Gunnislake Restaurants

Frontage (with a bit of sideage)
    by johngayton

Most Recent Restaurants in Gunnislake

• johngayton's Profile Photo

The Buccaneer Inn: The Cheapest (Alcoholic) Lunch In The UK?

by johngayton Updated Aug 19, 2009

Frontage (with a bit of sideage)

This is a pub that doesn't do food! So I'm putting it here out of pure badness.

Of the three pubs I visited this was definitely my favourite. As soon as I walked through the door to be greeted by an entirely empty bar, not just devoid of customers but also devoid of servers, I kinda liked this pub.

First appearances are everything!

The main bar is quite cavernous with a pool table taking centre-spot, there's a little off-shoot lounge area and out the back what looked like a well-kept beer garden. A table by the front door offered a selection of the days newspapers and so I sat at the bar and read all the newpapers, did all the crosswords, practiced my origami (building a scale model of the village with the newpapers) and then a slightly flustered landlady arrived, apologising profusely.

"No worries, I'm in no rush."

I duly ordered my beer and almost fainted when told the price - "That'll be Two Pounds, Thanks."

I'm definitely liking this pub!

The beer was excellent and of course in true pub fashion we opened our conversation about the weather. Gill is a real pub landlady, chatty without being too personal, and as the first pint was enjoyed the second just had to be done. A bit of lunch was ordered too (note that the place doesn't do food) and the conversation ranged as to whether I was on the RailAleTrail and what a great carnival weekend it had been.

Gill is one of the organisers and the pub hosts a couple of live bands during the carnival as well as being a regular music venue in the village.

I could have quite happily spent the whole afternoon here but had a train to catch, and one more pub en route in the village so we bade farewell.

Excellent pub!

Favorite Dish: A bag of "Salty Dog" Ham and Mustard Crisps with a pickled egg thrown in - just like ham, egg and chips! Washed down with a couple of pints of the Truro-based Keltek brewery's "Magik" made for lunch for a fiver! And Gill, the landlady, agreed as she too partook of this veritable feast.

PS I was lying about how long it took to get served, I'd only half-completed the scale model ;)

• Trains
    • Beer Tasting

• The Chippie: The Chippie on Fore Street

by lucyt Written May 22, 2006

It has signs in the window but has never ever been seen open. Looks through the window and there are tables laden with dining paraphenalia. But no customers. And no food.
    So don't go here if you're hungry.
    You'll be disappointed.
    It's a ghost cafe...

Instant Answers: Gunnislake

Comments

Gunnislake Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Gunnislake restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gunnislake sightseeing.