Brown's, Cambridge

23 Trumpington Street

Happy people, happy eating
    by eliowny
  • sourbugger's Profile Photo

Browns: All the food is brown...

by sourbugger Written Feb 18, 2013

Brown's has been going in Cambridge since the early 1970's. It's probably Cambridge best known restaurant by quite some distance. It always used to be the sort of place that proud parents from the home counties would take out little Tarquin (whose up studying Art History at Queen's) for afternoon tea. In other words it was traditional, a little old fashioned and a staid sensible choice. The parents were of course quite unaware that despite outwards appearances Tarquin was in fact smoking pot like it was going out of fashion and enjoying odd sexual practices with his gyp.

Browns is much the same. Traditional on the outside but with an odd twist or two on every dish.

I might have been unlucky, but on my last visit dishes were late, incomplete and sometimes incorrect. The place was full, so maybe it was just friday night blues.

Favorite Dish: Beware of the roasted goats cheese. Its presented as a whole camenbert re-inserted into its original wooden package. More fat to get through than the normal size glutton can manage.

• MikeBird's Profile Photo

Brown's: Disappointingly cold

by MikeBird Updated Jan 4, 2009

Located almost opposite Fitzwilliams Museum this famous restaurant is one of the places students would take their parents for tea or lunch. It has a very old fashioned feel to it. There are aspidistra potted plants on stands and the waiting staff are dressed in black and white with long white aprons. I wouldn't be surprised if they hold sedate tea dances there in the afternoons.

It was almost empty when we visited and we were looking for somewhere to warm up in a cosy atmosphere and with a hot drink . Unfortunately Browns, on that day, was not the place to provide these essentials. Sitting near to a window, but away from the door, we all felt cold and sadly the lukewarm chocolate drinks didn't provide the necessary heat. I think we all felt that the rather expensive drinks were not good value for money. We even had to order them ourselves from the bar - we should have gone to Starbucks!

• eliowny's Profile Photo

Brown's: It's a Tradition

by eliowny Written Jul 7, 2003

Happy people, happy eating

I wouldn't say that the food at Brown's is amazing, nor is it particularly cheap. Nor, in fact, is it free of tourists. But it is one of those places you 'have to go', so, here it is. And, in fact, the food isn't bad either. It had a very cool bar, and a neat fans-in-the-ceiling-casablanca-british-imperialism atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: I had some very decent crab cakes, but I hear the various pies (steak and guinness, etc) are pretty good too.

Instant Answers: Cambridge