Cycling, Cambridge

Know about this? Rate It!

• Cycling
    by nhcram
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

Renting a bike

by christine.j Written Aug 26, 2008

For the first time in all the time I had spent in the UK (quite a lot, as I had lived there once for several months) I decided to rent a bike. Station Cycles near Cambridge train station is supposed to be the best place to do that. And yes, they were very helpful and had a large selection from which to choose.

I liked the bike I rented, apart from the fact that it had no back pedal brake. I know this is not very common in the UK, but I had a very hard time getting used to it. It's just something I do automatically and I ride my bike a lot here.

Cycling on the left side of the road was surprisingly easy, though.
    After a while I also stopped being very polite to the car drivers, as I had the feeling they got too confused by my behaviour. Cyclists in Cambridge ride their bikes and leave it to the cars to pay attention. Read my warning and danger tip to see what I mean.

I wasn't quite so bad, but I actually believed that my polite and defensive cycling was more dangerous for me than riding more or less like all the other cyclists (less in my case).

You only know how good a store is when something goes wrong. I had rented the bike, paid the rental fee and the deposit by credit card and returned it the next day. During the transaction of transferring the deposit back to my credit card there was a power failure and everything went dark. After it was fixed again, the transaction had to be repeated. Back home I realized that instead of returning the deposit to me they had taken it once more. I informed the store, we exchanged a few emails and I got all my money back.Really good customer service!

Rental fee for a city bike with a basket and a good lock was £ 8 per calendar day, deposit £ 75.

• BerniShand's Profile Photo

WHEELY GOOD

by BerniShand Updated Aug 27, 2005

a familiar Cambridge sight

everywhere you look in Cambridge there are cycles and cyclists, its a compact city centre and cycles are by far the quickest way around it, the narrow streets are a nightmare to drive down and parking is horrendously expensive, of course cycling is so much kinder to the enviroment too, the centuries old buildings were not designed to withstand traffic fumes

watch out for cyclists when you are walking

• nhcram's Profile Photo

Make way for these!!

by nhcram Written Mar 29, 2005

The Cambridge bikes

Not sure who has right of way in Cambridge but I never argued with a cycle if it came toward me! They are everywhere and whilst there is an absence of cars the humble bike is the ideal way to get round the city.

• AcornMan's Profile Photo

Rent a bicycle

by AcornMan Written Apr 25, 2004

Although Cambridge is compact enough that visitors can get around fairly easily on foot, the most convenient way to see the city is by renting a bicycle. It seems like there are two bicycles for every person in England, and Cambridge is no exception. Finding a rental is easy and reasonably priced and makes it much easier to get around. The best part is that, unlike in the U.S., it's perfectly acceptable to ride an old piece-of-junk bicycle with a basket on the front in Cambridge. In fact, you'll fit right in!

• biking

by cielo85 Written Sep 1, 2003

i hired a bike,because i had to stay there for 4 weeks,and my friends said it seemed to be really fun ,but i found out it's really terrible,cuz it's really tiring,and i always didn't know the right traffic rules,but u do need it if u like to go out,cuz the bus never came on time,and if u like to go out at night,cuz there's usually no bus after 11 at night,and on sunday,there's fewer bus,and it's also fun to ride a bike in the english countryside,really lovely*S*

Instant Answers: Cambridge