In 1881 the Barracks became the headquarters for the 'Manchester Regiment' and recruits were trained there for the Second Boer War(1899-1802),the two World Wars and other conflicts around the Globe.The Barracks was originally built in 1845 and lasted until 1958.Today only the gate and surrounding walls remain as a housing development now stands were the Barracks once were.There are a number of plaques on the outside walls honouring those who fought in the Wars such as the 100 Canadian soldiers who joined and fought with the Manchester Regiment during World War Two.another plaque behind the gate commerates the date in 1988 when the Barracks were officially handed over to the Tameside Metropolitan Council.
Setantii museum is located within Ashton town hall downstairs from the Manchester Regiment museum.Exploring the history of Tameside from Celtic times to Present day with olden day figures,replica armour and even an Anderson air raid shelter complete with wartime sound effects.
The name 'Setantii'refers to a pre-Roman British tribe who apparently lived in western or southern littoral of Lancashire.
The museum is open Mon to Fri 10am to 4 pm and sat 10am to 1pm,closed sundays.
Portland basin is a delightful little museum. It is housed within the restored nineteenth century Ashton Canal Warehouse in Ashton-under-Lyne. The museum combines a lively modern interior with a peaceful canal side setting. It is an exciting family friendly museum, with some great exhibitions including a schoolroom and fish and chip shop of years gone by. There are some lovely canal barges on display outside the museum. Here you'll find some leaflets which give historic information about the vessels. There is a lovely little cafe here with some outside seating overlooking the canals. The best thing about this little museum is that admission is FREE!!
The Church of St Michael And All Angels is the Parish Church for Ashton under Lyne and although it is thought that there has been a church on this site since before the Norman Conquest the present building dates from the 15c but much of the structure has been reconstructed during Victorian times.
Built in a Perpendicular style with large windows St Michael's Church boasts some of the best examples of fifteenth century stained glass left in Britain. (There are eighteen panels illustrating the life of St. Helena)
Daisy Nook is the name of an area of the Medlock Valley between Oldham, Failsworth and Ashton under Lyne.
The River Medlock flows through a steep-sided valley between Oldham and Ashton under Lyne and further on, the area was originally called Waterhouses and only became known as Daisy Nook when local writer and poet Ben Brierley called it Daisy Nook in his book "A Day Out" after that the name caught on.
Daisy Nook began to be a destination for afternoons out during the Victorian period when families would take walks and picnic by the river or take boat rides on Crime Lake. It is still very popular to this day and every year at Easter visitors flock from miles around to the large annual Daisy Nook Fair.
The Canals which go through this area stopped being used in the 1920's but were not filled in and the 1970s the area was developed into a country park with the canals and basins being made into features.
Popular for short walks, fishing, Dog walking and horse riding there are many well sign posted paths and information boards.
Daisy Nook Garden Centre at the bottom of the valley is very popular and has a nice cafe were you can get something to eat or drink after buying all your garden needs.
There is a car park next to the visitors centre were there is also a small cafe and where you can obtain information about the area.
Updated Pictures 07/12/09
Setantii is a fabulous Museum exploring the history of Tameside from Celtic times to the present day. It is situated within the Victorian Town Hall of Ashton Under Lyne.
A walk through this museum will take you back to a time when there were early Battles with the Romans through to the industrial and cultural developments of today. You can also experience wartime Tameside and try out the Anderson Air raid shelter for size.
This lovely little Museum is totally FREE!
Open: Monday to Friday: 10am to 4pm
Saturday: 10am to 1pm
The Manchester Regiment Museum and Ladysmith Gallery are situated within Ashton Town Hall. A walk through the Museum will give you an insight into the raising of the Regiment in 1756 through to Regimental life today. The Museum's Ladysmith Gallery tells the story chronologically, covering major actions such as the American War of Independence, New-Zealand, the Crimea, South Africa, both World Wars and the Malayan Emergency. The Gallery also houses over 1800 medals which have been donated to the Museum over the years. The Forshaw Gallery covers themed aspects of our story including recreation, daily routine, the soldier as collector, regimental insignia, regimental dress - you can even try on the Regimental uniforms yourself.
I found it to be a really interesting Museum especially the array of Medals on display and best of all Admission is FREE!!
Mon - Sat 10am - 4pm.
The Earl of Stamford and Warrington sold the land to the Buckley family who owned the cotton mills at Ryecroft In 1849. James Smith Buckley passed the house on in 1885 to his nephew Abel Buckley and he lived there for 22 years.
Abel Buckley was a Liberal MP and the Mayor of Ashton.
In 1913 Austin Hopkinson, MP for Mossley and inventor of a coal cutting machine and owner of the famous Delta Engineering Works lived in the hall.
During the First World War it was used as a hospital with over 100 beds.
In 1922 Austin Hopkinson gave the house and grounds to the people of Audenshaw for council offices and to this day it is used for community purposes.
Located in Ashton town hall,tells the story of generations of Manchester Regiment soldiers through the years of service from 1756 to 1958.There are plenty of exibits on display including uniforms,weapons and medals,a life size model of trench warfare in world war one and various uniforms and hats for you to try on from various conflicts.All very interesting and informative.
The museum is in easy walking distance from both bus and railway stations and there is ample public parking in the town centre.
Open mon to sat 10am to 4pm,closed sun.Free admission.
Dominating the centre of Ashtons skyline is the Church of St.Michaels and All Angels which is the parish church for Ashton-Under-Lyne.The present building dates from the fifteenth century although most of the structure was re-constructed in Victorian times.
The church boasts some of the best examples of fifteenth century stained glass left in Britain.The tower is 145 ft.high and has a peel of thirteen bells.
The Barracks was originally built to house cavalry regiments in times of Civil unrest.
The barracks were the headquarters and depot of the Manchester regiment from 1881 it was given The title of Ladysmith Barracks to commemorate the siege of Ladysmith in 1899/1900 during the Boar war when two soldiers of the Manchesters were awarded the Victoria Cross.
it was here that every young recruit would receive his training before joining one of the regular Army Battalions and so it was from here that soldiers went to serve in Aden, Afghanistan, Austria, Bermuda, Cyprus, France. Egypt. Gallipoli, Germany, Gibraltar, Holland, Iceland. India, Iraq, Ireland, Jamaica, Malaya, Malta, North Africa, Palestine, Singapore, South Africa and the Sudan
The Barracks closed in 1960 following the merging in 1958 of the Manchester Regiment with the Kings Liverpool Regiment forming the New King's Regiment.
Now only the Wall and Gateway remain, the interior is a new housing estate.
There has been a market in Ashton for over 700 years. A royal charter to hold a market in Ashton was granted in 1284. For the next 500 years, Ashton market was the focus of the area for miles around. During that time, the area was rural with most people earning their living from the land.
The original market was held in the square around the old market cross (now St Michael's Square at the bottom of Old Cross Street).
As industries developed in Ashton during the nineteenth century, the market expanded to serve the growing population. The present Market Hall was started in 1829 and was extended several times to its present size. In May 2004, the historic Market Hall was destroyed by fire and a temporary "Phoenix Market Hall" was opened until the Historic market hall was restored opening in Early 2009
The indoor and outdoor markets are a popular feature of the town for both residents and visitors.
The Market Hall is open 9.00 am to 5.30 pm daily except Sundays. The normal outdoor market is held daily except Tuesdays and Sundays.
On Tuesdays a Flea Market is held and on Sundays a Table Top sale is held. On the last Sunday of each month a Farmers' and Producers' Market is held.
The Town Hall in Ashton under Lyne is the home of 2 small museum's one of which is dedicated to the Manchester Regiment which was associated with the town of Ashton Under Lyne for many years.
The Museum does a fantastic job of illustrating the history of the 63rd and 96th Foot Regiments that merged to become the Manchester Regiment in 1881
Known as the "Manchesters." The regiment was based at the Ladysmith Barracks on Mossley Road in Ashton until 1958 when it was merged with the King's Regiment.
The Museum has a collection of military medals and awards, including five Victoria Crosses.
There are many artefacts on display from campaigns all around the world
The Museum includes a mock-up of a battlefield trench to give an impression of the sights and sounds experienced by the regiment's soldiers.
There is a display of old hats and uniforms that you can try on
Admission is free.
The Museum of the Manchesters is open from 10.00 am to 4.00 pm Mondays to Saturdays. Closed on Sundays.
There is a new attraction inside the Town Hall of Ashton under Lyne, in addition to the Museum of the Manchester Regiment.
The name Setantii comes from the name of an ancient British tribe who lived in the area up to the time of the Roman conquest.
The exhibitions feature aspects of life in the area from Celtic times and the effects of the Roman, Viking and Norman invasions. A medieval market is depicted, along with life in Tudor times and the Civil War. Other displays show the development of industry and transport, Victorian and Twentieth Century Tameside plus a feature on "The People who Made Tameside".
It is an excellent exhibition with some great information and very helpful staff
Admission is free.
Setantii is open from 10.00 am to 4.00 pm Mondays to Fridays, 10.00 am to 1.00 pm Saturdays. Closed on Sundays.
Hartshead pike serves as a focal point in the Oldham and Ashton landscape, Many people will go for a walk up to the pike or just drive up and sit and look at the view, The pike is visible from miles around with unbroken views across 4 counties and has been a beacon hill through antiquity.
Before the Romans the local tribes lit fires here to celebrate the cycle of the seasons, there were many ancient sites close by, including a stone circle at Buckton Castle, once visible from the pike it is now sadly lost. It is highly probable that the druids worshipped at Hartshead Pike during the Iron Age, and sacrifices may have been held to appease their gods.
During the Roman occupation the area took on a more mundane role and became a beacon site, the trackways became routes for the Romans to navigate quickly between the fort at Buckton, and the Roman road at Limeside. The beacon may have been lit in times of unrest to warn the local garrisons.
After the departure of the Romans much of Oldham was inhabited by the Anglo Saxons. There has been some suggestion that the pike was the site where they held their mote (moot) - to appoint leaders and to create law, and the name Hartshead may come from their habit of marking a meeting place with the skull of a wild animal (although this is pure speculation).
The tower on Hartshead Pike is a well-known local landmark. It overlooks Oldham and Ashton being visible from many surrounding areas. It is a popular destination for afternoon strolls and when i was young the tower housed a refreshment shop. Visitors could pay a small charge to climb stairs to enjoy the view from windows high up in the building. The inside of the tower was vandalised around a hundred years ago, showing that this is not a purely modern problem.
Although the name "Hartshead Pike" is generally used to mean the tower, it was originally the name of the hill itself. The pike is not the highest part of the hill, but, at 940 feet above sea level, its prominent position has meant that, from early times, it has been the site of a beacon or signalling station.
The earliest structure on this spot may have been a stone pillar, erected to commemorate the passing through the area of King Canute, who is also remembered in the names of Knott Hill and Knott Lanes.
A tower had been built on the hill by the eighteenth century as it was re-built in 1751 by a public subscription. However, it was badly damaged by lightning and a hundred years later, all that remained was a ring of stone.
The present tower was built in 1863 by John Eaton, a little south of the earlier structure, to mark the wedding of the Prince of Wales to Princess Alexandra of Denmark. The land on which the tower stands was given to the town by Lord Stamford, who also gave the stone for the tower's construction.
A "time capsule" was buried in a space below the foundation stone. This was a sealed bottle containing local newspapers, Victorian coins, poetry and documents.
The pike is still a popular destination for walkers who come to enjoy the wide ranging views, which include the Pennine moors to the east, North Wales to the west and north towards Pendle Hill