High Wycombe Favorites

I thought you had to use matchsticks !
    by sourbugger
    Map of Location
    by taryn_treloar
    Benjamin Disraeli window 27.1.06
    by Galahad

Best Rated Favorites in High Wycombe

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Much better than the real thing..

by sourbugger Updated May 5, 2004

I thought you had to use matchsticks !

Favorite thing: Wycombe has a number of fine buildings in the centre including the civic building in the photo which has been nicknamed by locals as 'The pepperpot'. I also liked what remained of a nearby coaching inn (I presume) with the distances to London and Oxford painted prominently on it's frontage.

The picture as actually from a Model made using Pyruma fire cement by Mr Phil Webb of High Wycombe.

Mr Webb has apparantly made over 200 models using Pyruma Fire Cement each model is built to 1 : 76th scale from photographs of the real object. The models take about 6 weeks to for him to build.

This also has the adavantage that you cannot see for yourself that this once fine looking town has been spoilt by ill thought-out shopping developments and the chain stores plastering their gawdy signs over all the place.

• Elodie_Caroline's Profile Photo

My birthday cake

by Elodie_Caroline Written Jan 29, 2008
    My birthday cake

Fondest memory:
    Yes, this is exactly what you think it is, it's a 'Sh!t cake'! My sister's husband, Simon, kindly made it for me for my 29th birthday. I did get a normal cake from him whilst we were in the pub, but when I went around to my sister's house the day after, this was awaiting for me. There is a story around this cake however.

One night; when I had gone out with some of my girlfrriends from the 'Nags head pub', we had all been drinking pints of beer and decided to go for a curry at the local Indian afterwards. We ended up only paying half of the bill, as the meal was quite awful and then we done a runner. When I got home, my stomach felt really bad, I was dying to go to the toilet, but knew I wouldn't make it up the hallway to do it on time. I had a bucket in my room that I used as a litter bin, I always kept a carrier bag in it, so as to not make the bucket dirty. So I squatted down on the bucket and did what I had to do, it looked just like a Cow pat and it was nestled in a 'Tesco' carrier bag of all things.
    I'm not a one to keep quiet about things like this, so since then, my family and friends have had the greatest delight in laughing about me sh!tting into Tesco carrier bags.

• Beer Tasting

• Elodie_Caroline's Profile Photo

Santa at Hannibal School

by Elodie_Caroline Written Feb 23, 2008
    A toy troll, Elvis no less!

Fondest memory:
    In 1991 we went to a school Christmas Bazaar at my sister's kids, Shane and Miranda's school. The rage of toy Trolls was back in fashion again at this time, it was like that back in the early 1970s, when I was at school too. All of the little kids were coming out of Sanata's Grotto with small plastic toy trolls. I wanted one too! So I gave the lady the 20 pence and went in to see Santa. Santa looked rather pleasantly surprised to see this young blonde woman standing there in front of him. Hey asked me what I wanted for Christmas, so I told him, truthfully of course, that i wanted a Troll. He gave me my toy Troll whilst he was laughing his head off. My husband said that I sat on Santa's knee for it, I wasn't p!ssed at the time, but I don't remember doing that bit... maybe I did though?

• Business Travel
    • School Holidays

• Not for the itinerary but not bad

by Edmundo11 Updated Feb 2, 2005

Favorite thing: Wycombe is much like many other towns, and is certainly not the best place to visit in an area that contains Henley, Marlow, etc.

However, if you do find yourself there then there is plenty to see:

The surrounding countryside is full of good walking;

West Wycombe is very pretty and is home to a stately home and caves that played host to debauched social gatherings of the 18th Century highbrow (including B Franklin!);

Hughenden Manor was the home of Disraeli and is open to the public; and

The town is perfectly placed to visit London (30 mins on the train) as well as Windsor and Oxford.

• Galahad's Profile Photo

Commemorative windows

by Galahad Written Apr 20, 2006
    Benjamin Disraeli window 27.1.06

Favorite thing: In the Oak Room at the civic buildings called The Swan I came across this set of windows commemorating local dignatories of the past.

Instant Answers: High Wycombe

Comments

High Wycombe Favorites

Reviews and photos of High Wycombe favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for High Wycombe sightseeing.