Ilfracombe Favorites

Two Awesomes
    Definitely A Landmark!

Most Recent Favorites in Ilfracombe

• johngayton's Profile Photo

The 2nd Time In My Life I'm Gonna Use "AWESOME"

by johngayton Written May 30, 2012

Three Awesomes!

Favorite thing: The word "awesome" is a word that I hate to hear being used frivolously. To my mind it should be reserved as the superlative of superlatives and not applied to mundane things like "Awesome body" or "Awesome football game" & etc.

The first time I found a true use for the term was when I visited the Grand Canyon, the first sight of which literally took my breath away.

Yesterday, travelling between my Island and Ilfracombe on the MS Oldenburg, I found myself using the word unsarcastically for the second time. I was on my way to Bergamo for Eurmeet and in a good mood anyway and sharing my boat trip with a colleague who was leaving us was kinda poignant but fun as we shared a few beers.

Matt was just saying how he had often spotted dolphins during the crossing when suddenly a large pod of them surfaced and began frollicking alongside and around the boat. It was AWESOME - their sleekly-beautiful black bodies flashing in the early evening sunlight as the mirrored swell of the sea released them and re-engulfed them.

There must have been dozens of them, maybe even hundreds, as they gave us an unforgettable spectacle. We enjoyed them immensely and strangely I got the feeling that they too were out to enjoy themselves and the mutal pleasure was almost tangible in the sea air.

WOW - AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!!

• Eco-Tourism
    • Photography
    • Sailing and Boating

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Ilfracombe Tourist Office

by johngayton Updated Jun 29, 2009

Definitely A Landmark!

Favorite thing: As with most North Devon towns Ilfracombe has its Tourist Information Centre to help you make the most of your stay. The office is situated in the rather oddbod building which houses the Landmark Theatre (the one with the often maligned ,but certainly distinctive, concrete chimney-pot things). Here the friendly, knowledgeable local staff will help with accommodation, ideas for things to do, Lundy Island and local boat trip tickets, parking permits and even National Express coach bookings. There's also a gift shop which stocks maps, postcards, guidebooks and also sell stamps and phonecards.

This is situated on the seafront (well at the back of) - for the website click here. Also on the website is a searchable accommodation booking engine. For telephone queries the number is 01271 863001.

BTW - The theatre program looks entertaining too - www.northdevontheatres.org.uk

• Theater Travel
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Beaches

Instant Answers: Ilfracombe

Comments

Ilfracombe Favorites

Reviews and photos of Ilfracombe favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ilfracombe sightseeing.