Castleford Travel Guide

Castleford Bridge
    Castleford Bridge

Castleford Things to Do

by spidermiss Updated Feb 26, 2014

As a child my parents used to take me to Fairburn Ings where we would feed the birds. I recently had an opportunity to make a return visit one January afternoon.

I spent most of the time admiring the variety of birds including the ducks and the swans in the main bays. There are a number of trails at Fairburn Ings which offers the opportunity to enjoy the surrounding nature and wildlife.

There is a Visitors Centre which includes a shop, that also sells refreshments and there's a relaxing/seating area. There's are opportunity to become a member which my Dad applied for on my visit.

Please note it's very difficult to reach the nature reserve without your own transport (I travelled with my Dad in his car) though it's possible to walk to the nature reserve from Castleford.

Fairburn Ings, Castleford, West Yorkshire Fairburn Ings, Castleford, West Yorkshire Fairburn Ings Visitors Centre, Castleford Fairburn Ings, Castleford, West Yorkshire Fairburn Ings, Castleford, West Yorkshire
    • Birdwatching
    • Eco-Tourism

by spidermiss Updated Mar 4, 2013

After meeting up with my friends for lunch at Xscape I took the opportunity to pay a visit to the outlet and see if I could get any bargains for some items which I was in real need of. The shopping visit turned out a success as I was able to buy what I had to buy for heavy discounted prices and saving a considerable amount of money! I would consider returning there should I need to do some urgent shopping (I'm not a shopping fan and only shop if I need to).

There are a number of high street outlets such as M&S, Next, Bedeck and The Works that sell discounted good as much as 60% off. As well as the outlets there are also cafes such as Starbucks and B&B Coffee and Muffins and also a children's playground.

The outlets are opened from 10.00am till 8.00pm weekdays; till 6.00pm on Saturdays; and 11.00am till 5.00pm on Sundays.

Junction 32 Shopping Outlet, Glasshoughton Junction 32 Shopping Outlet, Glasshoughton Junction 32 Shopping Outlet, Glasshoughton Junction 32 Shopping Outlet, Glasshoughton Junction 32 Shopping Outlet, Glasshoughton

by spidermiss Updated Mar 4, 2013

I made my first visit to Xscape, an entertainment complex, when I arranged to meet up with friends. We had planned to have a meal at one of the restaurants, Freddie and Benny's, at the complex. I also had a coffee from Starbucks before meeting up with Alison and Lauren.

Xscape has a 10 Pin Bowling Alley, a climbing wall, amusement centres, indoor skateboard park, indoor snow slope (SnoZone), indoor children playgrounds, cinema, laser quest, 'glow in the dark' indoor golf, aerial assault course, health and fitness club with spa and indoor surfing.

There are a variety of restaurants, cafes and bars to choose from and also a number of sport specialist/designer shops.

Xscape, Glasshoughton, Castleford Inside Xscape, Glasshoughton, Castleford Inside Xscape, Glasshoughton, Castleford Inside Xscape, Glasshoughton, Castleford Glasshoughton Bus/Train Interchange
    • Skiing and Boarding

Castleford Hotels

• Premier Inn Castleford (M62, J32)

Colorado Way, Castleford, West Yorkshire, WF10 4TA, United Kingdom

Satisfaction: Poor

Good for: Solo

Castleford Restaurants

by spidermiss Updated Mar 4, 2013

Frankie & Benny's is a UK chain restaurant with a 1950s Italian-American migrants' story. The restaurant is decorated with memorabilia of Italian heritage Americans, celebrities and advertisements of the period and with it's dark wood and dim lighting.

This is the second time I've visited a Frankie & Benny's restaurant and there is always a wide range of American/Italian dishes to choose from and I just love their sundaes.

My friend had a local rugby discount card which entitled her to a discount off our total bill so it only worked out 15 gbp (including tips) each for our meals (March 2013). We stopped longer after our meal to have a hot drink.

It's a lively restaurant especially with the birthday celebrations! I would return again there for another meal in the future.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the plain chicken breast sandwich (with mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato and spicy onion rings) which was served with house fries. I thoroughly enjoyed the sandwich.

For dessert I ordered the Cookies and Cream Explosion Sundae (contains brownie and cream ice cream with cookie pieces with honeycomb and red berry, whipped cream topping).

I just had a diet coke to accompany my meal.

Frankie & Benny's at Xscape, Castleford Me with friends at Frankie & Benny's My main dish: Chicken Breast Sandwich My dessert: Cookies and Cream Explosion Sundae

Castleford Shopping

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

by Britannia2 Updated Jun 1, 2006

Over 85 outlets form this shopping village on the outskirts of Castleford. This is an outlet centre where the shops sell discontinued lines or lines shortly going out of production and there are bargains to be had here especially in clothing with up to 60% reductions in many shops everyday.
    There are shops for everyone including Virgin, Moss Bros, Antler and Edinburgh Woolen Mill amongst others.
    The centre is undergoing a makeover at the time of writing ( May 2006). It did have a poor image once you were in and was rather run down but the improvements are well thought out and although it has not got the landscaping found at other outlets it is clean and tidy but very functional. Catering is also not as good as at other outlets but the main outlets such as Pizza Hut and McDonalds are here.

What to buy: Remember everything is new but possibly a discontinued line in city centre stores and this is why the discounts are so good. In some cases the lines are over bought lines from stores elsewhere that have not sold well and they have been brought here to try and sell at a reduced price.

What to pay: Up to 60% reductions on many lines everyday.

Priestly Square, J32 Inside J32

Instant Answers: Castleford

Comments

Castleford Travel Guide
Map of Castleford