Bristol Restaurants

Caffe Gusto, Bristol
    by spidermiss
    My coffee and courgette cake!
    Mackenzies Cafe Bar, Bristol

Most Recent Restaurants in Bristol

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo

Rocco's: Pizza made by Italians!

by TheLongTone Updated Jun 15, 2011

Rocco's is a small family run resataurant. Nothing fancy but all good solid home cooking, served by friendly staff. Nothing over the top: they just genuinely want you to enjoy your dinner. I've only ever sat down and ate there a couple of times, more generally i'm in there because the do by far the best take-away pizzas in the area (and there are a lot of pizza places within an olive-stone's throw: the fact taht they do a good trade in takeaways even though theirs are a couple of pounds more than most of the competition attests to their quality)
    Another witness to their quality is the fact that they are usually pretty busy. There are only a dozen tables, so booking cn be advisable at the weekend.

Favorite Dish: I'm not a one for pasta in creamy sauces, but otherwise I'd be prepared to eat my way though the menu. Just don't ask for a filled-crust turkey, jalapeno pepper and whatever pizza. They are Italians, and would regard such things as mad.

Zero Degrees: Micro Brewery

by northeast80 Updated Apr 11, 2011

Most recent visit April 2011.
    Not just a restaurant but a bar too.
    Zero Degrees has the building purpose built for them, I used to visit Bristol before I lived here and remember it opening and being very excited. A micro-brewery, in Bristol, how novel.

It's in an excellent location; at the top of Christmas Steps, if you sit upstairs in the restaurant area you get a good view of the passers-by and if you sit on the balcony you get a great view of Colston St looking down Christmas Steps, to the Alms Houses and the hills peeking through the buildings.

Being a micro-brewery all the brewing equipment is insde and open to view so expect polished concrete, dark wood and Ron Arad chairs.

Favorite Dish: The beer of course;
    Pilsner
    Pale Ale
    Black Lager
    Wheat Ale
    Seasonal (mostly tends to be mango beer the times I've been in)
    Pints are £2.90, Seasonal are £3.

I supose I should mention the food now.....I've eaten a few times and have had either pizza or muscles. Friend's have been disapointed (food with chili has not tasted spicy at all) but I've always enjoyed mine. Muscles come with a wedge of lemon and a bowl of french fries with mayo, they're served in a nice cooking pot where the lid can be used to put all the shells in. I've had Thermidore and Mariniere, but tried my friend's Thai Green Curry one and it was overly salted, the same night I had Thermidore which wasn't salty. They cost £13.95.
    When I went most recently the coffee came when everyone had finished their dessert which wasn't very good, I didn't leave a tip as we had a different waiter for all courses.

Open Mon - Sat : 12.00-24.00 | Sun – 12.00-23.00.

• Beer Tasting

Indian Restaurant: Raj Pavilions

by northeast80 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I've eaten here at least 3 times in the past 3 months and do enjoy it. We generally start with poppadoms and dips and Kingfisher beer.
    They bring out hot plates shortly before your food arrives on a trolley, we usually share rice and dip into eachother's main course and sides.
    The last time I went we split the bill meaning £16 each, this included poppadoms, dips, 2 pints, 1/2 rice and a main each.
    They bring out hot towels and a chocolate at the end of a meal too. Service is attentive and we've not had to wait too long for food, though we do go on a Sunday evening when there's usually maybe only 2 other groups in the restaurant.
    It is a small place, with no disabled access; the entrance is very tight with two doors to get through and the WCs are down some stairs. Music is generally 'Indian' style covers of well known Western modern songs.
    There is a take-away next door owned by the same people which I have not tried.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish was a prawn one, not very useful I know as I can't remember the name of it!
    Seasoning does tend to vary, I've been one week and had a mild curry, a friend has ordered the same dish the following visit and it's been much hotter.
    The waiters are more than happy to explain dishes, as their menu does just give the title and spicyness, and / or modify the spicyness of a dish for you.

• juzz's Profile Photo

Takala: Hard to find but worthwhile

by juzz Updated Apr 4, 2011

The place is quite simple and modern. It has a karaoke room downstairs but we stayed on the restaurant ground floor. The food was really good and not expensive. For 2 soups and 2 main dishes (noodles) with 2 bottles of beer we paid £21.80 which is really ok for this value. I'm not sure but I think that this place offers also food for take away. Anyway it does not look like a typical take away bar and it's worth eating in.

Favorite Dish: Singapore noodle - I don't remember what was inside but I enjoyed the dish.

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

Oppo's: Fusion of Music and Food

by aaaarrgh Updated Apr 4, 2011

multicoloured fusion

This place is a cool, friendly coffee lounge and live music venue as well as somewhere to eat. By the magic of Bristol's topography you enter at ground level but drink your coffee on the first floor overlooking Park Street, without climbing any stairs!

Oppo was created in 2002 by two local men and is clearly a labour of love. As well as a large relaxing lounge with an array of big leather chairs it has garden and a small stage for live music events. Live music is often played at the weekend and, when I visited at night, admission was free.

Oppo has a selection of pleasant reasonably priced meals available, from breakfasts, to panini's to curries. And of course the usual coffees and teas. Bristol University Tea Society meets here! They also have some games and stuff for children.

All in all a lovely secret place to refresh yourself in a picturesque part of the city centre.

• Music

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Avon Gorge Hotel: Views!

by sue_stone Updated Apr 4, 2011

Dinner at the Avon Gorge Hotel

The Avon Gorge Hotel offers accommodation in the picturesque suburb of Clifton.

Though the main drawcard of the Hotel is the large terrace which forms part of the Bar/Restaurant, and has spectacular views of the Avon Gorge and the Suspension Bridge.

It is a fabulous site - worth a look even if you don't end up eating here. We had dinner here one night, and braved the cold (summer!) night to dine alfresco and watch the sun set.

Favorite Dish: The food wasn't very good.....I had a tuna dish that had no flavour, and an average sticky toffee pudding. The wine was ok

Prices were not too bad considering the location.

• Medology: Mediterranean Food

by pel Updated Apr 4, 2011

It's sort of a eat what you can restaurant where you pay a fix price and drink and eat what you want.

It's mainly starter dishes but they are all fantastic!

It's a (in)famous place among students!

Do book if don't want to be left out...

Favorite Dish: Drink "Sangria" and just keep eating what comes to the table.
    It's a no choice restaurant but you don't really need to. Wrong, you do have a choice, whether to repeat a dish it or not ;)

Mezze at The Green Dragon: Mediterranean medley

by northeast80 Written Mar 24, 2011

Just some of the metze dishes

I have been here twice now; the first visit in Dec 2010, the second visit March 2011.
    For Christmas we had a 3 course set meal; I had a duck, tangerine & rocket salad, monkfish in a butterbean and curry sauce, and sticky toffee pudding and was so full afterwards I almost burst!
    Open for food from 11am - 10pm. Brunch stops being served from 5pm.

In March we went for a colleague's leaving do and had the Mezze which cost £3.95 a dish or x3 dishes for £10. We ordered the below and still ended up taking x2 take away containers home for the next day! We also shared a bottle of houes white (Chillean sauvignon blanc which was delicious)

The restaurant is bright and airy and the waiters very nice and all seem to be Mediterranean which helps with the ambiance. It has wooden floors, pretty wallpaper and comfy seats, some benches and some upholstered dining seats.

The room upstairs is available for free private hire, we had our Christmas meal up here, they have flat screen TVs showing a fire!

Favorite Dish: Between 7 of us we paid £12.50 each (we paid for the 8th person between us) so.....the 8 of us had;
    x2 Hummous (in a large bowl with olive on top)
    x2 Rickinta (seasoned rice)
    x2 Nachos (in a large bowl with guacamole, jalapenos, cheese and sour cream)
    x3 Patatas Bravas (not spicy, I didn't think)
    x2 Calmari (delicious)
    x2 Prawn tava (in a butter, lemon, garlic sauce) (another of my favourites)
    x3 Duck borek (could have done with a bit more hoi sin sauce)
    x3 Lamb kofta (large and tasty)
    x3 Chicken souvlaki (not much seasoning)
    x3 Chorizo con rioja (rather fragrant, in a surprising / odd way)
    x3 BBQ chicken (needed more sauce)

Old India Restaurant: In an old stock exchange

by northeast80 Written Mar 21, 2011

I've mainly written this tip due to the beautiful building that the restaurant is inside; a grade II listed building that used to be a stock exchange. I can't find much more information on the building which is a shame but there is a description of it outside the restaurant, I'll get a photo the next time I pass.
    I visited quite a few years ago (2006-ish) and remember it being very busy, the padded wicker chairs, spectacular interior and the food being rather expensive.
    Looking at their menu now main courses alone are between £9 - £14

Favorite Dish: They do a take away service too.

• Architecture

The Ganges: The Ganges

by northeast80 Updated Mar 21, 2011

Visited 2011
    As usual we visit on a Sunday evening when it's pretty quiet but we do book if there are more than 6 of us. We start with poppadoms and dips for all and Cobra / Kingfisher beer. We have shared some standard house red wine before too, £14.45 a bottle.
    Hot plates come out then the mains, you get a hot towel and mint at the end of the meal . Waiters are attentive too and are helpful if you don't quite know what to choose.

Open from;
    Sunday to Thursday: 12 noon – 2.30 pm & 6.00pm – 11.30pm
    Friday - Saturday:12 noon – 2.30pm & 6.00pm – 12.00pm
    Not accessible for the disabled due to WCs being up a flight of stairs.

The interior is very pretty with scalloped frames to alcoves, glass shades and candles. There seems to be a larger room upstairs which I presume must be available for hire.

Favorite Dish: When the menu says the dish is hot it is hot! The benefit being of one dish I had (chilli garlic lamb £7.95) came with whole chillies so you could eat as many of them as you can handle.
    They offer set menus too if you can't decide, but then if there are a few of you you can always order from the menu and share. The menu does have a lot of choise and the dishes are well described.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Vincenzo's.: Friendly Italian with good food.

by planxty Updated Mar 18, 2011

Vincenzo's restaurant, Bristol, UK.

I stumbled upon this place quite late on a winter's weekday evening and it was, I suppose understandably, empty. This is a shame as I had an excellent meal here although I was subsequently told it gets quite busy at the weekends. The outside is quite unprepossessing but it gets much better inside.

The welcome from the young lady behind the counter was very friendly and a menu and bottle of the rather pleasant house wine were produced in rapid order. I opted for the sardines to start and a pizza for the main course (both pictured) and they were both extremely toothsome. As you can see from the interior photograph, it is a sort of a time warp and looks like an Italian restaurant you owuld see in a 1970's film, with the walls covered in postcards, Chianti bottles hanging from the roof and so on, but I thought this gave the place a certain charm.

Despite being the sole customer, I was not rushed at all although I did decline coffee so they could get closed up. Before I went thought, I couldn't resist the urge to get my photograph taken with the chef.

I like to include advice for disabled travellers and there is quite tight one-step access through a 90 degree door here (see photo). Additionally, there is no disabled toilet.

I don't know why anyone would bother going to a chain pizza / pasta place in Bristol when Vincenzo's is here, and it is certainly not expensive.

Highly recommended.

Favorite Dish: The sardines and pizza were both excellent.

• Wine Tasting

Turmeric - Indian Restaurant

by northeast80 Updated Jun 25, 2010

Visited on 23rd June 2010, 6 of us in the group.

We went on a lovely Summer's evening and even though it's on a main road we didn't notice it, the windows were open letting a breeze in.
    We were greeted by the waiter, seated, our napkins were unfolded for us and we were given the menu. A short while later the waiter returned for our drink order, we also ordered poppadoms with dips and a jug of tap water.
    He came back after we'd decided to take the main meal orders and to refresh our drinks. We didn't have to wait too long for our mains to arrive, first of all hot metal trays were put on the table and all the food brought out.
    Portions were more than enough, we couldn't finish and between the 6 of us we filled two tin trays to take home (the waiter really wanted to fill them for us).
    My dish on the menu said failry hot but to me it wan't that hot, my friends through it was. It depends what you're used to. We tried everyone's dishes and they were all lovely, really good, deep flavours. We were all too full for desert, though the desert menu did look a bit generic.
    I would definitely go back.
    We divided the bill and we paid £16.50 each which included a well deserved 10% tip.
    We were even given complementary orange chocolates and a shot of Baileys!
    Turmeric hasn't been open that long (since February), we were there for 17.45 and in half an hour it was quite full. It was decorated for the World Cup with England flags.

Favorite Dish: Mine was lovely, a lamb medium hot curry with butter beans in a tomato based sauce with corriander. A mango curry with coconut milk was delicious too.

• leafmcgowan's Profile Photo

Pumpkin: Pumpkin Cafe

by leafmcgowan Written Jun 22, 2010

One of Britain's railway cafe's that has become quite infamous, the Pumpkin Cafe's serve most of traveller's snack and quick meal needs before and after their travel. Notorious for their pastries, chocolates, coffees, and teas that you can come to find at every Pumpkin Cafe - the prices are reasonable and service excellent. It is also a great place to get magazines to read for your journey as well as tables/chairs to sit down while awaiting your trip. For the laptop user, plugs are sometimes available though sparse. Rating: 3 stars out of 5.

• leafmcgowan's Profile Photo

Red Mullet: Red Mullet

by leafmcgowan Written Jun 14, 2010

In search of Fish and Chips, I was led to this fast house by a local pub that had just closed down its grill. Being from Colorado it was pretty essential that my first day in Britain this year would be embraced by a meal of fish n' chips. The Red Mullet is not just a Fish n' Chips house, but a quick grill for a variety of dishes including Thai and Indian. Its a family run diner that is cheap and affordable with quality food. The fish and chips were very good and friendly service as well. Wanting to cater to more the dining crowd rather than the bar crowd, they recently went through refurbishment to make it a more diner experience than a fast grill. Rating: 4 stars out of 5.

• grayfo's Profile Photo

Wessex Flyer: Steak at the Table Table

by grayfo Written Apr 14, 2010

Family restaurant/pub that is part of the Table Table chain and attached to the Premier Inn. The restaurant is divided into several distinct areas, including family and adult dining areas, and a lounge bar for drinkers. Stone and carpeted floors throughout, with comfortable seating and a rustic feel.

Monday to Sunday: 12:00 noon to 10:00 pm

February 2010

Favorite Dish: 8oz 28 Day Matured Sirloin Steak, Roasted Cherry Tomatoes, Flat Mushroom and Chunky Chips - £12.50

Extra Feast: Garlic & Herb Breaded Mushrooms, Battered Onion Rings and Garlic Bread - £2.99

Carling Shandy - £2.87

Instant Answers: Bristol

Comments

Bristol Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bristol restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bristol sightseeing.