The city newspaper is called “Kovel County District News”.
Before August 1991 it was called “Lenin’s Banner”.
You can buy it twice a week: on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It contains a lot of information on the city life, economy and social issues as well as articles on history (in Ukrainian).
The editor-in-chief is Mykola Velma who has held this post since 1986. The address is 2 Hrushevsky Street.
Tel. +38 03352 2 10 17.
The newspaper’s e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are some useful links
(all in Ukrainian):
City forum (in Ukrainian)
Interactive map of Kovel
Official site of the city of Kovel
The city is located 70 kilometers to the northeast of the region’s center Lutsk on both banks of the River Turia.
Kovel is known since 1310 as a part of Lithuania.
In the 16th century, when the Polish-Lithuanian Kingdom was formed, it became a Polish city. At the end of the 18th century, when the Polish Kingdom disintegrated, it became a city of the Russian Empire.
At present about 70,000 people live at the area of about 47 square kilometers in Kovel.
The city is known for its agricultural machinery enterprise and a flax-processing factory.
Kovel got municipal rights in 1518 as a Polish city.
In 1795 after Poland's defeat the Polish Kingdom was partitioned between the winners and ceased to exist. Kovel became a Russian city.
In 1921 it was occupied by Poland again and remained a Polish city until the Soviet troops entered it on September 17, 1939 according to Soviet-German non-aggression pact.
Fondest memory: The city’s coat-of-arms represents a horseshoe as a symbol of smith trade and a symbol of happiness. Three silver stars represent Volyn region.
The flag was adopted on September 16, 1993 by the city council.