Lviv Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Lviv

• ainsleigh's Profile Photo

Panska Charka: Order Carefully and Check your Bill!

by ainsleigh Updated Jan 5, 2013

We decided to visit this Ukrainian restaurant on a whim after the place we wanted to go was full. The food was quite good; I had peasant borscht and potato dumplings, and my husband had a steak and grilled vegetables.

Unfortunately when the bill came we were pretty shamelessly ripped off. The menu listed the steak at 54 hryvnias for 150 grams. On the bill, we were charged for 200 grams of steak at 128 hryvnias. I can read Cyrillic, and when I asked our server he wouldn't correct the bill, told me all steaks were automatically charged like that and it says so on the menu. It doesn't, and there was no way I was going to waste any real time and energy arguing with him, but please beware because who knows what you'll owe them when you leave. You could also likely avoid all this by ordering very carefully or speaking Ukrainian well, and we admittedly did not do either.

Favorite Dish: The peasant borscht was really good.

• Pomocub's Profile Photo

Kryyivka: The not so secret restaurant

by Pomocub Written Nov 24, 2012

The famous Kryyivka Menu

Kryyivka is a "secret" themed restaurant located on Rynok Square in L'viv. The restaurant is themed as an old army bunker with old guns and war memorabilia dotted around. I decided to visit this restaurant after seeing so many good reviews on VT but found it very disappointing.

As you find the entrance door you must knock on the door where an "officer" will hold a gun at you and ask for the password. I said "Slava Ukrayina" which I believed to be the password but they wouldn't let me in and shut the door. I knocked again, said "Slava Ukrayina" again and he said that the password was "Heroyam Slava" I thought this is what they said in response to you so maybe they change the password between the two phrases. Anyway, We were allowed in but was not offered any special spy vodka and we were not allowed into the underground area.

The food was actually very nice but I was a little disappointed that we didn't get welcome that we had read about as we were all looking forward to visiting the restaurant before we arrived. The service from the waiters/ waitresses was great.

Favorite Dish: I had the boar sausage which was very nice.

• Centaur (Kentavr): Fancy and tasty at the same time!

by Ivo_K Updated Sep 1, 2012

We visited this restaurant in the end of August 2012 and it was not easy to find seats in its summer garden. The mythical creature Kentavr has no connection to this restaurant or its cuisine (don't expect a Greek restaurant for instance), but I guess it is a pretty kick-butt mascot. The cafe as it is actually called has a great location right in the heart of the city - it's located on the busy Market Square (Plosha Rynok), it works from 10:00 till 23:00 and has a dining area with a laid back atmosphere with inspiring paintings, some of which are the work of local painters and can be even purchased. Ukrainian and European dishes dominate the menu - varenyky, pork dishes of all shapes and sizes and savoury fish dishes are some of the highlights of this venue. Rich desserts such as several types of strudel and cheesecakes that go great with the specialty tea, which arrive to the table in fancy pots. We tried beef Stroganoff, their chicken fillet and two desserts, all of them have been very good! Brunch is served daily from 11:00-13:00. The prices are a little bit above the average for L'viv, but its location and the tasty dishes are worthy the slightly higher prices. The service was very good and the personnel was very kind and speaking several languages, but forgot 2 times to bring what we have ordered...

Favorite Dish: Beef Stroganoff

• Castles and Palaces

• Strudel Haus: Great experience in the centre of Lviv!

by Ivo_K Updated Sep 1, 2012

The venue from the outside

We have visited twice this small venue (it has 3 tables inside and 5-6 tables for 4 people outside) that is situated in the very centre of Lviv - literally 30 m from the famous Lviv Market Square (Plosha Rynok). Working time is from 10:00 till 22:00 and with such a relaxing atmosphere that reminds of Vienna it offers different kinds of very tasty strudel - both savoury & sweet (sauerkraut, spinach, chicken, pineapple, walnut, cherry, etc.) with prices brtween 20-30 Hr. They are serving also several varieties of pancakes, salads and icecream or you take a look also at their nice wine list. The service is very good although we waited a little bit longer the second time when also the ordered pancakes with chocolate, nuts and banana that were served actually without nuts in them. The prices are in general quite ok, we have paid between 85 and 100 Hr. for a breakfast for three people. They have very interesting breakfast combi menu for 30 Hr. including combinations of different strudels, omelettes or cheesecake with different kids of coffee-based drinks for 30 Hr. in total.

Favorite Dish: The pancakes with chocolate, nuts and banana

• Castles and Palaces

• jonathanbarker's Profile Photo

Puzata Khata: Traditional Ukrainian food

by jonathanbarker Written Aug 5, 2012

When we arrived in Lviv our hostel receptionist recommended us this restaurant as we wanted to eat a good Ukrianian food in a place where the locals go. When we entered the place the staff all wear traditional Ukrainian clothes, and served a selection of soups, main courses, bread, desserts, beers and hot drinks from serveries. Customers could wash their hands before collecting a tray & then visiting the serveries for as much or little food from each, each item is chargable when visiting the till. Customers then find a table & enjoy the food.

Favorite Dish: We found the soups very tasty including the vegetable soup (with a slice of lemon) served in a bowl which has an olive & sour cream. The cheesecake & pancakes were also very tasty and so different from cheesecake & pancakes served anywhere else.

• LesyaM's Profile Photo

Split Club Lviv: The fabulous place in the fabulous city!

by LesyaM Written Jun 7, 2012

Split’s dining area and large circular bar feature a deep burgundy and wood-accented decor and you can often hear live music in the evening. There’s a separate Japanese room, where you can watch the chef prepare your meal on the teppanyaki grill. Split’s Kids Club offers children’s activities, special events and a venue for birthday parties. The narrow covered outdoor terrace offers you a great view of Prospect Svobody and Lviv’s historic center.

Favorite Dish: Club Split’s menu features rich Continental European, traditional Ukrainian and innovative Japanese cuisine. Meat lovers will want to try the Veal Ossobuco with Polenta or the Veal Medallions in Pepper-Cognac Sauce. Seafood options include Baked Sea Bass with Asparagus, Spinach and Pine Nuts and Salmon Teryaki with Spinach Souffle. For some dinner theater, head to the Japanese Room, where you can find freshly grilled seafood, meat and vegetables prepared teppanyaki-style by the chef right in front of you. For dessert there are classics like tiramisu and panna cotta and the decadent Chocolate Recklessness with Kahlua. Split even offers its littlest diners a separate children’s menu.

• Business Travel

• Panorama: Breathtaking view from the restaurant terrace!

by Gurmanka Written May 23, 2012

On the restaurant terrace

Restaurant is situated on the roof of the Opera Hotel in the historical center of Lviv. Breathtaking view from the restaurant terrace: you can enjoy the panorama of architectural masterpieces of this old cozy town from one of the highest points.

Josper bar & restaurant. European cuisine, rich wine card, interior in surrealistic style, smoking and no-smoking rooms, terrace with unique view to the center of the town.

• Business Travel

Cafe Mapa

by HORSCHECK Written Oct 9, 2011

Inside Cafe Mapa

During a rainy day in June 2010 we took a break inside the Cafe Mapa (Kaviarnya Mapa). It is decorated with all sorts of maps and old photos. An outdoor terrace faces the pedestrianised Halyatska street. Free WiFi is available.

The menu offers a wide range of hot and cold drinks as well as all sorts of snacks and cakes. I drank a hot cacao for 13,00 UAH and really enjoyed the atmosphere of the place.

Cafe Bar Nostalgia

Pork shashlik at Cafe Bar Nostalgia

On our last evening of our first visit of Lviv in June 2007 we found by chance the Cafe Bar Nostalgia which is actually a restaurant.

On entering the restaurant we realised that the staff spoke only limited English and the menu was in Ukrainian only. As we can both read cyrillic letters and speak some Russian we decided to give it a try.

The restaurant consists of two nicely decorated rooms with not too many tables.

It wasn't too difficult to find an appropriate dish on the Ukrainian menu, as many meals have international names and can be identified by converting the cyrillic into latin letters.

I finally decided on a pork shashlik (16,20 UAH) with rice (6,50 UAH) as side order. To drink I opted for a Pint of Lvivske beer (6,00 UAH).

The meal was very yummy and due to the fact that probably mainly locals visited this upscale restaurant we enjoyed our evening in an Ukrainian atmophere.

Zolotyi Vepr

Zolotyi Vepr

Zolotyi Vepr (Golden Boar) is one of the newer slightly upscale restaurants in Lviv. It consists of several vaulted underground rooms, some of which are decorated with stuffed boars.

The bilingual Ukrainain English menu offers European and Ukrainian cuisine with a vast selection of pork dishes. Most sides have to be ordered seperately.

In June 2007 I had a pork chop (Svynna vidbyvna) and a pint of Kristall beer.

With 12,40 UAH for the pork chop without a side dish and 7,00 UAH for the beer, prices were slightly above average, but still cheap for western standards.

Restaurant Amadeus

Restaurant Amadeus - My pork steak

On our last evening in Lviv in May 2008 we chose Restaurant Amadeus for dinner. We had read some good reviews about it and decided to give it a try.

It is a Viennese style restaurant and cafe with a wooden outdoor terrace. Both a smoking and a non smoking room with all together less than 10 tables are available, therefore a reservation might be recommended.

As we arrived early we were lucky enough to get a free table. Live jazz style music was preformed by two older guys. The music was still quiet enough for conversation.

The menu is available in English and offers a wide variety of Ukrainian, Polish and international cuisine. Just note that side dishes have to be ordered separately. Prices are above average, therefore you will probably mainly meet tourists here.

I opted for a pork steak (68 UAH) with french-fried potatoes (9 UAH). To drink I had a Pint of local Lvivske Premium beer (9 UAH). The steak was delicious and filling.

Puzata Khata

Puzata Khata

Puzata Khata (Peasant House) is a Ukrainian self-service restaurant chain, which serves all sorts of local meals from breakfast to dinner.

In both June 2007 and May 2008 we visited their branch at Vul. Sichovykh Strilsiv for a lunch break.

The restaurant is decorated in a national Ukrainain style and the staff wears traditional clothes.

Due to its proximity to both Lviv's city centre and the university, the place seems to be always busy.

You can compose your meal from the categorised selection counters. I chose a pork steak (7,80 UAH) with rice and vegetables as side dish. To drink I had a small Premium beer (3,50 UAH).

The food was tasty but nothing special. Nevertheless, I would always go there again as it is the perfect place to try some typical local meals and do some people watching at the same time.

U pani Stefy

by HORSCHECK Written Oct 8, 2011

Restaurant U pany Stefy

During the VT meeting in June 2010 we had dinner twice in the restaurant U pani Stefy, which is specialised in Ukrainian cuisine.

The interior of the restaurant consists of one relatively large room and therefore seems to be perfect for tour groups. The restaurant is decorated with traditional Ukrainian knick knack.

On both evenings we could chose from a standard and a special menu. During the two visits of the restaurant I had besides a beetroot soup (Borscht) and a mixed salad also pork shashlik with fries and pancakes with meat filling.

The meals were all tasty and service was relatively quick, taking into consideration that we were a group of more than 20 VT members.

Cafe Rudyi Kit

by HORSCHECK Updated Oct 8, 2011

Kievskyi cake at Cafe Rudyi Kit (2007)

Rudyi Kit (Red Cat) is a cafe and cake shop, which we visited one late afternoon in June 2007 when it was just about starting to rain. During the big VT meeting in June 2010 we enjoyed some cakes and drinks with a bunch of happy VT members here.

It is a simple furnished cafe with a glassy counters full of homemade cakes and tarts.

Some other snacks are available as well. Downstairs is a sort of bar and disco where the local young people seem to gather.

The prices of the cakes are by weight. I chose a piece of the tasty and filling Kievskyi cake. It is a Ukrainian speciality made of layers of merinque and chocolate. My 200 gram piece was 15,90 UAH. A cup of tea cost 6,00 UAH.

• hunterV's Profile Photo

Puzata Khata: A La Carte Eatery

by hunterV Updated Apr 4, 2011

Puzata Khata  Ukrainian restaurant

My host Vlad and I had lunch at this cozy restaurant.
    It is a low budget restaurant and a very busy place.
    They have self service there and you choose what you see.
    I liked the big space and the rich country decor there.
    No photography is allowed there. I didn't know about it and only managed to take two quick pictures with my phone camera (no flash) when the security guard stopped me.
    The meals were great and I wished we had sampled some more dishes.
    Next time maybe!

Favorite Dish: chicken Kiev;
    borshch;
    varenyky;
    stuid fruit with a pie.

• Festivals
    • Photography

Instant Answers: Lviv

Comments

Lviv Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Lviv restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lviv sightseeing.