Aberfoyle Travel Guide

The autumnally impressive Falls of Leny
    Mind the pokers please

Aberfoyle Things to Do

by iandsmith Updated Jan 19, 2010

Inside I was still simmering. Still somewhat distressed at the thought of missing the Loch Katrine cruise. Nevertheless I concentrated on driving north through the lochs. Along the narrow Scots roads that have a lovely character about them - except when you want to pull up. Then you may well curse the fact that there's nowhere to park. Ever.
    Well, almost never. I couldn't help but notice there was a river flitting through the gaps in the trees. Flashing me in a tempting manner with its white foam set amongst the yellow and red spectrum of colours of the autumn leaves.
    Then I espied a place to pull up. Such a rarity as one might apply to a sighting of the Loch Ness monster. I pulled up. Rosemarie's head was lolling around next to me, her withdrawn eyes indicating that she didn't really care what happened, all she wanted was to feel well again.
    I opened the door and the sound of turbulent waters descended on my ear ducts, reverberating into some sensory gland that is stimulated by the sound of moving water, be it surf or stream.
    On the other side of the stone wall it appeared there was a path. And a sign, albeit partly covered with a hessian bag. I took my camera over and exposed the sign. "Pathway" it said. To where, it did not indicate.
    I brushed past the hessian-covered sign and squelched my way through the leaf-littered avenue.
    Despite the by-now-familiar rain I was inspired by the roar of the rushing river and pressed on, eventually arriving at a concrete path that was mostly covered with fallen leaves indicating two things:- a. It was autumn; b. Not many people visited this place.
    The track came to an abrupt halt at the point where the falls could be clearly viewed. They had been barricaded by an iron fence, similar to that which marked what had once been a passage further on. In August 2004 torrential rain swept the area. causing landslides, closing roads and doing the usual untold damage.
    (continued)

The autumnally impressive Falls of Leny Scenic at any angle
    • Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park
    • Kayaking

by iandsmith Updated Jan 19, 2010

I had allowed Rosemarie more time than I should have to get ready. Allowing for her less-than-well condition after the Mushroom Festival the night before there was a struggle between getting ready and wanting to lie back down again.
    Thus it was by the time we were actually under way and I ignored a local's advice to go via Callendar and took the short route (correct decision).
    I harboured grave fears that the boat might be gone. The famous "Lady of the Lake" that is. Loch Katrine's (pronouned cat-rin) famous steamer that regularly plies the loch.
    I was right to be worried. As we pulled up in the carpark its whistle blew. Thus alerted I bolted from the vehicle and raced to the wharf just as the fore rope was cast off. Literally less than 10 seconds late. I was not happy.
    With camera in hand I blazed a few shots off before returning to the Renault. There was nothing to be said. We both knew what had occurred.
    That was the story of how I missed the cruise on Loch Katrine, a narrow loch about 10 miles north west of Aberfoyle.
    It happens to be the only way, other than bicycle or walk (for which I had not allowed time), to see the loch, as only locals are allows to transport vehicles from one end to the other.

The Captain's Inn at the carpark Spectacular eastern end The empty wharf
    • National/State Park
    • Cruise
    • Cycling

by iandsmith Written Feb 3, 2006

There's nothing supremely outstanding about Aberfoyle, architecturally speaking, but it does have one or two nice buildings and this bank (HSBC) is certainly one of them.
    This is actually on the intersection where the the road up to the scenic lookout begins.

You can bank on it

Main Street, Loch Lomond, Aberfoyle, FK8 3UX, United Kingdom

• Inchrie Castle Inn Hotel

Duchray Road, Aberfoyle, FK8 3XD, United Kingdom

Instant Answers: Aberfoyle

Comments

Aberfoyle Travel Guide
Map of Aberfoyle