Lviv Transportation

Most Recent Transportation in Lviv

• convoyblue's Profile Photo

Train/Bus to Lviv

by convoyblue Updated Apr 4, 2011

Train transportation available from Warsaw, Wroclaw, Krakow, Prague, Bratislava, Budapest, Venice, Zagreb, Lublana, Athens, Bucharest, Sofia, Berlin, Vienna, Petersburg, Moscow, Minsk.
    Check the official web site of Ukrainian Railways http://www.uz.gov.ua/ or

Railway Booking Office 20, Hnatyuka St. Lwow (Lviv)

Lwow (Lviv) has regular long distance bus communication with Poland, Hungary, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Greece, France, and Russia.Main international motorways E-40 and E -573.

The speed limit in populated areas is 60 km/hour. In other areas it is 80 km/hour (buses), 130 km/hour (motorways). There is no permissible content of alcohol in the drivers blood, so if you drink something take a taxi.

Fuel - Average prices per litre are :
    diesel 1,15 UAH 0,25 Euro,
    95- 1,65 UAH (0,35 Euro).
    98 - 2,00 UAH (0,41 Euro).

Taxis usual waiting in the street are considerably more expensive than those hailed. It's easier and cheaper to hail a private car in the street, as owners often act as taxi drivers.

Important: I won't advise you to get in a private car with more than one person already in it. You also should set the price before getting in.

Rides are usually equivalent to about 2,5 Euro in the city centre, and up to 5 Euro to Lviv'v suburbs.

• convoyblue's Profile Photo

Airplane to Lviv

by convoyblue Updated Apr 4, 2011

UIA

Ukrainian Airlines (Lviv office)
    phone +(38 0322)-98-69-77, 69-27-44
    fax +(38 0322)-69-24-40
    e-mail mau@avia.lviv.ua

Internationals Offices of Ukrainian Airlines- check:http://www.ukraine-international.com/eng/worldwide/index.html

Lviv Airways (Tel. 436-2543) operates five daily flights from Moscow's Vnukovo Airport. One-way tickets cost ca. $150

Airport in Lviv is situated on the southern suburbs of Lviv. The cost of travel from Warsaw to Lviv is ca. 160 Euro

• Cruise
    • Business Travel

• arturowan's Profile Photo

bus-lines-of-Ukraine

by arturowan Written Mar 5, 2011

It is possible to travel direct from London, direct to L'vov, thanks to a Ukraine-based operator.
    The service leaves London Green-line, fortnightly, promptly at 20:00
    (I emphasise prompt, because there is a UK-based, 'cowboy' operator, Eastern European Travel, offering a straight-through service to L'vov, except they change coaches in Poland, having left London an hour late, due to taking on-board parcels belonging to folk who do not board the coach - then this has to be delivered to home addresses after reaching Ukraine, adding 10 hours to the due arival time, where the full journey ends, in Kiev...)
    If you travel with the Ukrainian operator, you'll receive a professional service & be in L'vov in the early hours of Thursday morning.
    I would not care to do this distance on a full coach, but travelling out of season means a seat to yourself, so you can sleep when you please, though only the German autobahn section is boring & passing through the scenery of 5 different countries, is in my opinion, what TRAVEL IS ALL ABOUT. If you're not in a mad rush to arrive & want to savour the delights of cross-channel duty-free shopping, the many rest stops along the way, & the magnificent Polish pine forests, sprinkled with snow & a crimson sun glowing through a pink sky, then take the coach, not the plane...

• Adventure Travel

• om_212's Profile Photo

super cheap flight from Kyiv to Lviv

by om_212 Updated Sep 14, 2010

this is the fastest and the cheapest option available so far - to get from Kyiv (Boryspil International Airport, terminal A) to Lviv for a 1.5 hour for as low as UAH 68 (around $15 one way; all taxes included). this is a SUPER PROMO price offered by a newly launched budget airline WIZZAIR. to get this lowest price, it's better to make a reservation (via internet) at least 2 weeks in advance, as the regular price might be as high as UAH 436.

the flight from Kyiv-Boryspil departs on 15:05 on M, W, Fr, Su., and arrives in Lviv at 16:30.
    the flight from Lviv departs on 17:00 on M, W, Fr, Su, and arrives in Kyiv at 18:15

P.S. as of 2009, wizzair discontinued flight to Lviv and Odesa. currently, the airline flies only to Simferopol (Crimea).

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Krakow to Lviv by Afternoon train

by suvanki Updated Jul 10, 2010

Our train to Lviv

Our trip from Krakow to Lviv was made all the more easier by Matts planning and organising-He sorted the afternoon and night departures for us, (so we could chose which one we preferred to travel on), organised who was sharing which carriage, setting up bank accounts for us to send the money, once the ticket prices were sorted, collecting the tickets for us, and arranging 'Train Captains' Matt would meet us at our hotel, as he was driving to Lviv.

Even for Matt, booking the tickets wasn't straight forward. You can't book online. Tickets to Lviv are purchased in person at the International Cashier desk at Krakow Glowny rail station. This can be done from 60 days prior to departure.

Initially I liked the sound of the night train,(Depart Krakow Glowny at 22.32, arrive Lviv 06.03) but then considered that I most likely wouldn't sleep, and if I did, the thought of being woken at the border, plus our planned morning walk around Lviv had me booking the day train. Also Ukraine time was 1 hour ahead of Poland!

Leaving Krakow Glowny station about 15 minutes late (Departure should have been 13.01) we settled into our carriages, which with our cases etc were quite compact. When the door was closed I seriously thought that I'd be exiting at the next station -as I was feeling a bit claustrophobic! However, with the door opened, I was Ok, and I had poons and toonsarah to chat to. All of the VTers were in the same wagon. I'm sure that the non-VTers on this train didn't quite know what to make of our international gang, who were like an excited school party, visiting each others cabins, taking photos of each other and our VA's, bobbing our heads out of the window etc etc.

So what to do to pass the time?

!. Make yourself comfy- Our carriage was for 3 people, with a bench seat, that converted into bunk beds, I should have thought to use one of the pillows for a cushion for my back, as it wasn't too comfy for a shorty like me - luckily I could walk around, so it wasn't too bad.
    Bring a book/ music / snacks and drinks etc - Courtney brought her knitting.

2. Explore your carriage- There was a cabinet with bottles of water, and an electric socket - handy for re-charging phones/ Mp3's etc. A table top covered a wash basin (we didn't use this) individual lights for the bunk beds, and a supply of bedding. Lots of knobs and buttons-I think one was a call button for the train attendent

to be continued....

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Taxi from Train Station to Hotel George

by suvanki Updated Jun 27, 2010

Organising our taxi ride.....

Our group arrived at Lviv station past midnight, the night train gang were 'on their way', and the road travelers had arrived.

We were all booked into Hotel George, in the centre of Lviv.

Not having any Ukranian currency, the first task was to exchange money-either at the ATM or at the exchange desk.

There were 5 of us and our bags, left looking for a taxi. The taxi rank is right outside the station. (An assortment of models of varying age!) SueT went to negotiate a price with one driver - he quoted 50 Ukraine Hryvnia (UAH) (about £4.30- though My brain wasn't upto converting at this time-I was still getting used to Sterling/Zlotys)
    However, he thought his taxi was too small for us all, and pointed out another taxi. SueT again, checked that he'd take us to Hotel George for 50UAH - he repeated Hotel George, and agreed.

We piled in- Well SueT, poons, Gillybob and DavidGB piled into the back seat-I had the 'luxury' of the front passenger seat - a seat belt that wouldn't work, and a crack on the windscreen in front of me. I did feel quite bad though when I saw DavidGB realising that his train journey from Hell, was now quite comfy compared to this...

Now, I'd not been to Lviv before, and I hadn't really 'done my homework' before this trip, but I knew that our hotel was in the centre of town, and it was of a certain age.. so I was quite surprised when we eventually pulled into the grounds of a smart, and modern hotel.. trying to decipher the name, it didn't look like any version of Hotel George-The driver was out, and starting to unload our luggage (while the back seat occupants were untangling themselves)

We pointed out that this wasn't our hotel - which the driver took some time to understand!!! We eventually communicated that we wanted to be at Hotel George. With an air of reluctance he put our cases back and we resumed our seating arrangements.

A few minutes later we were at Hotel George-where the fare had now become 80UAH! (around £6.80) Again, it wasn't until much later that I realised that although expensive for Ukranian rates, for us it was a cheap journey-although at the time it seemed quite a lot!!!

We all put it down to experience - However a few minutes later, more of our party arrived, who had been stung for a lot more.

Returning to the train station early in the morning, our hotel reception organised taxis for us, which arrived promptly. Our fare was 30UAH

Apparently, only one company has metred taxis at present- presumably this will change in time for Euro2012, when Lviv is one of the host cities.

The usual price from the train station to the centre of Lviv is 25-30 UAH. (£2.12- £2.54) I'm not sure if there is a (legal) night time supplement as there often is in other countries.

So, have this money to hand.
    Having the name of your hotel and address (and telephone number) on a piece of card, (plus in the Cyrillic alphabet) might help.

Some taxi companies

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Trams

by toonsarah Updated Jun 24, 2010

Tram near the Lychakiv Cemetery

A network of trams serves Lviv’s city centre but you are unlikely to use them a lot as most of the sights are within easy walking distance of each other. There are a few places however on the outskirts of town for which a tram or taxi will be needed. We took a tram to visit the Lychakiv Cemetery and found the system to be much as it is in many other European countries. You need to buy your ticket in advance from one of the many small newsstands to be found on the main streets. A single trip cost just one Hryvnia in June 2010 (about 0.10€) – buy two tickets if you know you’ll be making a return journey to save looking for a kiosk again at your destination. When you board the tram be sure to validate your ticket at one of the machines mounted high on the side wall (photo 2). I found that the machine tended to mangle the thin paper rather than punch it, but at least it was visibly stamped had any inspector wanted to see it.

The best tram for the cemetery is number 7, but number 4, which we took, also gets you close. Many of them pass through the main square and as there’s a tourist information office there I would suggest you check there if you need to find out about other routes, or see “Lviv in your pocket” for information on trams to specific sights.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

To Lviv by train

by toonsarah Updated Jun 24, 2010

On the train to Lviv

I came to Lviv by train from Krakow with a group of other VTers, and it was quite an adventure – an adventure that some of us enjoyed more than others! I have to say that I fell into the first group. I have always loved travelling by train. There is a definite romance to it, and however scruffy the train and slow the journey, something in me responds to that – maybe my inner Michael Palin coming out!

Whatever the reason, I really enjoyed this journey, but I don’t want to ignore the drawbacks. The main one of these is time – you need a lot of it! We left Krakow at about 1.20 pm (should have been 1.01 pm) and didn’t arrive in Lviv until midnight. As the Ukraine is one hour ahead of Poland that’s a journey time of nine and a half hours. The return trip was similar, leaving Lviv at about 7.20 am and arriving in Krakow at 3.30 pm = just over 9 hours. These are quite elderly trains and consequently move slowly, but the main causes of the long journey times are the border formalities (especially clearing Ukrainian immigration) and the need to change the whole undercarriage (the bogey) to accommodate the different gauges used in Poland and Ukraine. This is a major operation. A few carriages at a time are shunted into a siding where huge jacks raise them to a height which allows the engineers to get underneath, detach and slide out one set of wheels, and slide in and make secure the others. You can stay on the train throughout (indeed the doors are locked I think) and watch from the windows, which is entertaining for a while, but unless you’re a real train enthusiast you may find the novelty has worn off long before the operation is complete.

All of the above also means lots of interruptions to your journey, which are welcome mini-events when travelling by day but (I gather from those who travelled overnight) a major irritation if trying to sleep. Talking of sleep, travel by day and night is in compartments which can be converted from seating to bunks, so having a lie down is possible at any time. We travelled in a second class compartment, which meant three people sharing, and managed to arrange things so we shared only with VTers. However the corridor was a great meeting place for everyone from the carriage, and on the outward journey we had fun chatting (as far as language limitations would allow) to some of our neighbours – a mining engineer returning from a conference to his home near Kiev, and a young Russian guy who had just said goodbye to his new Polish wife as they had to wait several months for her to get permission to come to live in Russia with him.

We also found the carriage attendants to be friendly and helpful (photo 3). They will brew up a coffee or tea (the first cup is free), sell small snacks such as chocolate bars or peanuts (and dish out free, and tasty, croissants as “souvenirs”) and help you on and off the train with your bags. A bottle of water was also provided for each passenger, but you may want to supplement the on-board catering with your own supplies – a bottle of wine will help the journey go faster for sure!

Finally, there are toilets at each end of the corridor, but some less salubrious than others, although the smelliest one was cleaned by the attendant part way through the journey. Smoking isn’t allowed in the carriage but is possible in the spaces between.

Lviv’s grand (if rather rundown) station (photos 4 and 5) lies some distance to the west of the town centre so you will probably want to take a taxi to and from it. If you do, make sure you confirm the price before you set off. Arriving late and tired from Krakow we made the silly mistake of not doing so, and nor had we quite familiarised ourselves with the exchange rates, so we were well and truly ripped off. On our return we had booked several taxis for the group and agreed on 25 UAH for the trip, which is reasonable.

I understand from Matt that it isn’t possible to book tickets in advance from outside the country – and from his accounts it’s also pretty difficult to book them from within!

Trams

by Dabs Updated Jun 24, 2010

Central Lviv is an extremely walkable city, I'm sure in our 2 1/2 days there that we covered almost all of it on foot. But if you are making a journey to the Lychakiv cemetery or the Museum of Folk Architecture and Life, you will want to take one of the trams that run from the center. We bought our tickets from a kiosk near our hotel, it's a ridiculously cheap 1hr to ride the tram, about 12 cents. Buy two tickets if you need a round trip as you won't always find a kiosk near the tram stop.

We took tram #2 and ended up walking a bit, there's another tram line that runs right in front of the cemetery which is tram #7.

I can't say we mastered the tram system as Matt guided us on the way to the cemetery and we caught a tram back and got off once we saw familiar surroundings but the Rough Guide and In Your Pocket both list what trams to take for out of the way sites and your hotel desk should also be able to help you get on the right tram.

A link to the tram routes is listed below

TRAIN TO LVIV - CHANGE OF AXLES

by LoriPori Updated Jun 24, 2010

Change-over at the Border

It was necessary to change axles on our trip from Krakow to Lviv and then again Lviv to Krakow. It took about 2 hours for the changeovers - quite fascinating really.
    A Variable Gauge System allows railway vehicles in a train to travel across a break-of-gauge caused by two railway networks with differing track rail gauges, such as between Krakow, Poland and Lviv, Ukraine.
    For through operation, a train must be equipped with special bogies (wheeled wagon or framework carrying wheels) holding variable gauge wheelsets containing a Variable Gauge Axle (VGA). The gauge is altered by driving the train through a gauge changer (photos # 1 & 2). As the train passes through the gauge changer, the wheels are unlocked, moved closer together, or further apart (as needed) and are then re-locked.
    Variable Gauge Axles (VGA) help solve the problem of a break-of-gauge without having to resort to dual gauge tracks or transfer of cargo or passengers. VGA changes tend to occur more often at international borders.
    My source of information was Wikipedia.

TRAIN - KRAKOW>LVIV>KRAKOW

by LoriPori Updated Jun 20, 2010

Hansi & our Train

May 31, 2010
    Night Train to Lviv:
    Matt (Matcrazy01) reserved and booked train tickets to Lviv and back to Krakow for us. Hans and I requested 2nd class in sleeping compartment for 3 people. It was 249.80 zl each for Hans and I - so altogether 500 zl or about $160.00 CDN.
    We were scheduled to depart at 10:32 p.m. About ten of us boarded the night train. Our passports and group tickets were checked before we were allowed onto the train. We were allocated a sleeping compartment for three. Ove (OH_DK) shared the compartment with Hans and I. It was already late so we made up our beds (sheets & pillows provided) and tried to get some sleep, even with "party central" next door to us. At the end of the Polish border, we were awakened as we had to produce our passports and then again at the Ukraine border (it was now about 4:00 a.m. We finally arrived in Lviv about 6:15 a.m.

Day Train back to Krakow:
    Departure 7:19 a.m. Lviv Train Station
    The Day Train was fun, as we were all awake, walking around and visiting each other. We enjoyed looking out the windows, taking in the countryside and little towns.
    Also actually got to see how they changed the wheels on the train - fascinating and time consuming - two hours.

Lviv airport

by Dabs Updated Jun 20, 2010

Lviv's departure board

When we asked at our hotel how much before our flight we needed to be at the airport it sounded like such a short period of time and I didn't want another missed flight on this journey so we left Lviv at 1pm for a 2:40pm flight. Now that I've been through the Lviv airport, scarcely bigger than my house and with less amenities, I understand not wanting to get there too early. Look at the arrival and departure boards and you'll notice that EVERY flight for the week is listed, that's how few flights go in and out of this airport. I believe there is at least one flight every day to Warsaw on LOT, some days there are two.

Checkin for our flight to Warsaw took all of about 2 minutes, getting through customs maybe another 3 minutes, good thing we brought plenty of things to read.

I don't recall seeing any place to buy anything, certainly not any last minute souvenirs nor anything to eat or drink. There was a WC though but I didn't venture in having remembered the squat toilet experience in Simferopol, I was sure to use the loo at the hotel before leaving.

TAXI

by LoriPori Updated Jun 19, 2010

Taxi

As soon as our group arrived at the LvivTrain Station, there were two taxi drivers who pounced on us and tried to grab our suitcases. We said no and they went away. As we all stood together in the Station ( as some of us needed to pin some Ukraine money) a big guy approached us. Of course, he was a taxi driver. At first he said 30 UAH (which is about $3.00 U.S.) but after thinking that we were Americans, the price suddenly jumped to $10.00 U.S. We told him "NO" and he eventually went away.
    Outside the station, on the street, there were many Taxis. Hans and I shared with Diana (Dila). She gave me 10 UAH and we had 20UAH. We picked one out from the line-up, (as the taxi had a nice big trunk for our 3 Big suitcases), showed the Taxi Driver the 30 UAH, he put it in his pocket and we were off to the George Hotel - Simple - Hasslefree!!
    On returning to the Train Station, the George called for taxis for us. Hans and I shared with Abbey. This time the cost was 25 UAH, but I still gave him 30 UAH - he was a nice man and he helped us with our big suitcases.

TRAM

by LoriPori Written Jun 18, 2010

We used the TRAM twice - to get to Lychakiv Cemetery and to return back to the Center. We all bought tickets at a kiosk and they cost 1 UAH (about .13 cents CDN) each. Matt suggested to buy return tickets, so we did. We took Tram #2. The first thing to do when getting on the Tram is to validate your tram ticket ( in the devices on the side of the Tram). It was really crowded on the Tram - packed like sardines.
    On our return from the Cemetery, we took Tram #7. The stop was right in front of the Cemetery entrance, but it seemed like forever waiting for it to come and it was raining.

Getting to the airport

by Dabs Updated Jun 8, 2010

We thought briefly about taking public transport to the airport but the desk clerk said it was a bit of a walk to get to any of the options, she said she preferred using the marshrutkas, the shared vans you see zipping around town, but having been crunched in a couple, I knew it would be difficult with luggage. There is also a tram which is a real bargain at 1hr but by the time we were leaving it was raining and a taxi just seemed more sensible.

The travel time by taxi wasn't very long, maybe 20 minutes, and the driver said it would be 40-50hr when we got in and charged us 50hr. In Your Pocket said the average fare was about 70hr so I think we did OK.

Instant Answers: Lviv

Comments

Lviv Transportation

Reviews and photos of Lviv transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lviv sightseeing.