Gunnislake Things to Do

• johngayton's Profile Photo

The Tavistock Arms - Nice But Not User-friendly

by johngayton Updated Aug 19, 2009

Frontage

I'd dropped in here for my first beer in the village, and maybe a bite to eat. The bookshelf-lined front bar certainly looked cosy and welcoming and there was proper beer on offer. I was the only customer in the place at about 2 pm on a drizzly Monday but rather than made to feel welcome I felt as if I was somehow intruding.

I'm a pub person and it's very rare for me to feel uninvited in a pub. Which is a pity because this is a good-looking pub (well, it's a small hotel but that shouldn't make any difference). I enjoyed my beer anyway and perusing the blackboard menus it looks like I would have enjoyed the food too - "Cornish Scallops and Bacon" sounded good to me.

Ach, well that's just my personal opinion from my one visit, maybe I just caught them on a bad day.

• Beer Tasting
    • Trains

• yozza2005's Profile Photo

Take a step back in time, hikes, and scones!

by yozza2005 Written Sep 14, 2007

Things to see and do

in an around Gunnislake
    The Tamar Valley Discovery Trail
    Part of the Tamar Valley Discovery Trail between Plymouth and Launceston is the Gunnislake Village Trial which consists of several walks between one and three miles long with easy-moderate walking (some hills).

These walks take you past historic sites of interest with stunning views of the Tamar Valley and River. The trail takes in scenery painted by JMW Turner in 1815 such as his famous painting ‘Crossing the Brook’, a picture of New Bridge and the surrounding valley at Gunnislake.

Cotehele Quay and House (National Trust) are nearby and is one of the UK’s least-altered mediaeval houses. Many local craftspeople and artists feature here and you can leave the car there and take the passenger ferry over to Calstock, again on the Tamar Valley Discovery Trail.

Morwellham Quay
    Just up the road from Gunnislake, there's the famous Victorian Living Museum at Morwellham Quay where you can dress in Victorian costume, take a trip into the mines on the Charlotte & George mine ride or simply enjoy the walks and nature reserves. For more information go to www.morwellham-quay.co.uk

Kit Hill
    Kit Hill can be seen for miles around and is one of the highest points in Cornwall. On a clear day you can see Dartmoor, Bodmin Moor, the Tamar Valley and Plymouth and when the sky is at its clearest even the Eddystone Light is visible from this granite hilltop.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Architecture

• johngayton's Profile Photo

The Cornish Inn

by johngayton Updated Aug 19, 2009

Frontage

This was friendly enough but a little on the trendy side for my pub tastes. There were actually a couple of other customers here when I arrived but who soon departed - maybe it's me!

OK pub though.

• Trains
    • Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Gunnislake

Comments

Gunnislake Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Gunnislake things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gunnislake sightseeing.