Croyde Things to Do

The Cinema ;)
  • Serious Surfers and Equally Serious Beach Loungers
    Serious Surfers and Equally Serious...
  • The RLNI Lifeguard
    The RLNI Lifeguard "Command Post"

Most Recent Things to Do in Croyde

Go Fly A Kite!

And Shows Off The Greeness Too

As with any exposed coastal area (Croyde faces out onto the Atlantic) you can pretty much rely on at least sea breezes and so kite flying is another popular "thing to do". I was quite impressed with this one, especailly as it added a splash of colour to the greyness of the day!

• Photography
    • Beaches

Go To The Beach!

Serious Surfers and Equally Serious Beach Loungers

Even on a grey Monday with threatening rain showers this is still a popular summer beach for families and surfers alike (well, I know the surfers aren't going to worry about a bit of rain).

Croyde is a totally uncommercialised beach with immaculate clean, fine, golden sand. The Royal National Lifeboat Institute provides lifeguard cover from 10 in the morning until the early-evening and only surfers and bathers are allowed to use the bay.

The patrolled swimming section is marked by yellow and red flags and the surfing area marked by black and white chequered flags.

The beach is flanked by a rocky foreshore on which the receding tide leaves a multitude of accessible rock pools for us inquisitive types and the sandy dunes behind the bay are part of the Southwest Coastal Path leading in both directions to some great walks.

All-in-all, a beach with something for everyone!

• Photography
    • Beaches

Croyde's Deckchair Cinema

Coming Soon!!

I haven't been to this but it certainly looks like a bit of fun!

On Sunday evenings during the peak summer months the local village hall plays host to the Deckchair Cinema. The films usually have a surfing theme and are screened in front of a deckchair auditorium - with the option of the "love deckchairs" - made for two!

The normal price for the evening is three Pounds fifty which includes free popcorn and the hall has a licensed bar.

Website has all the details:

• Beer Tasting

• sunshinejo's Profile Photo

Go Surfing!

by sunshinejo Written Aug 9, 2005

I've given surfing a try a couple of times in the past, and had neither had much success at it or enjoyed it much. So, needless to say, I was a bit dubious my friends told me they'd signed me up for a lesson during our trip to Croyde. However, once I was in the water, I had so much fun, I couldn't believe I'd hated it so much the previous times. Maybe, it had something to do with the fact that I had a proper instructor this time to guide me. We went with a company called Surf Southwest, who are based right by the beach in Croyde. The lesson cost us £30 each for 2 hours including equiment hire, and the instructor was fantastic, he really knew how to explain what we were supposed to be doing. Once we were in the water, he kept a close eye on how we were getting on, advised us on what we were doing wrong and encouraged us when we got it right - or at least nearly right! I had such a good time, I can't wait to get back in the water and give it another go! The only downside, was that as it was a Saturday afternoon, the water was jam packed, which meant you had to be careful not to kknock somebody out or get knocked out yourself! However, the water was quieter in the mornings and evenings, and is probably not so busy during the week. Definitly worth having a go at it at least once! Even if you're rubbish like me it's still fun!

Instant Answers: Croyde

Comments

Croyde Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Croyde things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Croyde sightseeing.