Lake District National Park Tourist Traps

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Lake District Towns

by barryg23 Written Jun 7, 2007

Busy Bowness on Windermere

Many of the towns in the Lake District are too overcrowded and visiting them can be a frustrating experience. The real beauty of the Lake District is, in my opinion, in the remoter parts such as the lakes and mountains and the towns, if at all possible, should be avoided. Grasmere, Ambleside, Windermere and Bowness (to name just a few) were too busy to be enjoyed properly during our visits. I think of the Lake District as somewhere to escape from the crowds, and hence we saw little point exploring the towns at peak times. If you can find a quite time in any of these towns, they can be rewarding, especially Grasmere. The only problem then is that at the quiet times such as early morning or evening, most things are closed.

• Arm-Chair-Hero's Profile Photo

Busy

by Arm-Chair-Hero Written Aug 17, 2003

Problems parking my car

The only real tourist trap I saw here was that the area can get very busy. We went midweek and found it difficult to find parking places etc etc. At the weekend I should imagine it is ten times worse.
    We went to see the Peter Rabbit Museum in Windermere ( not my choice ; ) but had to give it up.....the que was just too big.

Fun Alternatives: Go early and know exactly what you want to do.....there is lots of information at the tourist offices and the people we met there was very nice and helpful

• mcharlton's Profile Photo

There are no tourist traps in...

by mcharlton Written Aug 26, 2002

There are no tourist traps in this area. Just wonderfully friendly people and beautiful scenery. This is the view of a near by town.

Instant Answers: Lake District National Park

Comments

Lake District National Park Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Lake District National Park tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lake District National Park sightseeing.

View all Lake District National Park hotels