Newquay Restaurants

• LouiseTopp's Profile Photo

Bunters: Milkshakes to die for

by LouiseTopp Updated Aug 13, 2013
    Best restaurant in town

Next to a shop called No worries is Buntys resturant which stays open during the high season until 9-10pm. The staff are very friendly and the menue is good. EG: They do macoroni cheese at £4.95. There are menue's on the tables, but there is also a specials board as well. You can sit outside but it can be gusty especially when it rains. The milkshakes (chocolate, banana or vanilla) are made using real icecream, these are a real treat. Everything is home made to good standard. There is no step, so wheelchairs can get in. The bread-pudding is very popular and yummy.

Favorite Dish: The apple pie with the icecream, can also have it with cream. Also the cream tea at £3.50 with the pot of tea. Now also bread pudding.

• Disabilities

• DUNK67's Profile Photo

Truscotts: Fish and Chips Heaven

by DUNK67 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Truscotts is probably one of the best if not the best Fish and Chip shops that I have ever had the pleasure to eat in.
    Although the portions aren't the biggest that I have ever had they are quite filling and very, very delicious.
    They are also not the cheapest that I have ever eaten but they are well worth every penny.

You can either eat in their newly refurbished restaurant or take away and eat them overlooking some of the stunning views.
    Locally caught fish is often on the menu along with locally made pasties and various other dishes.

Favorite Dish: The only thing that I have ever ordered is Cod and Chips or Haddock and Chips but they are very nice with nice crisp batter and succulent fish, the chips are also nice with not a hint of grease like you get in some places.

• Tricky_Dicky69's Profile Photo

La Luna: Popular Italian

by Tricky_Dicky69 Updated Apr 4, 2011

La Luna, Newquay

La Luna is a popular Italian restaurant at the eastern end of town. The menu is made up of the usual mixture of salads, pasta, pizza etc. with enough choice to please everyone. The restaurant is not massive and as a result the tables are a little squeezed in but this doesn't spoil the atmosphere.

The place always seems to be busy. Our first visit ended in disappointment as the place was full. I would recommend booking in advance, which can be done via the web-site.

Favorite Dish: All food sampled was good which included a variety of starters, mains and deserts. Service was good despite the place being busy. Drinks, including the wine, were reasonably priced as was the food.

We would definitely go back if we ever return to Newquay.

Tricky Dicky's rating 7.5 / 10

• Hiking and Walking

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Sugar Bar & Bistro: Sugar Bar & Bistro

by sue_stone Written May 8, 2009
    Steak Sandwich

It was lunch time in Newquay and we wandered along the pedestrianised Bank Street looking for somewhere to eat. Sugar Bar & Bistro caught our eye as its bi-fold doors where open right up and it had fresh, modern décor.

The menu was inviting with some lighter options which was perfect as we had an early dinner planned later. After a quick look at the menu we tried to order up at the bar, but were told to take a seat and someone would be over to take our order. Annoyingly it was then ten minutes before the lone barman/server was free to come over to our table.

Favorite Dish: We ordered a Steak Sandwich and a Chicken, Bacon & Avocado Sandwich (which I asked for with no mayo), both of which were served with fries and salad.

Thankfully our food didn't take too long to arrive, though of course my sandwich incorrectly had mayo on it. I was too hungry to send it back. That said, the food was enjoyable and ingredients were fresh.

• Beer Tasting

• LouiseTopp's Profile Photo

Ocean(S): Great food at great prices

by LouiseTopp Updated Feb 11, 2008

Over the road from Argos is a café called Ocean that has blue canopies. It’s quite pleasant with views of the street & any stag or hen party groups which might comer by. There are lots of offers on the board, although the menu is just as great. A lot of people I met have recommended this café, & we will be visiting again. Here is an example of what you might be able to get.

Steak & Ale pudding with new potatoes or chips and peas for £5.95.

Favorite Dish: Steak & Ale pudding.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• Tricky_Dicky69's Profile Photo

Lotus Thai: Authentic Thai food in Newquay.

by Tricky_Dicky69 Updated Jan 1, 2008

Lotus Thai. Newquay

The Lotus Thai Restaurant serves authentic Thai cuisine in the heart of Newquay. We came across it by chance and were glad that we did. The place is fairly small with quite a few tables so things are a little snug but this didn't cause us a problem.

Our Waiter was new to the job and still learning the ropes but this was counteracted by his firendliness and enthusiasm. There were also a lot of people coming in to collect takeaways which is always a good sign.

Favorite Dish: We went for the mixed starters for two which contained chicken satay, spring rolls, prawn toast etc. etc. Very tasty.

Our mains were just as good, particularly the red curry and pad thai noodles. Wine was well chilled and reasonably priced. All in all a very enjoyable meal.

Tricky Dicky's rating 8 / 10

• Hiking and Walking

• sunshinejo's Profile Photo

The Buzz Bar: Smoothie Heaven!

by sunshinejo Written Oct 3, 2006

Umm, just thinking about this place makes my mouth water... and rightly so - they sell the yummiest smoothies EVER!! The menu is ridiculously long and the list of possible ingredients to add to your smoothie seems never ending. As well as the usual fruits put into smoothies they also have a wide range of exotic fruits that your average person has never heard of.... and best of all they can tell you all the wonderful benefits you get from these fruits. Most smoothies cost between £2.50 and £3.

However it's not just blended fruits they serve here, they also sell coffee and a wide selection of teas (traditional and herbal) and they serve frozen yoghurt ice creams.

I very rarely manage to walk by without being tempted inside, and it's always my first port of call if I'm feeling a little worse for wear after a large night out!!

Favorite Dish: My fave smoothie is called "In The Pink", which is pineapple, banana, strawberries and yoghurt... delicious!

The Lewinnick Lodge: Great bar, fantastic views

by sunshinejo Updated Sep 24, 2006

The Lewinick Lodge is a real gem of a place situated right on the edge of a cliff on the Pentire Headland, and it has some really spectacular views over Fistral Beach. I believe it's recently been refurbished, the decor is very modern, but in a nice way. There's a lovely little beer garden down some steps, and a stunning deck outside the bar and restaurant. I've only been here twice, both times on warm summer evenings for a few beers with friends to sit outside in the beer garden. To me this is the perfect way to spend a summer evening, although sadly it's facing the wrong way to enjoy the sunset. Be warned though, as soon as the sun goes down it can get very chilly, so it's a good idea to bring a jumper.

Inside there's a pool table, and tvs that they show sport on. People can eat in the bar (although not in the bottom beer garden) or there's a seperate restaurant with properly laid up tables, waitress service etc... I think if you want to eat in the restaurant it's advisable to book ahead as it can get pretty busy here.

Favorite Dish: I had crab to start followed by a tuna steak, which I was absolutely delicious. The service was top notch and the food was well cooked, well presented and really tasty! The menu is pretty varied with steak, chicken, pasta and salad dishes as well as a wide selection of daily fish specials. Mains start at around £9.00. They also have a good wine list and a choice of puds.

• Luxury Travel

• LittleDee's Profile Photo

Fistral Blu: Great location overlooking Fistral Beach

by LittleDee Written Sep 17, 2006

Great location overlooking Fistral Beach with a balcony area so you can sit outside and really enjoy the view.

There is a good range of food not just seafood so there should be something for everyone.

• sunshinejo's Profile Photo

Buzios: Nice, but a little overpriced

by sunshinejo Written Sep 17, 2006

I came here recently with a friend for dinner before hitting the town and had a really nice evening. We got there at about 7.30 on a Friday evening, so the place wasn't too busy yet and they seated us straight away in a nice big leather booth. The service was outstanding, our waitress was very attentive, friendly and chatty and the food was also delicious without too long a wait. The food and a bottle of wine came to a total of £32, which isn't too bad, but I think it's a little overpriced for what it is. However, like I said, we had a really nice evening and we didn't feel like we were being ripped off.

Favorite Dish: We each ordered a pizza and, after the waitress advised us that they were quite small, we added a side order of chips and some olives. The pizzas were delicious, and apparently everything here is made fresh and to order.

• sunshinejo's Profile Photo

The Chippy: Maybe it's not so bad after all...

by sunshinejo Updated Sep 3, 2006

OK, so inspite of the rather poor review I gave "The Chippy" after my first visit I returned there recently and was rather pleasantly surprised. The fish was much better - not rubbery and tasteless like last time, but really quite nice. The chips were good too. Again, both were fresh from the fryer.

On this occasion I also noticed that the service was good too, although it was a Friday night in August and packed with drunks and tourists the guy beghind the counter was very upbeat and cheerful... he even gave me an extra bit of fish free of charge! :-)

However, on the subject of money, the costs had gone up to about £4.25, although there was a notice apologising for this increase and explaining that it's because the price of cod has gone up and they had no choice.

All in all, I would say a much better experience than on my first visit, however I will keep that tip up too as a demonstration that it may not always live up to the high standards I experienced on this occasion.

Barbecue @ Sunset!: DIY on the Beach

by sunshinejo Updated Aug 19, 2006

Sunset on Fistral

Yep, this is definitly one of my fave ways to pass an evening. The best part of it is that it's so simple, and so cheap! All you need is a good group of friends (or a special someone!); a disposable barbecue or two, depending on numbers; your choice of food and some booze! Other useful things to throw in are a couple of blankets or beach towels to sit on, plastic plates/cutlery/glasses and of course a camera!

The past few weeks we've had some really amazing weather in Newquay, and the beaches have been almost as crowded in the evenings as they are during the day, with lots of groups of people heading down there to watch the sunset and enjoy a meal. Fistral is definitly the favourite location, although it can get a bit breezy there, so if you prefer your dinner without a side order of sand then towan, great western or tolcarne beaches are just as good and a little less crowded.

My only request is this - be sure to take all your rubbish with you, be careful when disposing of hot barbeques, and if you're taking glass bottles with you then please, PLEASE be very careful not to break them. It's so irresponsible, especially as there are so many kids running around barefoot on the beaches.

• sunshinejo's Profile Photo

The Chippy: Newquay's Best Fish & Chips?

by sunshinejo Updated May 18, 2006

I'd heard from a couple of people that this fish and chip shop was known to be the best in Newquay, so I was quite eager to give it a go. However, to be perfectly honest I wouldn't say that it was anything particularly special and I've certainly had much better fish and chips. The fish was a bit rubbery and didn't have much flavour and the chips weren't great either. I feel I should also state that this was not due to the fish having been sat on a hot shelf for a while... it was fresh from the fryer. Now maybe I was unlucky enough to go in there on a the wrong night when they were having a bad day, or maybe this is a reflection on the quality of fish and chip shops in Newquay (I hope not!), or maybe this chippy just doesn't quite live up to it's reputation. Who knows? But until I've at least tried out a couple more chippies the qustion mark in the title stays!

Favorite Dish: I ordered cod and chips, which cost £3.95.

The Shanghai Express: Chinese Restaurant

by sunshinejo Updated May 7, 2006

My parents took me here when I first arrived in Newquay. To be honest there was nothing particularly outstanding about the place, it was just another chinese restaurant. However, we had a very enjoyable evening - the food was good, the staff polite and friendly and the prices were reasonable. I would definitly go back again, and I would recommend it to others. In my opinion, the only thing that stops it from really standing out is the decor (pretty ordinary - but then most chinese restaurants are) and the lack of views.

Favorite Dish: We shared crispy duck pancakes to start, which is one of my favourite dishes ever, and then I had pork in green peppers and black bean sauce with egg fried rice and a spring roll. Delicious!

• THE CHY: DON.T MISS THIS RESTAURANT

by qwercus Written Sep 19, 2005

This place has a excellent feel to it, wether in the upstairs restaurant or the bar/cafe.
    The service was excellent ,friendly & efficient .The choice & variety of food was good , from the bread rolls(free) with garlic, chilli ect dip.through to the cocktails or irish coffee.

Favorite Dish: chicken & king prawns with thai green curry & sticky rice

• Water Sports

Instant Answers: Newquay

Comments

Newquay Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Newquay restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Newquay sightseeing.