Luton Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Luton

• leics's Profile Photo

Luton is not London.

by leics Updated Apr 19, 2014

Not London...... English countryside.

You may book a flight to 'London Luton', especially if you are using a European budget airline. Many budget airlines flying into the UK use London Luton and London Stansted airports.

You should be aware that neither Luton nor Stansted are actually in London. Luton is a large industrial town 40+ miles away from the capital city, Stansted is in Cambridgeshire and also around 40 miles away.

There are good transport links (buses and train) from both airports, but it will take you time (at least an hour) and cost money for you to get into London itself.

Luton airport website has details of transport into London. The fastest option is to take the train. There is a free shuttle bus from outside Arrivals to Luton Airport Parkway railway station. The cheapest option is to take the Easybus (a minibus run by Easyjet). Buses are slower than trains but cost less.

I took the photos with this tips whilst landing at Luton..just to show that not only is Luton not in London, the capital city is not even visible on the far horizon!

• Seniors

• leics's Profile Photo

Luton airport security can be slooooooow!

by leics Updated Apr 19, 2014

Luton airport Arrivals

I've travelled from Luton airport many times over the past few years.

It's quite a small airport which deals with large numbers of people travelling on European budget airlines and also large numbers of package holidaymakers.

At first, getting through security was ok. I always go through about 1.5 hours before my flight leaves, to be on the safe side, and have usually taken about 30 minutes to get into the departure lounge. But in 2012 the security hall, in the late morning and well past the early morning budget airline 'rush', was packed with hundreds of people and I simply couldn't risk spending an hour in a queue. I bought a 'priority lane' ticket to get through security more quickly and hoped that was a one-off.

This time (April 2014) I travelled in the mid-afternoon, well outside the early-morning budget airline 'rush'. When I reached the security hall it was packed with people. I guessed I'd spend around 45 minutes queuing up.

You can see how busy the security hall queue is before you actually go into the area. So you can, if you wish, use the machines to buy 'priority lane' security...that means you get through more quickly in a dedicated lane for those who pay. If you don't want to spend 45+ minutes queuing up..or haven't allowed enough time to do so... it's the only option.

So I grudgingly paid 4 GBP for a 'priority' ticket (it's gone up since 2012). The machines accept cash (coins only) or cards.

I still queued for a few minutes, and spent considerably longer whilst the security lady and I tried to work out why I continued to 'beep' her hand-held scanner (partly studs in my jeans and my bra but also, weirdly, my sweaty bare feet!)

In 2012, once in the departure hall, I watched others arrive. People who had gone up to security well before me took around an hour to get through, and some were *very* late for their flights. An Easyjet flight had closed whilst people were still...panic-stricken...emerging from security. Fortunately Easyjet re-opened the flight and they managed to get on.

It seems this wasn't a one-off.

I think Luton airport has found a nice little earner. Reducing the number of open security lanes so queues are very long and people who don't want to spend ages queuing, or can't do so, have to buy priority lane tickets.

I think it is disgusting that people have to pay to get through security in a reasonable amount of time.

So...if you are flying out of Luton airport do allow a *lot* of time for checking-in and getting through Luton security, whatever time of day.

Also make sure you have the right cash (or a card) so you can use the 'priority' machine if the security hall is packed. It will be cheaper than missing your flight!

• Seniors

• Somethinglikesarah's Profile Photo

Where do I start!?

by Somethinglikesarah Written Jun 5, 2005

ok, i live in luton so i guess i would kno most about this, to be honest it does get a bad press for the crime rates, but ive never had a prob after clubbing in town centre. whatever you do do not go through Marsh Farm at night, or Lewsey Farm or Houghton Regis. besides the fact theyre *** holes, and there'll be no reason for u to go there, you'll prob get mugged by some chavs. :)

• Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Luton

Comments

Luton Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Luton warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Luton sightseeing.