The Inn started its life as a wine bar over the wine vaults of 10 and 12 Fore Street. The original entrance was from the Town Quay although by the late 1890's the entry to the Private and Saloon Bars via the now existing passage.
Around 1948 the whole premises were leased to the Courage Brewery and it still retained the sawdust flooring of old.
Since 1994 it is in private hands.
This large house with stunning views over the Fowey valley close to the Whitehouse passenger ferry slip was the home of Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch or "Q" a Cambridge professor, mayor of Fowey, editor of the Oxford Book of English Verse and author of many novels on the life and times of Fowey.
Situated on the north side of Fore Street, it is one of the oldest buildings in Fowey having been there long before the fire of 1457. Originally the home and warehouse of a wealthy merchant, today it is a Dentist Surgery and adjoining shop.
The date when the house was built is unknown, it became the family house of the Treffry family in 1280 on the occasion of the marriage of Thomas Treffry to Elizabeth Boniface who was living at the Place at the time. When the French attacked the town in 1456, Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Treffry the Second, with her men repelled the French by pouring molten lead from the roof onto the attackers. It was fortified by Thomas like a castle in around 1458. Today the Place is still a family residence and the mansion is not open to the public.
Situated right next to the Town Quay it is the probable site of an Elizabethan poor house named after Frederick the Great, King of Prussia, who's victories in the Seven Years War had made him a hero in Britain. Originally it was the Old Compting House or Municipal Hall built over the columns of the old market, which is still remain to this day, but it was pulled down in 1886 and the Inn rebuilt on similar lines.
Dedicated to St. Finbar who passed through Fowey early in the 6th century on his way from Ireland to Rome. His Church was replaced by a Norman one, of which only the fine front remains. Rebuilt in 1336, partially destroyed in 1457 in an attack by the French when the town was burnt, it was again rebuilt by the Earl of Warwick.
The church's inside decoration bring one back to the medieval times. Grave stones that are placed in the church's wall, a beautiful decorated altar and lovely artistic windows give this church a romantic atmosphere.
The aquarium has been on Fowey Town Quay for over 50 years and houses a collection of fish from the local waters around Fowey. One can usually see fish like the sinister conger eel, which is an anglers favourite.
There is also a range of lobsters and crabs as well as a crab touch pool for children.
The museum is open from Easter until the end of September.
Fowey is the toast of yachtsmen and ramblers, but also of historians and archaeologists. Iron Age Man already lived here. The Romans came to visit and used the port and 1380 the Spanish, followed by the French in 1457 tried to burn it to the ground. Drake, Raleigh and Frobisher all sailed from Fowey and the harbour was surveyed by Cook before he became captain.
Although the museum is small it is packed with many interesting collections.
This fine Georgian building is on the site of a medieval rest house for pilgrims on their way to the shrine of St. James of Compostela in Spain. Records show that between 1412 and 1456 licenses were granted to seven Fowey shippers who carried approximately 350 pilgrims.
Built in 1570 by John Rasleigh, a celebrated merchant, it is named after his famous ship "Frances of Fowey". Although greatly altered over the centuries, one room remains much as it was originally with its ornamental ceiling, fine oak panelled walls and carved over the fireplace, the names of John and Ales Rashleigh and the date 1570.
This medieval house, reputedly the oldest building in Fowey was built in 1430 the year before Joan of Arc was burnt at the stake, before the War of the Roses and sixty years before Columbus discovered America.
The old kitchen is enchanting, walls fireplace and beams are very little altered from when they were built and some of the original cobbles remain to view.
The Town Quay is where all the roads meet, harbour cruises start and it offers a small parking area. It used the Town Quay as the central point to orientate myself with all the narrow streets that go and up and down the hill as well as along the Fowey valley.
Recorded as an Inn in 1782, it was probably a former private residence, for upstairs a plaster plaque commemorates a plaster ceiling in 1633. In the 17th century a group of plasterers were very active in the West Country and it would seem that at the time many houses in the area were embellished by their workmanship. The Inn was a meeting place for the Court Leet from 1787 to 1806 which had jurisdiction over harbour and shipping dues.
Surrounding the St. Fimbarrus Church is the old graveyard, which contains grave stones from the early centuries of Fowey as well as a monument to the fallen of the World Wars.
A tranquil setting right in the heart of Fowey.