Barrow in Furness Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Barrow in Furness

Strawberry Hotel: Typical Pub Menu

by nickandchris Updated Apr 18, 2013
    All day breakfast.

We have eaten at the Strawberry Hotel in Barrow twice recently, both times with our sons who have healthy appetites.

The pub is large with plenty of dining space but i have to say on both occassions the place was not fantastically warm.

The menu offers a good variety of meals from burgers to baguettes and there are different offers on on different days. Two meals for £7.95 is a good deal but this only applies to a limited menu. Baguettes were around the £4 mark and burgers from £4.50. There was a deal a burger and a drink which seemed good value but as we had ordered our drinks first and later the food, this did not apply. Stupid us.

2013 Update.No two for £7.95 but various deals on different days.
    This visit we ate: beef and ale pie - £5.29. Verdict; too much thick pastry and hardly any meat.
    Meet and eat burger - £7.49. Verdict; good. Two 1/4 pounders, bacon and cheese and corn on the cob and chips, served with a BBQ sauce.
    Pulled pork baguette and chips - £5.64. Verdict; the meat was fairly tasteless, could have been any meat.

OK if not expecting haute cuisine.

Favorite Dish: I had Hunters chicken which is a chicken breast wrapped in bacon, cheese and bbq sauce. This was served with chips and a lettuce leaf. Nothing special and the chips were not homemade. The boys had burgers which they devoured and seemed pretty hefty and Nick had the breakfast which looked ok and he certainly enjoyed it but had no blackpudding.

One thing that annoyed me was when ordering you are asked if you want certain things with it, ie; did we want onion rings with the burgers or chips with a baguette (previous occassion.) The way it is asked, you presume it is in the price but be careful, it isn't.

Overall not a bad place for fairly ordinary pub grub and not bad value.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo

Princess Selandia: Land Ahoy....

by nickandchris Updated Apr 18, 2013

Entrance to

This floating restaurant used to be a train ferry, plying to and fro in the Baltic, until it became redundant. It was later turned into a floating restaurant and years later, brought to Barrow by a Barrow entrepeneur and refurbed once again as a restaurant and night club.

Nowadays, it is moored in Town Quay, next to Morrison's carpark and is a restaurant come night club. A la carte meals are served in the 50's style restaurant and pub type meals in the lounge bar. The ship (as the locals call it) also has a sun deck where meals and drinks are served, complete with bouncy castle to keep the children amused.

The only thing I wasn't keen on was the piped music and the lighting wasn't overly bright.

Parking for two hours is allowed in Morrison's carpark.

Favorite Dish: I've now eaten here three times, once with my dad, sister and our two boys and more recently, with Nick and Philip.

There is a good and interesting choice of food, realistically priced.There is a two meals for £7 offer, again with a good choice and a children's menu. The lounge bar was busy on our last visit, with most tables occupied and a fair number of children eating. Service to begin with, was a little slow, ordering took around 15 mins but things bucked up once we had put our order in.

Nick and I opted for the two meals deal and he had gammon etc. whereas I opted for the spicy Mexican Fajitas. This was a good choice, tender chicken fillet wrapped in tortilla, covered in melted cheese and served with salad and coleslaw. Delicious and made a nice change.

NOV. 2007 UPDATE:
    On one occasion in August we attempted to eat here and were totally ignored for 20 mins so we upped and left.
    Last weekend (Nov. 10th) we gave the place another go and I am pleased to say we had good service and excellent food. Nick had an enormous portion of delicious cold roast ham, fried ggs and chips, Philip had the Tex Mex burger and I had a smoky chicken and cheese melt baguette. Served with salad and a large pot of decent coleslaw. With two pints of cider and two cokes, the bill was just over £17. Not bad.

2013: CLOSED.

• Cruise

• Skillsbus's Profile Photo

Abbey Mill café: Locally made food

by Skillsbus Written Oct 5, 2012

Visit Abbey Mill coffee shop to experience the most divine, homemade, local cuisine. Here they provide catering of the highest standards and believe in the best quality for the customers.
    The delicous scones, cranberry teacakes & homemade cakes are baked onsite daily and are ready for you to enjoy with your freshly prepared latte, cappuccino, hot chocolate or choice of teas.

• Archeology
    • Seniors

• metahli: worst experience ever dont go

by wash76 Updated Jan 29, 2012

Myself and the fiance go to cumbria every christmas for a weekend to relax just before the big day this year we went to barrow, this is the second time, and we go for a child free relax and to have a good drink ,were from near bradford so the place is simalar to us just different scenery, we like a good curry as were near bradford curry capital and seen the review so we thought give it a go, DONT i can only describe this place as terrible the food wasnt all that it was like a microwave curry the waiter hovered over you like a vulture they had my pants down with the larger charged me ni on 5 quid for the kingfisher larger they offered me thinking its all they had, he must have asked us 7 times do you want some rice like it was on special all you are to them is money the poppadom trays round here are free they want you to pay but dont mention that when they stick it in front of you i felt really on edge, look go for a chinese or have a curry from YATES at least you wont feel robbed the roof leaked in it was like faulty towers the larger is £1.20 in aldi i told the owner he would go bust in one week near us it was the worst experience ever and ive eaten currys all over the place

Favorite Dish: none they will all be poor

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Owl & Pussycat: Great Place for Carvery!

by spidermiss Updated Sep 16, 2011

Owl and Pussy Cat Pub/Restaurant

My Aunty took me there for a carvery. It's a chain pub that has a restaurant/family section. We paid around 6 gbp each for the carvery and a drink.

Favorite Dish: The carvery consisted of turkey, gammon and beef, vegetables and potatoes alongside the usual condiments.

The portions were generous and it was an enjoyable and satisfying meal.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo

Yates Wine Lodge: Definitely An Experience....!!!

by nickandchris Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Yates's

As we were in Barrow and had managed to get parked for an hour, we decided to give this place a try. Menus are displayed outside and we wewre attracted by the two meals for £5.95. Unbelievable, how can they do that?

Upon walking in, we noticed the place was throbbing.The atmosphere was like some city centre pub, noisy with conversation. The furniture was rather caf like and the floor bare. The bar was large and brightly lit. We found a vacant table and perused the menu. The choice was large, ranging from soup, salads, baguettes, paninis, as well as grilled and cooked dishes.

Favorite Dish: We opted for the big breakfast and the chicken and bacon melt, all for £5.95.

Nick's breakfast was vast, two sausages, two rashers of bacon, two eggs, mushrooms, beans and chips and a grilled tomato. His only negative comment was the grease running over his plate from the mushrooms. My chicken was a breast (frozen, I suspect and slightly dry) smothered in a BBQ sauce, melted cheese and bacon and came with peas, frozen chips and a grilled tomato. The overall meal was not too bad and for the money, certainly no complaints. I was rather put off when the lady at the next table sneezed and I felt droplets land on my hand, I guess it must also have gone in my food. The other strange factor was the clientele, noisy older people out for cheap booze.I won't say anymore apart from feeling like we were going to end up in the middle of a fight!!

We must have been undercgarged because our total bill, meal and a pint and a haf of cider came to £8 25!!!

The staff were efficient and friendly but overall, the place does not offer a particularly pleasant ambience for dining.

• Wine Tasting

• nickandchris's Profile Photo

Mithali: Attentive Service, Good Food......

by nickandchris Updated Apr 12, 2010

With our elder son being home for a couple of days, it was time we enjoyed a family meal out. As we all like Indian food, we chose the Mithali Indian restaurant, which we had been to many, many years ago when said son was about five.

One other table was occuppied in the small, cosy dining area but by the time we left, about five more had been filled. We were shown to our table, given menus and ordered our drinks within moments of our arrival. Hardly had we had time to peruse the menu when we were asked if we were readty to order. No, we weren't. As we crunched on the excellent poppadums dripping with chutney, we eventually came to our decisions on what to order.

We all enjoyed our meals, the food was certainly good and the portions decent. We were stuffed by the time we had finished and we'd only had a main meal, no starters! Our only gripe, and that was from our son who is used to London dining, was the over-attention we received. I know this shouldn't be a complaint but we did feel we were constantly being swooped upon. This didn't stop us enjoying our meal though and we wouldn't have been happy had the service been the opposite way and lacking in attention. I guess there is a happy medium somewhere.

Favorite Dish: We all had poppadums and chutneys to start. Excellent, melt in the mouth stuff.

Nick had: Chicken madras: £4.65
    I had Chicken rogan josh: £4.65
    Philip had: Prawn rogan josh
    Michael had: Chicken tikka korai:£7.65
    Garlic naan
    Peshwari naan
    Pilau rice

I must say the naan were some of the best we've had in a while, as was my rogan josh. Praise from Michael, saying it was the best curry he'd had for a while, so better than London's offerings.

• Business Travel

• nickandchris's Profile Photo

Crofters, Holbeck.: Superb Value, Good Cooking.

by nickandchris Updated Nov 24, 2009
    Crofters, external view.

This one time farmhouse has been a pub for a good many years and seems to have a good following. Being situated in a modern housing estate, it's clientele won't have far to walk!

We opted to try out the bar meals one Saturday lunchtime, having seen a feature on the place in the local paper.

We weren't too sure what to expect but outside impressions were good, a huge garden area with various old stone sheds converted into smoking areas, a bbq area and another lawned area. On entering, we were amazed how large the place was. We were met by a young waitress who gave us a menu and showed us to a table. The decor was not particularly to our taste, with garish plastic fruits and other such arrangements, draped about the place and the furniture was ultra modern. We did discover a pleasant lounge area looking out on to the back of the building when we left but the dining area is seperate.

The reason for our trying this place was the £3.50 meals, which were on offer Saturdays as well as week days. Many other places offers don't usually include Saturdays so we jumped at this opportunity for a reasonably priced meal out. There was an excellent choice, including braised steak, liver and onions, chilli, lasagne, gammon, sausages, and a choice of three pies, I think. As well as this menu, there was another menu which seemed to include some of these dishes but presumably larger portions as they cost more.

Service was good and the wait for our meal was not too long but long enough to get the feeling the food was being freshly cooked. I have to say, my braised steak and onions, served with either mash or real chips, was excellent, really tasty and the chips were wonderful. Nick opted for gammon, which came with pineapple and this was also good. For the price, we had no complaints, the portions were just the right size for a meal at lunch time and it was nice to see plain, good, real food on offer at an excellent price.

Our visit was between 1pm and 2pm and it was a Saturday. We were surprised the place wasn't full, but there were only a few tables occuppied.

Favorite Dish: We both really enjoyed what we had and look forward to returning and sampling some of the other dishes.

Two pints of cider cost £6.15, as we don't drink out these days, I'm not sure if that is the going price.

Just paid a second visit here for lunch, again on a Saturday. This time the place was busy but fotunately, most people had been served by the time we ordered, around 1.15pm. The food arrived within 15 mins and again was very tasty and good value. I ordered the steak and kidney pie which was a piece from a plate pie and served with a seperate boat of gravy (unfortunately plastic but better than nothing) and Nick opted for the cod, chips and mushy peas. He said the batter was very light and the fish of a good texture so he was happy enough.

There is now a £4.50 menu offering larger portions of the £3.50 deals.

• Wine Tasting

The Ambrose Hotel: Just Good Food

by nickandchris Updated Sep 19, 2007

Steak and ale pie

We decided to go for a family pub lunch last Saturday, before Michael returned to Uni. We opted for the Ambrose Hotel in Barrow, as the menu looked decent and the offer was two main meals for £8.50.

The place was empty, although one other couple arrived during our meal. We wondered whether this was an ominous sign but we needn't have worried, things turned out well.

Tables are set in a seperate area but you can actually sit anywhere in the pub. As it was a little gloomy, we sat at a large table by a window. Plenty of room to spread out and see what you are eating!!!!!

A young female in a waitress uniform served us with drinks and took our order at the bar. First thing (and only) to go wrong, no cold ham platter!!

Favorite Dish: Philip had the enormous cheese burger with an attractive dressed salad. Very juicy burger and served with good old REAL chips.

Michael had fish and chips which was hake. Again, served with the salad and chips. He mentioned the batter as being particularly good.

Nick and I had the steak and ale pie which came in a dish with a puff pastry lid and was extremely hot. Fresh vegs. served seperately were roasted parnips, cauliflower and carrots and again the real chips. My only complaint was that some of the meat was not as tender as it should have been. I must also say the plates were hot which made a nice change!

We all thought the meal was good and the service better than a lot of places. I just wonder why it was so empty??

Lunch served 12 - 14.00pm
    Dinner served17.00 - 21.00pm.

Iesha's Take Away: Simply Fantastic

by nickandchris Updated Mar 21, 2007

Outside Iesha's

A great Indian take away in Barrow that has the advantage of being open from 4.30pm. This means if you have been shopping on a Friday afternoon in Barrow, it's easy enough to pre-order your meal and collect from 4.30 onwards, to either eat immediately or stick in the oven later on.

The place is open plan so you can see the cooking taking place, which I think is a nice touch.

Very friendly and efficient staff.

For those who don't eat Indian, there are the odd few concessions to fast food; burgers, chicken and chips. But why bother??

Deliveries available at a charge.

Closed Mondays.

Favorite Dish: Chicken rogan josh. The flavours are superb. I must say, I only ever have chicken in an Indian take away and it's tender, juicy and plentiful in Iesha's meals.

The garlic and peshwari nans are absolutely fantastic. There seems to be an excellent bread cook at Iesha's.

• Firestar24's Profile Photo

Paulo Giannis: Italian Two

by Firestar24 Written Jul 17, 2006

Paulo Giannis

This is my favourite Italian in Barrow. Along with a really nice subtle atmosphere, this restaurant serves great pizzas and pastas and has a good cafe bar next door. They do good cocktails and fantastic coffee. Paulo's also does an Early Bird special from 5pm - 7pm. The specials menu sometimes has some interesting dishes on and they have had a really good ostrich dish with a rich red wine sauce. The Gnocchi is pretty impressive too.

• Firestar24's Profile Photo

Salvanos: Italian One

by Firestar24 Written Jul 17, 2006

Salvanos

Salvanos is a good reasonably priced Italian in the town centre. They serve good pasta, pizza and Ice Creams. The Early Bird Special is excellent value available from 5pm to 7pm.

The best thing about Salvanos is that if it's full (and it does get quite busy) Paulo Giannis, The Mathali & The Diamond are just round the corner.

• cherrie18's Profile Photo

Paulo Giannis: the little italian

by cherrie18 Written Jan 4, 2006

this is a vey good place, the food is great and reasonably priced. there is a wide chice on the menu. every table has a candle on it, the lights are low and there is always traditional itilian music playing in the background.

Favorite Dish: my favorite dishes are the spag bol and the ham and pinapple pizza!!!!! heaven!!!!

Instant Answers: Barrow in Furness

Comments

Barrow in Furness Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Barrow in Furness restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Barrow in Furness sightseeing.

View all Barrow in Furness hotels