Durham Shopping

• 78Eva's Profile Photo

Royal Quays Outlets: CHEAP shopping at the Tynemouth

by 78Eva Written Feb 24, 2004

Map

There is a great outlet centre right next to where the ferries leave in Newcastle/Tyneside. I unfortunately only discovered it when I left, but that was a great shopping spree I had then. I bought lots of clothes, and very good brands for very little money. My boyfriend was saying all the women there were like vultures circling their prey, but o well, he was pretty keen on the bookshops himself.
    The outlet centre seems pretty new and looks nice. You can shop and the hop right on the ferry.
    Had I known about this earlier, I would have gone shopping there much more often during my year in Durham!

What to buy: Clothes.

What to pay: You can make some REAL deals here.

• Cruise
    • Study Abroad

• 78Eva's Profile Photo

Supermarkets: Food shopping around Durham

by 78Eva Written Feb 24, 2004

Spennymoor

Students need to eat, and the shops in Durham are mostly small and expensive.
    It took us a while to figure out where to best go food-shopping, but in the end it was Spennymoor, a little town outside Durham, easily accessible from our little village Coxhoe and from Durham itself. There is ASDA, Aldi, co-op etc.
    Of course this is only really possible if you have a car.

What to buy: Food, household stuff.

What to pay: Probably less than anywhere else.

• Study Abroad

• steventilly's Profile Photo

Market Hall: Indoor Market (II)

by steventilly Written Nov 20, 2002

Inside The Market Hall

You go in through ancient stone archways into a hall set behind the the main market square.

What to buy: Indside is the usual things - meat, fish, veg, clothes, records, books, andtiques, electrics... A typical English market.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Durham Indoor Market: A fine indoor market.

by planxty Written Jun 25, 2013
    Indoor Market, Durham, UK.

I know that I rarely write shopping tips as it is no secret here on Virtual Tourist that I hate shopping although I do have a great fondness for markets. When I was wandering round Durham fairly aimlessly one day it was therefore pretty certain that I would check out the Indoor Market when I saw it.

The Market building itself is impressive, built in 1851 and obviously fairly recently refurbished, it is a Victorian delight. The stalls themselves aren't bad either with a vast range from food to toys, tools, clothing, bric-a-brac and even a couple of rather good musical instrument stalls. Naturally, I had to stop and check out the guitars!

If all the shopping makes you hungry or thirsty there is a pleasant looking little cafe on the premises.

There are accessible toilets and baby changing facilities on-site.

The market is open 0900 - 1700 Monday to Saturday and 1100 - 1600 on a Bank Holiday.

If shopping is your thing, you will love this place.

What to buy: Just about anything, there is a huge selection of stalls.

What to pay: The prices seemed to be about comparable with the shops.

Instant Answers: Durham

Comments

Durham Shopping

Reviews and photos of Durham shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Durham sightseeing.