Bristol Sports & Outdoors

• My friend took this photo of Clevedon slipway
    My friend took this photo of Clevedon...
  • My friend took this photo of Clevedon pier
    My friend took this photo of Clevedon...
    Taping to drain swelling

Best Rated Sports & Outdoors in Bristol

• grayfo's Profile Photo

Bristol Rovers

by grayfo Written May 4, 2010

Bristol Rovers were founded in 1883 as the Black Arabs F.C. before becoming the Eastville Rovers and Bristol Eastville Rovers until finally changing its name to Bristol Rovers in 1898.

Bristol Rovers play all their home games at The Memorial Stadium in Horfield, a ground that they currently share with Bristol Rugby Club. The club moved to The Memorial Stadium at the start of the 1996-97 season originally as tenants but bought the ground two years later.

email dave@bristolrovers.co.uk

Capacity 12,011

February 2010

• grayfo's Profile Photo

by grayfo Written May 4, 2010

Bristol City was founded in 1897, when Bristol South End turned professional and changed its name to Bristol City. In 1900 the club merged with local rivals Bedminster, who were known as Southville a club founded in 1887.

Bristol City currently play their games at Ashton Gate stadium in the Ashton/Bedminster area of the city of Bristol, which has an all-seater capacity of 21,497. The club plan to build a new 30,000 capacity stadium at Ashton Vale, to be completed in time for the 2012-13 season.

email webmaster@bcfc.co.uk

Capacity 21,497

February 2010

• northeast80's Profile Photo

Bicycle in need of repair?

by northeast80 Written Mar 24, 2011

I wasn't quite sure where to put this tip!
    As I don't have any other form of transport (of course there are my legs and the busses) I heavily rely on my bike, one of the wonders of The Cycle Hub is that they come to my workplace!
    I can cycle into work, leave my bike with them all day and cycle home on a much improved bike (I do a lot of maintenance myself but do need a professional service now and then).
    They have widned their services to vans at Temple Meads train station, UWE Frenchay & Glenside, Bristol City Centre, Atkins, Bath Spa Uni, and the Royal Bank of Scotland. Please check out their timetable as these do change;

Equipment: Their services range from £15 brake service to an £80 premier service.

Bristol's Biggest Bike Ride

by northeast80 Written Mar 25, 2011

My friend took this photo of Clevedon pier

This event is in its 18th year in 2011, but I have only cycled it once before; the Clevedon Challenge - 38 miles. It is free but suggested donation for all riders is £1 which will go directly to Cots for Tots Appeal this year.
    A very special aspect to this event is that the Portway is closed to traffic, it is lovely going along without cars trying to overtake dangerously alongside the river.
    After the cycle it is great to spend some time on the Harbourside as there are live bands, food stalls, bike stalls and beer and you can collect your certificate.
    Please register as this gives numbers of attendees to the council and importantly gives them an emergency contact number should somthing happen.

There are 5 routes in total ranging from 9 miles to 38.
    The Clevedon Challenge follows the Avon Gorge Loop as far as Pill. The route then turns through Portbury, along the Gordano Valley to Clevedon, then through Brockley Combe, Barrow Gurney, Ashton Court and back to the Harbourside. It is not too hilly either aside from one very very steep bit where my friend's front wheel came up off the road!!!

The only downside is that all the routes merge to the same end route from Hotwells meaning you'll meet the shorter, slower rides at the end. On the plus side I suppose you get a bit of a warm down!

Equipment: The usual; bike lock, helmet (it is mostly off main roads but there are quite a few gravel tracks and pot holes and can get busy with other bikes and narrow roads so a helmet is advisable), water, lunch (to eat at the sort of half way point in Clevedon), puncture repair kit, pump, bike lights & jacket in case you decide to join in the events in the city centre after the cycle.

Korf what?

by northeast80 Written Jun 27, 2011

I play korfball. What? It's originally a Dutch game (the Dutch and Belgians are still the best players in the world) Korf means basket.
    It's a mixed sex game but you only ever defend / attack someone of the same sex. You don't have a position, you ether defend or attack and swap between the two when two goals are scored, you also change ends at this point too.
    You can bounce the ball to keep it under control (but not dribble), once you have it you can only take two steps before you have to pass it on. The basket is 3.5 meters high and doesn't have a back-board.
    I play for one of the three teams in Bristol and we all play in the South West league which covers Taunton, Gloucester and Exeter too.
    It's an indoor winter sport, we play summer tournaments out-doors too. League matches are between September and March.

Equipment: Just trainers (not running ones; hand-ball, basket ball types are better as they give more support for jumping and quick changes of direction), shorts and t-shirt.

• Skiing and Boarding
    • Diving and Snorkeling
    • Golf

Injured?

by northeast80 Written Jun 7, 2012
    Taping to drain swelling

Ok so not a tip about a particular sport but it could be useful if you get an injury whilst doing a sport.

A year ago, almost to the day, I tore 3 ligaments in my right ankle and muscle / ligament in my left knee and desperately needed some physio.
    I work at the University of the West of England and as they teach sport's therapy I had a look at the services they offer. In term time (my injury wasn't) they offer a sports therapy service for free (students will treat you) on the Glenside Campus but I went to our Centre for Sport at Frenchay and saw one person at first for massage, ultra sound and exercises after some months I saw a sports therapist who would go through exercises for me and give me more to do at home.
    Students get a discount but members of the public can go too, it just costs a few pounds more.

It took me a long time to get better as I'd done things to both of my legs one did better with walking and one did better with cycling, the two didn't really mix! But I was given very good advice and treatment in the clinic with plenty of exercises to do, which were increased as I as able, at home.

• Adventure Travel
    • Skiing and Boarding

• DUNK67's Profile Photo

Professional Football

by DUNK67 Updated Sep 6, 2004

Professional Football is played by Bristol Rovers.

I have seen Aston Villa play against Bristol Rovers in a friendly match whilst we were on holiday in nearby Weston Super Mare. I can`t remember what the score was but I did get some of the players autographs and had my photo taken with Villas Gordon Cowans, unfortunately the picture never came out.

Equipment: Good pair of eyes to watch the games and a strong set of lungs to shout them on.

• DUNK67's Profile Photo

Honours
    Home Kit
    Red shirt, white shorts
    Away Kit

I went there to watch City play against Swansea City with my friend and his dad who are Welsh, unfortunately we missed the first five minutes of the came, which was when the only goal was scored. From then on the game was pretty boring.

Equipment: To watch the match the only equipment you really need is a good strong voice to sing your club`s songs and encourage the team and your eyes to actually watch the game, some people do take a pair of binoculars if they sit far from the pitch.
    Apart from the above the club s encourage you to buy their merchandise to enhance your matchday experience, you can buy virtually anything from hats and scarfs to the full blown replica kit, which generally is updated annually.

Instant Answers: Bristol

Comments

Bristol Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Bristol sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bristol sightseeing.