Saint Neots Travel Guide

local Carnival
  • Off The Beaten Path

Saint Neots Things to Do

by katerina-dale Updated Nov 26, 2003

The Carnival time is during the last weekend of August, surprisingly for many Europeans!

In my country (Greece that is), we have the Carnival in mid-February and I have to say that it's one of the things I miss...

Well to come back to our subject: the carnival in England. Most people would prefer to go to the big Carnival in Notting Hill, which is really colourful and very crowded. But my husband does not particularly like the crowds. So the local festival is the alternative for us. And I have to say that I've grown to like it as well.

You get to see the children of local schools all dressed up. With a lot of enthusiasm, they parade in St Neots, being watched by all locals. Last year our niece was parading as well!

I can guarantee that 90% would be real English. It is very rare to find anyone from other countries, which for someone like me that has lived all my life in Athens (a place full of tourists), this is very refreshing.

It gives a family feel and that's exactly the impression you get from this small Carnival!

Carnival time, parade in St Neots
    • Festivals

by katerina-dale Updated Nov 24, 2003

Here you have a partial view of the Market square, hosting one of the cultural events for the Carnival in 1999 if I remember well.

We had traditional dances from locals but also from people mainly but also there were guests from the Twin Towns.

St Neots is twinned with Faches-Thumenils in Lille (Northern France) and via this twinning there is a link with twin towns that Faches has in other European countries: Cattolica in Italy, Naoussa of Mainland Greece and Naoussa of Paros, Stolberg in Germany, well I don't remember the rest!

But we had Germans and I think we also had French and Italians taking part in this carnival, dressed in traditional costumes and dancing... It was fun.

You get these interesting events every year in this local Carnival.

by katerina-dale Updated Nov 24, 2003

This classic car rally takes place every year in St Neots during a bank holiday weekend of May:either the one for the 1st May or the last weekend of May, I can not tell with certainty.

If you are a classic car lover you'd love this. Of course, this is not the best classic rally in the world, but it is entertaining: you get to see how many of the townspeople (and those around the area) are lucky enough to have a wonderful, beautiful classic car.

I envy them and I am not even a car driver! ;->

Saint Neots Hotels

Saint Neots Restaurants

• Suet's Profile Photo

by Suet Written Feb 16, 2006

This is a fairly new place in the Market Square of St Neots. I like the decor, it was tastefully lit and the owner was pleased to see us. They have special offers, which I won't bore you with, you can enlarge the second scan to find out if you choose.

It was clean, elegant and a delight to dine in.

Favorite Dish: I happen to like taglietelle carbonara and the chocolate dessert. This particular presentation was a good one, very tasty and obviously cooked freshly which is a bonus. In a busy restaurant in full swing, they often pre-cook your food and leave it to sit, then re-heat. Not so in this case.

The cost of the meal, including my share of wine, was £26.42 which wasn't bad. If you like cheaper, you can try Pizza Hut!

It was worth going to and I certainly would go again.

The business card reverse of the card detailing special offers

Saint Neots Off The Beaten Path

by katerina-dale Updated Nov 26, 2003

This is another photo during winter in Saint Neots. I know you can see no living soul on this photo but that is because Simon and I were the only ones mad enough to leave our warm house and go for a walk there in the freezing cold!

In the Summer it is crowded with families. The children play with the ducks and try to learn boating in this safe lake. In Spring, you can go there for a walk just to enjoy the new flowering period.

It is a popular place in this small, very English, town.

In this picture you can see another dimension: a frozen lake and the nature sleeping in peace...Still though, this is only 5 minutes from the heart of the town.

Riverside Park ,frozen lake
    • Travel with Pets

by katerina-dale Updated Nov 23, 2003

Forgive me for this, but I witnessed it and I think it's worth mentionning!

One day we were just walking with Simon in the Riverside park, which is 5 minutes from the market Square by walking...And there we saw the cows...!
    I was amazed! Simon as a local was puzzled with me, as for him this is just a common sight.

But whoever has been to Athens would agree with me that this is far from common to somebody that comes from that city... this is so different!

That's the good thing of living in the countryside.
    I live in St Neots for 5 years now and I still react like a kid when I see these cows... I still do not remember when is the time that you see them near the park: I think it's in early spring.

• School Holidays

• Saint Neots Hotels

1 Hotels in Saint Neots

Instant Answers: Saint Neots

Comments

Saint Neots Travel Guide
Map of Saint Neots