Newquay Sports & Outdoors

Most Recent Sports & Outdoors in Newquay

• DUNK67's Profile Photo

Crazy Golf

by DUNK67 Updated Aug 17, 2007

Crazy Golf is a lot of fun and can be played on this 18 hole course. It is best played with a group of mates and only costs £3 for a hours fun or longer if you`ve had a few drinks.
    Also on site is a Cafe serving food and drinks throughout the day.

Equipment: All the equipment is supplied, ball, club, pencil and scorecard.

• northeast80's Profile Photo

West Coast Surfari

by northeast80 Written Feb 8, 2007

A friend and I booked a days surf lesson for beginners and we were the only ones there so we got one on two tuition, not bad.
    This was at the beginning of the season, mid-June so it was quieter.
    It cost us £40 each for the full day, we turned up at their base, which is also a hostel, and got driven to Watergate Bay, chose our wetsuits, put on a load of sunscreen and practiced a little on the sand before getting into the sea.
    I absolutely loved it, I am a water baby, my friend, however, forgot she didn't like going under water so not as much fun for her, but I still think she enjoyed doing it, I hope!
    I was good at kneeling, still am after surfing a few more times in Australia, and even stood up a few times.
    We had a break for lunch where we walked up to a bar overlooking Watergate Bay and started up again, the tutor was always on hand to offer advice and encouragement.
    At the end of the day we got given our certificates and driven back into Newquay.
    I woke up the next morning not being able to move at all! My arms and stomach couldn't move, my friend had to put my sun cream on me and I don't think I bothered to brush my hair. A very good workout, no wonder surfers have such well toned bodies!

• Water Sports

Surfing at Sunset

by sunshinejo Written Jul 27, 2006

Surfers on Fistral

This is my favourite time of day to surf. Partly because there are a lot less people in the water than there are during the day, but also because it's just SOOOOOO beautiful! I regularly find myself wishing that I had a camera with me, but of course that's not very practical!

Even before I started surfing, I found it really relaxing just to come down to the beach, or find a spot on the headland where I can watch the surfers, and enjoy the fading sun lighting up the sea and the sky.

Although Fistral is the most popular spot, I usually prefer to go to Great Western, especially at low tide, from where you can see the headland silhouetted against the sunset, plus it's a lot quieter than Fistral so it's more peaceful and relaxing. If you're not going to be getting in the water, then my fave spot to watch the surfers is the headland just beyond Tolcarne Beach. There's a small grassy area with benches where the disabled access path leads down to the beach. From here you get great views over Tolcarne, Great Western and Towan Beaches all the way to the Headland.

Equipment: Surfboard or camera, depending on whether you're going to be in or out of the water

• Adventure Travel

Other Newquay Surf Schools

by sunshinejo Written May 21, 2006

I haven't actually used any of these surf schools, neither do I know anybody who has, I list their details purely for informational purposes.

- Blue Wings Surf School:

Tel: 01637 874585
    www.escapesurfschool.co.uk

Reef Surf School

by sunshinejo Written May 21, 2006

I had a half day lesson with Reef Surf School, which I really enjoyed and found quite useful. The group was pretty big, 19 people with 3 instructors. When the tide is high, as it was that day, Great Western Beach is pretty small, which meant that there were a lot of people crowded into a small space of water, making surfing a lot harder. I was quite lucky, as I'd surfed before so they put me and one other girl in the "progressor" group, which meant we didn't have to sit through the introduction to surfing bit and went straight onto mastering the art of standing up! It also meant we had an instructor just for the two of us, we got a lot more attention, praise when we did it right and advice when we were having trouble. It also meant that when the rest of the group were taken out of the water to be talked through the next stage, we could stay in the water and take advantage of the extra space.

However, if it had been my first time surfing and I'd been in the beginner group, I'm not so sure I'd have had such a good experience. Although I did see a few people in that group getting on quite well, I also noticed a few others who were really struggling, and everbody was competing for the attention of the instructors. I did go on a Saturday morning though, it may be that if you were to go for a lesson mid-week then the group may not be as big, and at low-tide there'd be a lot more room in the water for practicing.

Prices for lessons are £25 for a half day, £35 for a full day or £55 for 2 days.

Equipment: All equipment is provided by the surf school and included in the prices mentioned above. All you need to bring is a towel and your swimming gear.

• DUNK67's Profile Photo

Surfing

by DUNK67 Updated Aug 19, 2004

Newquay is the surfing capital of Great Britain and numerous competitions are held throughout the year. In July Newquay plays host to the British leg of the Ripcurl Surf Festival when the worlds best surfers get together and compete for a fair amount of prize money.

Surfboards can be bought or hired in several places around the town and beaches and lessons be booked in the same places.

Equipment: A surfboard.

• Water Sports

Instant Answers: Newquay

Comments

Newquay Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Newquay sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Newquay sightseeing.