Truro Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Truro

Vertigo: Vertigo

by leafmcgowan Written Aug 9, 2010

A great little hole-in-the-wall art-deco upmarket Cafe Bar in Truro, Cornwall. The place is very stylish and comfortable with couches, tables, and lounging environment. The bar offers delicious cocktails, tapas, teas, and coffess. Great food and snacks available. Now dwelling in the former old court house, this three story building has a garden, conservatory, dining area, and bar. It is also a place where you can get married as they hold a wedding license. The place has four different themed rooms. The establishment is owned and operated by hotelier Carolien Davidson, Jodie Phillips, and Neil Barku. I found the place very artsy, hospitable, and friendly. I enjoyed the fare, even though it was very small portions, it was well priced. Rating : 4 stars out of 5.

• Wine Tasting

• leafmcgowan's Profile Photo

William IV: William IV Pub (Truro, Cornwall, England)

by leafmcgowan Written Aug 9, 2010

During mid-week, William IV Pub is one of the few pubs/restaurants opening and serving food after 6 pm in downtown Truro. Located in the busy city center of Truro, the pub boasts a vibrant atmosphere and a fantastic selection of beer and wines. During my visit on 6/15/10 - it was a bit low key, quiet, and excellent speedy service. Since I don't drink beer, I can't comment on the selections as I stuck with my usual vodka and tonic. This tuesday was "Curry night" and had some pretty tasty chicken curry presented. I was pleased. The bar runs from 10 am every morning and closes at 11 pm for Sundays through Wednesdays, and closes at 12 am on Thursdays, and 1 am for fridays and saturdays. Food is served noon until 10 pm every day. The pub has its own onsite car park so parking is usually not a problem. William IV is part the the St. Austell Brewery Company. The pub is pretty elaborate, having Sky TV, pool tables, fruit machines, quiz machines, food served, real ale, outside seating in a patio, etc. Overall though, the pub is not any more distinct or different than dime a dozen pubs. Rating 3 stars out of 5.

Yak & Yeti Truro: Yak & Yeti

by leafmcgowan Written Aug 5, 2010

It was my first night wandering around Truro, during my first vacation in Cornwall. Truro was a quiet town and unfortunately, many of the restaurants closed by 6/6:30 pm ... and just as I was about to settle for some more English standard pub fare, I spied this little gem. Himalayan\Nepalese\Indian Cuisine - and they were open - much later than most restaurants in Truro. According to the web site, it apparently stays open until 11:30 pm. (23:30) While the staff didn't seem to be that great with their English, the service was great, prompt, friendly, and efficient. The food was quite tasty and a welcoming break from the English meals I had been dining on pretty solid since this trip to Europe. I feasted on the lamb tikka masala ... it was quite excellent. Definitely a pleasing dining experience. Rating: 4 stars out of 5.

Favorite Dish: Lamb Tikka Masala

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Old Globe: Pub Christmas Festivities

by Bwana_Brown Updated Jan 26, 2007

Exterior view of the Old Globe pub

I met my wife and her sister in downtown Truro on a Friday lunchtime two days before Christmas, so we decided to have a look around to see what was available for a pub meal. We did not really like the bleak interior looks of the first (non-pub) restaurant we checked out and then found that the next two pubs were full to the gills as people were winding up the work week a trifle early for the long weekend! However, we continued to trapse along the sidewalks until we came across the Old Globe pub (renamed by new owners in 2002 from the Famous Old Globe). It looked like a possibility because it was not yet crammed with customers. We were able to find ourselves a seat in a large room near the entrance, but the servers warned us that a large group of people was due to arrive in the room shortly to enjoy a reserved Christmas party! This was no problem, so we ordered and paid for our meal at the counter near the back end of the pub and then proceeded to our small corner table.

Favorite Dish: While we sipped on glasses of wine (ladies) and I enjoyed a nice pint of Bass Bitter, the excited Christmas crowd soon arrived. However, it was not long afterward that the server arrived with our order - a Bacon & Brie Jacket Potato for me (3.95 GBP) and two Tuna-based dishes for the ladies. As the server brought the food, he asked if we had ordered "(unintelligible) Jacket Potato and Tuna 'whatevers' " over the din of the party-goers and I said yes, that's the one. As the ladies enjoyed their food and I got stuck into my meal, I was wondering why it also looked and tasted like Tuna instead of Bacon & Brie flavour I was expecting! Shortly thereafter, the server came back wondering whether I had received the wrong order. I told him it was too late now and finished it off!! Oh well, it was not a bad meal at 18 GBP (US$32) for the three of us and the room had a nice atmosphere with the office party crowd enjoying themselves. I wonder who got my order though?

• Saffron's: Great local produce!

by scattyc Written Sep 22, 2006

This is by far and away one of the best restaurants in Truro. Its small and family run by Nic and Traci Tinney who do a great job of using only local produce where possible. Consequently, the menu is based on seasonal produce which is as fresh as can be and this is reflected in the quality of the food. All meals are started with their home made bread but do not worry there is no danger of over-indulging before your meal arrives as unfortantly, the bread basket holds only a few slices of very thinly cut (but delicious) bread. The very best thing about Saffron's is their early supper menu, which is from 1700-1900. For a very reasonable 9.95 pds you get 2 courses and a glass of house wine. Absolute bargain. Reservations are recommened! Unusually, Saffron's have an excellent beer list and I would recommend the fruit beers.....though they might be a bit sweet for everyones taste.

Favorite Dish: As for a favourite dish, I am delighted to say that I don't have one. Delighted because it means the menu changes with the season and they use produce when it is at its very best. Fantastic.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Bensons: Cathedral Refectory

by sandysmith Written May 17, 2003

Bensons Restaurant started life as the Cathedral Refectory, which formed part of the Cathedral’s Ministry of Hospitality.
    It has a good reputation in Truro for good quality food at reasonable prices and we certainly found that to be true.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed a coronation chicken baguette - it was huge anfd the filling went to the bottom of the bread. The tuna and sweetcorn ones were equally delicious - cost in 2003 was £3 and well worth it!

Instant Answers: Truro

Comments

Truro Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Truro restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Truro sightseeing.