Devizes Restaurants

Entrance to the Quarryman's
    Sunset Across the Valley Avon
    Sunset Through a Glass Darkly

Most Recent Restaurants in Devizes

• Bambou: My advice is forget it !

by barnesparty Updated Jan 30, 2012

We did not get the chance to review the food as our party of six got up and left. After sitting at our table for half an hour without a menu my partner got up to get some. Then the owner who came to take our order was asked if the phone would ring constant all evening and he said yes until he had the time to answer it . This was said with major attitude and was shouted across the resturant. On challenging the owner he did not apoligise for his rudeness so we who eat out alot in Devizes will not be returning.

• birchy99's Profile Photo

The Quarryman's Arms: WHO SAYS THE BRITS CAN'T COOK???

by birchy99 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Quarryman's Arms

Enough with the snide comments about chips and peas and mash, of which I'm a wee bit guilty of pervaying. We found this pub, restaurant, B&B a few miles outside Devizes toward Bath just off the A4. One couldn't imagine such a nice establishment would be at the end of the road after veering off the A4 and up a one lane gravel path to the top of Quarry Hill. Parking is tight at least on the downhill side. We arrived at sunset with reservation in hand and were promptly seated. And we partook of a most delightful meal that could have been served in any swank restaurant in any big city.
    The Quarryman is also a pub and B&B. It dates back as a public house to at least 1850. And it was a welcome respite on the Bath to London Road, no doubt.
    The view out to the north across the Valley Avon is truly spectacular especially at sunset, which we managed to enjoy.
    The restaurant is a busy place so be sure to make reservations.

Favorite Dish: The Quarryman has an extensive eclectic menu plus many daily specials which are posted on the chalkboard. Unfortunately, I failed to record our menu selections but we were all impressed with the offerings and the quality of the preparation and presentation. The staff, although very busy, was efficent and friendly.
    For a small sample of the menu offerings go to the website listed below.

• andrewyong's Profile Photo

Black Swan Hotel: Sunday Roast

by andrewyong Written Mar 26, 2006

The Black Swan is a small hotel with the pub and restaurant occupying the majority of the building. It fronts the town square so its quite prominent, you will not miss it.

Favorite Dish: Perenially English is the Sunday Roast (beef, lamb or pork) and after visiting Stonhenge, we drove to Devizes for lunch. What better to fill you up that a Sunday Roast in a traditional English pub. Wash it down with locally brewed cask ales, of which the Black Swan has a few award winning ones. I had the Bishop's Tipple.

• birchy99's Profile Photo

The Bear: An Old Inn

by birchy99 Updated Feb 18, 2006

Look For the Bear Sign

Across the square one can't help but notice the huge sign of the bear on a large building. This is "The Bear" Inn and restaurant. I don't think it qualifies as a pub. It has been established as an Inn since 1599. On my way to the loo I encountered a gent who waylayed me and pointed out a wall hanging that depicted the establishment in the early years. Much had changed but it became obvious that I was standing in what was then the main carriage entrance long ago.
    We stopped here for lunch and had a chance to look around. Beside the lunch area is a bar and more formal dining area. Posters hung about proclaimed live music on some nights, which I suppose was a move to keep the modern generation coming in.

Favorite Dish: Can't really remember what we had to eat, but it was standard at least and the service was acceptable. This is a quite good place to stop for lunch or dinner when in the area.

• Architecture
    • Museum Visits

Instant Answers: Devizes

Comments

Devizes Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Devizes restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Devizes sightseeing.