The Fowey Ticket Shop and Tourist Information Centre also incorporates the Daphne du Maurier Literary Centre and is a good source for finding quality accommodation, booking rail, coach and Eden Project tickets. Also available for sale are the usual books, maps and quality gifts.
Monday to Saturday: 9:30 am to 5:00 pm
Sunday: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
The Fowey Estuary has been a port since Norman times and is one of the most attractive and unspoilt parts of Britain's south coast. The peaceful Fowey River is surrounded by many miles of lovely open countryside, much of which is owned by the National Trust.
Here the Chapel of St. Catherine build at about 1390 stood on a cliff at the harbour entrance where in medieval times a light was burning as a primitive lighthouse. The fort below was built in the reign of King Henry VIII.
Dating back to the early 1800's this building was known as the Commercial Inn being a stopping place for coach and horses. In those days it was well known for hiring horses and carriages and the original stables were where the bar is now.
Surrounding the St. Fimbarrus Church is the old graveyard, which contains grave stones from the early centuries of Fowey as well as a monument to the fallen of the World Wars.
A tranquil setting right in the heart of Fowey.
Recorded as an Inn in 1782, it was probably a former private residence, for upstairs a plaster plaque commemorates a plaster ceiling in 1633. In the 17th century a group of plasterers were very active in the West Country and it would seem that at the time many houses in the area were embellished by their workmanship. The Inn was a meeting place for the Court Leet from 1787 to 1806 which had jurisdiction over harbour and shipping dues.
The Town Quay is where all the roads meet, harbour cruises start and it offers a small parking area. It used the Town Quay as the central point to orientate myself with all the narrow streets that go and up and down the hill as well as along the Fowey valley.
This medieval house, reputedly the oldest building in Fowey was built in 1430 the year before Joan of Arc was burnt at the stake, before the War of the Roses and sixty years before Columbus discovered America.
The old kitchen is enchanting, walls fireplace and beams are very little altered from when they were built and some of the original cobbles remain to view.
Built in 1570 by John Rasleigh, a celebrated merchant, it is named after his famous ship "Frances of Fowey". Although greatly altered over the centuries, one room remains much as it was originally with its ornamental ceiling, fine oak panelled walls and carved over the fireplace, the names of John and Ales Rashleigh and the date 1570.
One curiosity I discovered whilst exploring Fowey was the Churchyard Cat - Bosley. A sign indicated that the cat at my visit was 16 years old and a loving family cat that lived in the churchyard of St. Fimbarrus. So if you visit say hello to this furry local inhabitant - just please do not feed Bosley!
The church's inside decoration bring one back to the medieval times. Grave stones that are placed in the church's wall, a beautiful decorated altar and lovely artistic windows give this church a romantic atmosphere.
Dedicated to St. Finbar who passed through Fowey early in the 6th century on his way from Ireland to Rome. His Church was replaced by a Norman one, of which only the fine front remains. Rebuilt in 1336, partially destroyed in 1457 in an attack by the French when the town was burnt, it was again rebuilt by the Earl of Warwick.
This fine Georgian building is on the site of a medieval rest house for pilgrims on their way to the shrine of St. James of Compostela in Spain. Records show that between 1412 and 1456 licenses were granted to seven Fowey shippers who carried approximately 350 pilgrims.
The date when the house was built is unknown, it became the family house of the Treffry family in 1280 on the occasion of the marriage of Thomas Treffry to Elizabeth Boniface who was living at the Place at the time. When the French attacked the town in 1456, Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Treffry the Second, with her men repelled the French by pouring molten lead from the roof onto the attackers. It was fortified by Thomas like a castle in around 1458. Today the Place is still a family residence and the mansion is not open to the public.
Situated on the north side of Fore Street, it is one of the oldest buildings in Fowey having been there long before the fire of 1457. Originally the home and warehouse of a wealthy merchant, today it is a Dentist Surgery and adjoining shop.