Very long time ago it was a Carmelite monastery, monastery-fortress. There was famous miracle-working icon "Bozha Matir Terebovlyanska" ("the Blessed Virgin of Terebovlya"). In spring 1672 it saved citizens of Terebovlya from 300,000 Turkish troopers. A year later it was transported to Lviv by order of the Bishop of Lviv Josef Shumlyansky. Now this icon is placed in St. Jura Cathedral in Lviv.
This nice village is called Ostriv (island in English). It is situated beneath Sunny Meadow (1 -2 km from Terebovlya). Pidhora cloister is to the left :) but it is not visible here.
Many years ago Terebovlya was main city of the surrounding lands. So it needed to have a fortress to defend its citizens from plundering Tatar-Mongol raids. It was rebuilt for several times but in 17 century fortress was destoryed by Turks - and never restored.