Dummer Travel Guide

Snow in my back garden
    by TygerLyn
    One of our many thatched houes
    Snow at the Lych gate, Church

Dummer Restaurants

by TygerLyn Updated Oct 25, 2011

Excellent food and ambience. The food ranges from bar food to haute cuisine. They are open to suggestions. I dislike salmon being smothered in sauce so they bring me a dish of freshly made French Dressing. Pepper and Salt come in mills not out of paper sachets.

Prices are competitive. Another establoishment not far away charges more and most of the food is hiding under a lettuce leaf. Not in the Queen Inn. Good portions and I have recently taken a party of colleagues there and they are have really enjoyed the food. Most of us had Sea Bass and it was cooked to perfection.

Pauline and Richard are excellent hosts and all the staff are friendly and efficient.

It's downfall is that it is very very busy. OKay for me as I can walk to it but a nightmare for parking.

Favorite Dish: The poached Salmon. Excellent and locally sourced. The mussels are also tip top. The rack of lamb is truly scrumptious.

I am now adding to that the Boar, it is really mouthwatering.

Dummer Nightlife

by TygerLyn Updated Sep 16, 2008

The nightlife in Dummer consists of Harvest Suppers, the odd pantomime, the occasional cinema evening, bingo night, quiz night , themed and fundraising concerts etc. We like it that way.

Dress Code: Harevst suppers - men in tutus, ladies in police uniform, kids dressed as rockers! Otherwise what you wore earlier that day is the norm.

Dummer Local Customs

by TygerLyn Written Mar 9, 2007

The Dummer Mummers were a traditional acting and music group that would perform at places like outside the Foundry or The Queen Inn. Old photogrpahs show that they wore "rag strips" as costumes with various head gear (the Doctor wore a stove pipe, Saint or King George a crown etc). The last Dummer Mummer was Frank Bond who lived in kempshitt House when it was flats. This was demolished in 1974 after the M3 was built and to make room for the first of Basingstokes Industrial Estates. Frank had already moved to North Waltham where he tried to reform a group of Mummers although there was no longer the interest in it. Bob Copper produced a song which included Frank Bond and the Dummer Mummers and was called the Dummer Sheep Shearers. This was used at Mumming Plays.

I rewrote a Mumming Play last year and included some references to Dummer. Once I have managed to acquire the music for the song I will produce the play, hopefully at Christmas this year.

Dummer Off The Beaten Path

by TygerLyn Written Feb 19, 2007

On December 30th 2006 a tornado ripped through the village uprooting trees and completely shearing the tops from many ancient beeches (those that were not blown down in the great storm of 1986). Dummer Down Lane, leading from Seven Sisters to Dummer Down House was the most dramatically affected. Photos are a bit dark but I have done my best to show what happened.

Uprooted tree, Dummer Down Lane 30/1206 Uprooted tree, Dummer Down Lane Tree sheared within a metre of its base.
    • Hiking and Walking

by TygerLyn Written Feb 19, 2007

Yes, I know I am lucky to live in such a beautiful place. These pics were taken with the same ancient Pentax (it will go with me to my grave!) and were taken when we had a sudden sharp frost a few days before Christmas 2006.

Hoar frost on hedge December 22nd 2006 Combination of fog &frost created this 22/12/06

by TygerLyn Updated Feb 19, 2007

As we do not have street lights (thank god) the sunsets and night skies in the village are really fantastic. Just look at the pics - I don't have enough space to put on every photo that I have taken, it runs into several hundreds!

No, it's not an UFO!  It is just setting sun! October 2006. Isn't it fantastic? November 2006, just gets better! Nov 06, taken with a 20 yr old Pentax, no flash Oct 06,  every day the sunset is different.

Instant Answers: Dummer

Comments

Dummer Travel Guide
Map of Dummer