.
Olesko is about 75 kilometers from Lviv.
Zhovkva is known since 14th century as a settlement. It was fortified in 1594 by Polish commander Stanislaw Zolkiewski, after a few years it got city rights. Probably name of city comes from the name of Polish commander, who was also responsible to build a castle that could be seen today. In 17th century city was even used as as residence of Polish King John III Sobieski. Later place stood abandoned. Now after reconstructions it is again a town to make a bit of sightseeing - castle, St. Lawrence church, old gates, so on.
Zhovkva is about 30 kilometers from Lviv.
We decided to pay a visit to Folk Architecture Museum that we had seen on the city map after our excursion to Lychakiv Cemetery that was not far from it.
Since we did not have much time at our disposal, we took two taxis for our company of six persons and arrived to the museum site in no time.
Austrian Emperor Joseph II visited this grove one day. People began to call it Kaiserwald (“Emperor’s Forest”) afterwards.
This open air museum contains several ethnographic departments:
- the Boykos Land;
- the Lemkos Land;
- the Hutsuls Land;
- Podillia (“Lowlands”);
- Polissia (“Forest Land”).
A lot of old churches and houses from those areas were brought to that grove as museum exhibits.
The first one was a wooden church that was brought to the grove by the order of Metropolitan Andriy Sheptytsky in 1763.
Now you can see private houses with their interior and auxiliary household elements.
Also, there is a small managerie with goats and poneys at the territory of the museum.
This grove is popular on Easter holidays when young people’s festivals are held here.
The address is: 1 Chernecha Hora (“Monks’ Mountain”).
The museum is open from 10 a.m. till 7 p.m.
You can get there by streetcar #2 and #7.
I was surprised to see this monument on my way to the railway station.
It must the only monument of such kind in Ukraine.
On the third Sunday of May many Ukrainians pay homage to the millions of innocent people who suffered from the Soviet power and Stalinist purges from the twenties to the fifties of the last century.
The monument To the Victims of Communist Crimes is located in Bandera Street in Lviv.
The patriots' procession along Stepan Bandera Street pass the monument to the Victims of Communist Crimes. The people lay flower to the monument. Patriotic speeches are pronounced.
Heroes Festival in Lviv
The Ukrainian President said on the Memorial Day, “The Stalinist repressive machine destroyed all who attempted to resist it. Anyone — a peasant, an intellectual, a schoolteacher, an engineer, a worker or a scientist — could fall victim to it… It was a time of disillusionment, despair, and hopelessness. Our memory and prayers must become the best homage to those who died, just as we must take daily care of the people who survived those horrible years… May our joint memories become a guarantee that such tragedies will never happen again.”
There is High Castle Park around the mould built over the old castle.
You can walk about a mile along the winding serpentine road to get to the observation platform at the altitude of 413 meters above sea level.
We walked past the TV tower.
Be careful when you walk: the road is plastered with stones that tend to be slippery in rainy weather. Thank God there is an iron fence at the edge of the road up the hill.
The mould was built to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Union of Lublin (when Poland, Lithaunia and Ukraine were united into one kingdom).
Now you can only see a part of the wall of the former old castle.
We enjoyed the views from the observation platform and took a lot of pictures.
There is a spire with the national flag of Ukraine in the middle of the platform.
Views from the High Castle
On the way back we did not walk down the slippery winding path.
We decided to make our way shorter and walked down the old iron staircase consisting of more than 300 steps and arrived to High Castle restaurant.
During our stroll downtown we saw the remains of the ancient fortification wall in Ivan Pidkova Square.
Our guide draw our attention to that foundation and said it dated back to the end of the 14th century.
The ancient monuments are next door!
Lviv is the city where the Modern and the Ancient coexist peacefully and match each other.
(Stryiska St., Parkova St. )
Stryisky Park was founded in 1887 by Arnold Rohring. Rohring was a Inspector of the Lwow's verdancy. The most beautiful and exotic park range over 58 ha. Stryiski Park was the beloved place of lovers of the Polish Lwow and nothing changed when Lwow became Lviv. That park is still a magic place with swans and also tropical plants in green house. There are almost 200 species of trees and plants. You can also admire the monument of the Polish insurgent Jan Kilinski (1760-1819). There was a beautiful Palace of Arts in Stryisky park before the II WW, now there is a swimming-pool.
Znesinnya Park (Shevchenko Hai)
Znesinnya Park range over 58 ha and is situated near Lychakivska and M. Kryvonosa St. Park was founded on the place of former Kajzerwald and Lonszanowka. Splendid views and paths guarantee. It's hard to find out if park is the part of a Museum Park of Folk Architecture and Crafts (Exhibits of the Huculs culture-read more ***http://www.iabsi.com/gen/under) or the museum is a part of the Znesinnya Park. There is also the Orthodox church (18th century) that was carried over from the Krivky village.
The Arsenal Museum is a department of Lviv History Museum.
It is especially attractive for men.
It’s not for nothing that they say devil invented gunpowder for men and a mirror for ladies…
This museum is in the old Arsenal premises.
The City Arsenal as a part of the city fortifications was built in 1554-1556.
It’s the monument of Renaissance defense architecture.
The weapons museum was dedicated in 1981.
It contains a lot of ancient exhibits: swords including ancient Russian swords and a two-hand sword called flumber-bladed sword, sabres, daggers, etc.
They have Japanese samurai’s armor and weapons as well as hunter’s weapons, firearms and even old cannons.
A lot of weapons were made here, at the Arsenal in old times.
The museum is open from 10 a.m. till 4.30 p.m. every day except Wednesday.
The museum is dedicated to the memory of Markiyan Shashkevych, a famous Ukrainian writer who lived in Lviv. He became the founder of the Ukrainian literature of Galicia.
In 1837 he wrote a book called Dniester Mermaid. It won the hearts of thousands of readers.
The museum is located in the belfry of the Holy Spirit Church – the church which the writer used to attend.
Unfortunately, the church was destroyed by a Nazi bomb during the Second World war. So they chose the old belfry as the museum premises to commemorate the outstanding local writer.
Shashkevych also wrote a lot of books for children and poems.
He died at the age of 32 and was buried at Lychakiv Cemetery in Lviv.
Also, you can see a model of the old Holy Spirit Church at this museum.
There is a monument to Markian Shashkevych next to the belfry.
On Sundays there is divine service at this belfry.
The museum is open from 10 a.m. till 5 p.m.
This is how they often call this street - Shevchenko Avenue located downtown.
It leads from Mikhail Hrushevsky monument to Mitzkevich Square.
It is one of the two avenues in Lviv.
Its old name is Academic Avenue.
There is a maple boulevard in the middle of this avenue.
Seven streets begin from the end of Shevchenko Avenue.
I enjoyed viewing the architecture there: very unusual and splendid apartment houses.
The Prosecutor’s Office looks grand too!
There is great store in this avenue: Svitoch – the company store of the local confectionery company known all over Ukraine.
Also, there is a big bookstore here.
Cathedral of St.Olha and St.Elizabeth is located not far from the railway station in Kropivnytsky Square, at the corner of Bandera Street.
You can reach it by tram #9 and tram #1 (one stop).
The cathedral was called after Empress Elizabeth (Sissi) Habsburg, the wife of Emperor Franz Joseph I.
The cathedral was built from 1903 till 1911 by architect Thodor Maryan Talevsky.
It was built in Neo-Gothic style.
The quaint town of Zhovkva is a pleasant daytrip from Lviv. It is located about 30 km north of Lviv and is home to about 13.500 people.
Due to its rich and interesting history which dates back to the 14th century, the town has a large number of architectural interesting buildings.
Among them are not only several churches, but also a large market square, an ancient castle and an old synagogue.
How to get to Zhovkva?
We went to Zhovkva by minibus (marshrutka). In Lviv they leave from the bus station no. 2 at Bohdana Khmelnytskoho Street, just north of the city centre.
Nevertheless, we took a minibus from Chornovola Prospekt just in front of the Jewish Ghetto Memorial. The fare was 3 UAH and the journey took about 35 minutes.
Went to Krakowsky Market and spent couple hours browsing and haggling. What a wonderful market. Real people; no tourists. One can really see how Lviv people shop. Just looking at the people who were buying and selling was far more interesting than any number of churches and museums. I highly recommend any tourist to spend time at these local markets.
The history of the Citadel dates back to the 19th century when it was part of the city's fortification system.
At this time Lviv belonged to the Austrian monarchy.
Later in WWII the Citadel was used as a hideaway place for Ukrainan partisans and also as a concentration camp for war prisoners.
The Citadel is situated in the Park Citadel, which can be found near the city centre, just south of the Adam Mickiewitz Square.
Jacob Rapoport's Beth Hoolim was the former Jewish hospital of Lviv.
The Moorish style building is topped by a dome which is decorated with David stars just below the roof. Nowadays the building is still used as a hospital.
Beth Hoolim is located at the Jacob Rapoport Street, just northeast of the city centre and in the neighbourhood of the the large Krakivsky Market.