Ambleside Restaurants

by MartinSelway

Most Recent Restaurants in Ambleside

• Lucys on a Plate: Burnt Potatoes at Ambleside

by thechaosproject Written Apr 12, 2007

Lucy's is supposed to be excellent. It is certainly impressive, for example, that Lucy herself was on the floor during the evening, which may signify a cheering personal touch; and my girlfriend's wine was excellent. However, it could also be taken that there were problems in the restaurant that evening that needed sorting out by the proprietor.

MAINS: My girlfriend's guinea fowl itself was fine. However, the four roast potatoes arranged at the corners of the plate were both soggy and burnt. At this point we probably should have said something, but our reserved English temperament got in the way.
    My Bobotie tasted of an unflavoured cottage pie. I would imagine that it should taste very much of the spices and fruit that are supposed to be in it. The strongest flavour was of canned tomatoes. It was unctuous. The fresh salad that accompanied it was much better, although the dollops of taramasalata on top were too heavy. Didn't stop me eating it, though, as I have a big mouth. (Not big enough to complain, still).

DESSERTS: My girlfriends Tiramisu was criminal. She said it tasted of uncooked cake mix. It certainly did not resemble an Italian dessert visually. Nor did it contain a hint of any alcohol whatsoever.
    I had the raspberry pavlova, as it was placed enticingly at the top of the menu and referred to as the star pudding. The only merit to it was its immensity - otherwise it was pedestrian.

SERVICE: Execrable. This is obviously not Lucy's fault, as she was telling off waitresses!

THE END: Lucy, endearingly, asked us how the meal was as we left. I said, and I quote: "Uuunnnnhhh... OK." I hope my 'Unnh' conveyed my crushing disappointment. All for over £65 - not exactly value for money for large portions of unexciting food, with a very erratic level of adequacy in the cooking. In my mind, I can't help fantasising that we complained during the main course and left. It will shame me forever that we did not.

• DocJules's Profile Photo

Lucy's on a plate: Once discovered - Never forgotten!

by DocJules Updated Dec 19, 2004

Absolutely fantastic food in wonderful surroundings. Make sure you book in advance to feature on the daily menu!

Favorite Dish: Figgy and Piggy
    plump italian figs, warmed together with mozarella and Waberwaite air dried ham!

• MartinSelway's Profile Photo

APPLE PIE EATING HOUSE & BAKERY: Much more than Apple Pie

by MartinSelway Updated Oct 9, 2004

Apple Pie Shop, Ambleside

This place is a must if you are passing through Ambleside. You'll proably spot it by the queue outside the door! The food is baked by them and served either as take-away or eat in. Here you will find some of the freshest, most generously portioned, good value for money food in the lakes.

The Cafe side of the business is located on several floors and is nearly always busy. Place your order downstairs and they bring your order to the table. They major on fresh, simple, home made cafe style food.

Favorite Dish: There's no way I can mention only one!

For starters there is the house speciality - apple pie. That is great and comes in the usual as well as spiced variety.

The date slices are awesome.

But proably best of all is the Bath Bun: a beautifully fresh bread with more sultanas and cherries folded in than you may think reasonable. Mostly they are large and occasionally massive. You won't be disappointed - unless you come late and then they will proably be sold out!

Instant Answers: Ambleside

Comments

Ambleside Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ambleside restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ambleside sightseeing.