Lake District National Park Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Lake District National Park

• eddilowe's Profile Photo

The White Lion Hotel: Good basic pub food!

by eddilowe Updated Jan 3, 2013
    White Lion Hotel, Ambleside

The White Lion is part of the Ember Inns chain. It's a family pub which also offers accommodation. You choose your own table, choose your food then order and pay at the bar. There is no need to book a table.

The food was nice and the pub was busy which is a fair indication. It's nothing especially out of the ordinary but will serve you well for a few drinks and a simple meal.

Link to Current menu (Jan 2013)

For 2 diet cokes, a shared starter, 2 mains with an upgrade to wedges rather than chips (very nice) and 2 desserts we paid £37 total. Not bad at all for 3 courses and a couple of soft drinks.

Do check the website beforehand as they do a lot of special offers on certain days, vouchers and so on so you could save some money.

Favorite Dish: The Timothy Taylor Ale Pie is a pretty good main meal. The hot Belgian waffle with ice cream and cream for dessert is really yummy!

The Britannia Inn: Great Pub in Elterwater

by eddilowe Updated Jan 3, 2013

Excellent food, slightly more expensive than your everyday pub but it's locally produced and homemade. As a guide, on my last visit in December 2012 I paid £48 for 2 large diet cokes, 2 starters and 2 main courses (so £24 per person for 2 courses and a soft drink).

The building is well in excess of 200 years old and you get that feeling of an old building with history when you're inside. Nice atmosphere, very cosy. It can get really busy for food so it may be advisable to book a table.

In winter its nice to sit in the little room by the log fire to warm up.

They now offer B&B which they didnt years ago when I first visited.

Favorite Dish: There is a sample menu on their website.

• Getcarlos's Profile Photo

Lucy's on a Plate: Great Individual Dishes in a Romantic Setting

by Getcarlos Written Nov 29, 2011

We have been to Ambleside a number of times and in the past have never been able to get a table at Lucy's, luckily its not too busy on Tuesday Evenings in late November. The restaurant itself is cosy, in the front it only has around 10-12 tables and menus are printed daily but the selection is always great and there are a number of unique dishes availible.

The food is all cooked from fresh so there is a little wait from ordering, but the wine is good so there is no need to rush! I ordered Porche MNX (Posh Ham and Eggs) which consisted of Ham Terrine, A Scotch Egg, Mushy peas and Chips, now normally in a Lake District pub a similar meal would cost around £10-12 but this was £16 and well worth the extra cost. My wife had a Lasagne with salad and Garlic Bread, again freshly cooked and having had a try i would have to say it is one of the meatyest lasagne's i have ever had.

Although you do not get a significant size portion, the food is delicious and both of us left very satisfied and very impressed with the food and service from the Restaurant.

Favorite Dish: There were so many other great dished on the menu, the Lam Shank on the table next to us looked delicious. As the dishes change daily you will always have a good choice.

• Jintana Thai Restaurant: Best Thai in the Lake District

by ithai Written Aug 30, 2011

An amazing place in a beautiful town. Jintanas is almost hidden away, on the fisrt floor on the hill of bowness. inside its really well decorated with thai carvings and art. the staff were friendly and dressed in thai uniforms. food was amazing, as good as good food in Thailand. we will definately be going back when next in the lakes

Favorite Dish: alls good, but we tried mussamun tofu, green curry and pad kee mao. all amazing washed down with a bottle of Singha and then a Beer Lao. Perfection

Granny Dowbekins Tearoom: Great Tearoom & Garden - Pooley Bridge,Ullswater

by eddilowe Updated Mar 1, 2011

Stopped for a cup of tea and a bit of cake. Quaint is the word I'd use to describe it. It looks like they've literally just turned someone's front rooms into a tearoom in this house. It was very welcoming and cosy and the proprietor was friendly.

Lots of choice of homemade cakes/scones etcte on offer and a big menu. It was too cold to investigate but they have a a garden too with tables/seats by the river Eamont which I'm sure is lovely in warmer weather.

Favorite Dish: We had a hot chocolate and a piece of cake which was very nice indeed!

The Ramblers Bar (Inn on the Lake): Slightly Disappointing Pub in Glenridding

by eddilowe Written Mar 1, 2011

The Ramblers bar is at the back of the Inn on the Lake which is on the banks of Ullswater, near to Aira Force.

We only popped in for a hot drink and it was very quiet (though it was midweek in the afternoon in winter so bound to be quiet). The tea and coffee was actually really nicely presented when it arrived. Usually when you ask for a tea and a coffee the person getting the tea gets a better deal because you tend to get a pot and the person wanting coffee just usually ends up with a cup but both were brought to the table in seperate Denby pots with jugs of milk etc. It was expensive though.

Unfortunately I found there to be no ambience at all, it felt quite unwelcoming to be honest though there was no particular reason I could put my finger on. The bar staff drifted in and out to the hotel side and it was all just a bit "cold". I wouldn't hurry to return, I'd probably pop into the Travellers Rest instead?

Favorite Dish: Didnt have any food.

Esquires: Great Coffee House in Ambleside

by eddilowe Updated Mar 1, 2011
    Esquires in Ambleside

We visited the the area at the end of November so it was really cold. We stopped in mbleside on the way to the cottage in Elterwater as were too early to get into our cottage. We were walking past Esquires and noticed a sign in the window for free Wi-Fi so we popped in for a drink and to use the internet. We were so impressed we ended up going back every evening for a few hours to sit on the sofa and chill out with a few hot chocolates and to upload photographs etc etc.

All the staff were friendly and pleasant and chatty, there was a nice atmosphere, it was clean and you just needed to request the password and you could log on to their Wi-Fi freely. I think they also had a couple of PCs hooked up to use too. There is seating upstairs too.

Even when we were the very last people in the shop before they closed we were never, ever made to feel unwelcome so the staff could clear up and get home, even though I know a couple of them lived miles away! So consequently we were actually happy to let them clear up round us. We genuinely miss Esquires in Ambleside.

Favorite Dish: The large hot chocolate with loads of cream and a flake ... perfect to warm up after being out and about in the cold. I bought one of their large mugs so that I could try and recreate the experience at home!

• zuriga's Profile Photo

Lucy's On A Plate: Casual and fun menu

by zuriga Written May 4, 2010

Lucy seems to have a real food empire in the Ambleside area... restaurants, wine bar, catering and cookery school. We ate at her largest venue.. Lucy's On A Plate. The service is attentive, and the menu large and filled with international favorites.. tagine, fish, lamb etc. The dessert menu is among the largest, I think, in the world! I think this is one of the better choices in Ambleside.

Best to book ahead - it's a busy place.

• zuriga's Profile Photo

The Queen's Head: Wonderful Gastropub

by zuriga Written Apr 29, 2010

The Queen's Head is probably one of the best restaurants in Hawkshead - in the Lake District. It's a short ride from Ambleside and Windermere and won't disappoint. The chef has his menu down pat, and the lamb from local animals is superb as was a chicken dish eaten by my companion. We had a delicious apple pie with warm custard for dessert and a starter of perfectly cooked scallops.

Food is served in both the pub area and a more formal dining room.. book ahead!

This is Beatrix Potter country so a good spot before or after seeing her world. There are some charming shops in the town, especially the very good Hawkshead Relish Company!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo

Anglers Arms, Haverthwaite.: Ideal For Haverthwaite Steam Railway

by nickandchris Updated Apr 12, 2010

Homemade burger and onion rings

This pub is located just off the main A590, opposite the Lakeside anbd Haverthwaite steam train attraction.It is also in good walking country so handy for a stop off whilst out for a walk.

I pass this pub frequently on my walk to the nursing home my father lives at. We decided to pay it a visit for a pub lunch whilst our elder son was home for a few days over Easter.

The pub part is cosy with a real fire and there is also a seperate dining area, bright and airy. There is also an upstairs function room available for hire.Menu specials are on a blackboard and there are two other menus, one more snack type and the other full meals.

There appeared to be one person on duty, behind both bars, as well as serving the meals. This did not make service particularly slow although it could have been had there been a rush on.

As we ate our lunch three more tables were filled and when I paid for the meal, I asked how business had been. It had been excellent, I waas told, whereas many other places had not fared too well over Easter.

Favorite Dish: Our party opted for:
    Coffee: £1.75

Drinks:
    Half of Strongbow cider: £1.55
    Pint of Carlsberg: £3.15

My baguette was full of chicken and cheese, I have to admit I don't recall the bacon! It was served with a dressed salad and tortilla chips. Very tasty.

The cheese burger was served with chips, salad and enormous, home made battered onion rings and went down exceptionally well.

The children's battered chicken strips was real breast of chicken, not reconstructed rubbish.

If you look at the web site, a full menu is viewable.

We certainly all enjoyed our meal and would return/

• nickandchris's Profile Photo

Bridge Inn, Santon Bridge: Quality Food, Good Ambience.

by nickandchris Written Oct 6, 2009

The Inn on the River Irt

We were invited to a surprise 40th birthday party at this pub. We had booked into the campsite next door with our motorhome but upon arrival, found the site to be totally unsuitable, an extremely wet and muddy field we would have got bogged down in. Tentatively we enquired at the pub if we could stay overnight on their carpark. No problems. said the friendly bar manager.We actually ended up with a superbly quiet overnight pitch looking out onto the river.And at no cost.

The party went extremely well, with around twelve adults and numerous highly excited children all enjoying a lovely meal in the function room.

Most of the other guests were booked into the inn for the night, with only one couple having to leave the party to go home. The rest of us continued on until around midnight.The hotel is a lovely old coaching inn with a warm, friendly atmosphere and the bar was still going strong by the time we left, presumably with both guests and locals.

Favorite Dish: The menu here is a mixture of old favourites with a few different twists and some lovely sounding salads .There are a couple of interesting vegetarian dishes, including Kenyan coast aubergine moussaka (there is a strong Kenyan representation with some of the staff being poached from the world famous Hemmingway's Hotel in Kenya.) Starters were equally as interesting with such delectables as crab and prawn medley, seafood creviche and smoked chicken. Sweets were listed on a blackboard with apple pie, sticky toffee roulade, chocalate gateau, banoffie something or other etc. (I'm afraid I don't take too much notice of sweet things, more into savouries!!)

I chose Lamb Jennings, a shoulder of lamb marinated in Jennings beer and served on mashed potato with a delicious gravy and Nick had the 16 oz gammon, served with two fried eggs and real pineapple. Vegetables were fine beans, carrot rounds and broccoli (which I thought were a little ordinary for the delicious meat.)My lamb was superb, melt in the mouth stuff with oodles of the lovely gravy. Nick's gammon was ok if a tad salty and the chips, although real, were nothing exceptional and had lots of tiny crisp pieces.

I opted for the sticky toffee roulade which was nice but very sweet and I wish I had chosen a starter rather than ending with a pud.

All in all, an excellent meal which the multi- national staff served as efficiently as possible with wild children running around and not knowing what had been ordered for them!

The staff consisted of a Pole, three Kenyans, a Latvian, a Thai and a Brazilian!!

• barryg23's Profile Photo

George Hotel: Keswick's oldest inn

by barryg23 Written Jan 10, 2009
    Dinner in George Hotel

The George Hotel offers both accommodation and dining options. There a choice of bar-food or table service in the restaurant, and while the food is more expensive than other places in Keswick, the hotel has bags of character and is well worth a visit.

It's the oldest inn in Keswick and you can tell straight away there's a history associated with the place. We found a seat in the front bar, beside the fire, and after 7 hours walking that day, it was a great place to relax and enjoy bar food and fine beers.

The food was very filling and the portions were big (see picture). The beer was also excellent, especially the locally brewed Cumberland Ale, now one of my favourite beers.

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Boot Inn: Excellent soup

by christine.j Updated Nov 20, 2008

We stopped for lunch in this restaurant. Since it had been raining for the most part of the tour, we were all cold and ready for a warm meal. Even though the place was very busy, we were served fast and very friendly.After having had something warm to eat and drink, we felt much better and were ready to continue our tour.

Prices were very reasonable, about £ 4 for a bowl of soup and £ 2 for a coffee.

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Buckle Yeat: Tom Kitten would have liked the cake here

by christine.j Written Nov 15, 2008

Before I went to the bus stop I had a very good tea in a little restaurant called Buckle Yeat. The guest room is not large, no more than maybe eight tables there, and almost all were taken. I was lucky to get the last one and ordered a pot of tea and a piece of carrot cake. Both were very good. Had I known that I would wait at the wrong bus stop later, I would have had a second piece of cake.

This cottage was written about in the Tom Kitten tale by Beatrix Potter. Today it is also a B&B.

• miniman2804's Profile Photo

Borrowdale Hotel: Competent holiday restaurant

by miniman2804 Written May 20, 2008

Attractive, if conventional surroundings - careful decor - standard conservatory. Welcoming and helpful staff. Food was well above average I thought for a rural establishment. Good use of local produce cooked and presented competently. Wide ranging wine list. Decent coffee.

I'd be surprised if this part of the Lake District had anything better.

Price I quote below included all bar drinks before and after and a lot of wine.

Favorite Dish: I had venison casserole - very tasty, tender meat.

Instant Answers: Lake District National Park

Comments

Lake District National Park Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Lake District National Park restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lake District National Park sightseeing.

View all Lake District National Park hotels