Keswick Nightlife

• Galahad's Profile Photo

Theatre by the Lake

by Galahad Updated Aug 17, 2005

Theatre by the Lake 1.8.05

This theatre used to be called The Blue Box and was a series of trailers arranged so that they formed a large proceneum. Now Keswick has a theatre to be proud of.
    In August 2005 I went to see a spoof crime play called "Dick Barton Special Agent".

Dress Code: Smart casual

• Theater Travel

Pubs Galore: Pubs Galore

Main Street, Keswick

There are loads of pubs in Keswick, most of them clustered around Main Street and Market Square, with some down Lake Road and others still scattered around side & back streets.
    The pubs are mostly good, some are excellent, especially the Jennings ones. OK, I'm biased, this is my favourite UK brewer and their beers are superb. The food at most Keswick pubs is quite good. Often not "cordon bleu" but good and filling and at a fair price.
    The pubs can get full, especially at weekends, and if you intend to eat it's best to get there quite early or you won't get a seat. In fact, most pubs stop serving food by 8:30 or 9pm, so if you're more used to continental times, don't get caught out here.
    I'll give some of my favourite places in the other tips.

Dress Code: Anything.

Packhorse Inn: Packhorse Inn

Packhorse Inn

And yet another Jenning pub. Well, they ARE the local brewer after all. This pub is nice, it's on a few levels and even has a kind of mezzanine floor at one end. The food is really good too - I once had a Mushroom Pepper Pot here that was divine!
    They host quiz nights now & then (don't ask me what night, I can't remember) and that was a lot of fun for me, Sue & Sabs, though sadly we didn't win.

The Dog & Gun: The Dog & Gun

Dog & Gun

Wheyhey, NOT a Jennings Pub!
    Dunno what it is, it WAS Hartley's I think, but they are no more. Sells a variety of guest real ales and quite good food too. Nice fire in the winter, a bare slate floor and sturdily beamed interior give it a certain "rustic charm".

The Bank Tavern: The Bank Tavern

Bank Tavern, Keswick

A great Jennings pub serving a good range of this brewers beers. Almost all are "real ales" and the quality of the is excellent. My favourite is Sneck Lifter, a strong, dark ale though I'm also partial to Cocker Hoop, a totally different light, alsmost honeyish ale.
    Never eaten here, but the food looks to be good. The pub is warm, friendly and welcoming.

The Four In Hand: The Four In Hand

Four In Hand

Another great pub from Jennings and I can also add that I've eaten here several times and never been disappointed. Usally has about 5 ales from the Jennings stable, as always Sneck Lifer is my favourite...

The Lake Road Inn: The Lake Road Inn

Lake Road Inn

And yet another Jennings pub. This one is kinda my favourite (for some reason). Smaller, more "packed" than the others, usuall standing room only by the time I get there, but friendly, bustling and noisey. Can't usually resist having a pint in there.

Oddfellows Arms: Oddfellows Arms

Oddfellows Arms

Set on two floors, the upper floor as I recall being more suited for eating than downstairs, though that wasn't compulsory. The food at this pub was the cheapest and also the most basic that we had. Much more of a "pre-prepared" feel to it, and kind of old-fashioned veggie choices (veggie lasagne, broccoli bake, stuff we thought was "inventive" 15 years ago...). That's not to denegrade it too much. If cheap-and-cheerful is what you want or best fits your budget then go for it. We did.
    I can't remember a thing about the beer at this pub, though it is Jennings so it will be good.

Instant Answers: Keswick

Comments

Keswick Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Keswick nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Keswick sightseeing.