Mortehoe Travel Guide

View From Morte Point Towards Bull Point
  • Mortehoe

Mortehoe Things to Do

• The 3 Pubs - #3 The Chichester Arms

Having had one pint in the first pub, two in the second then it seemed de rigeur to have three in the third!As so happened the Chichester comes across as the drinker's pub in the village. With its pool table, jukebox and big TV this is obviously aimed at the local trade and with a decent selection of beers suited me perfectly as a spot to while...

• The 3 Pubs - #2 The Ship Aground

After my couple of hours walking I'd worked up both a thirst and a hunger and so it was time for some more rehydration and a bite to eat.For those that know me it'll come as no surprise that as soon as I saw the fishcakes on the "Specials Board" I didn't need to bother with the rest of the menu. This is much more of a food pub than a drinkers den...

• The 3 Pubs - #1 Smugglers Rest

As I mention in my intro one thing that definitely endears me to Mortehoe is that it has three excellent pubs. Each has its own character and so attracts a slightly different type of clientele which is exactly as it should be.The first pub you come across if arriving by bus, and getting off at the Post Office, is the Smugglers Rest. The bar here is...

Mortehoe Restaurants

by johngayton Written Nov 13, 2011

I've already written this pub under "Things To Do" but hey I enjoyed my lunch here and so here's the the tip again:

This is much more of a food pub than a drinkers den but the Otter Ale (£3.20 a pint) was in perfect nick and when I mentioned to the friendly barman that I had intended to eat outside but the front patio was full he pointed me to a table in its own little sun trap of a patio at the side of the pub, overlooking the church.

That was perfect for me and when my fishcakes arrived I was suitably impressed to find that these were the real McCoy - proper homemade patties with loads of chunky bits of smoked haddock and a nice simple, but substantial, side-salad with lashings of home-made coleslaw.

At £9.50 this was particularly cheap but then it's a short season up here in North Devon and so I can forgive that. The beer was in fine fettle and relaxing in the afternoon sun resulted in me dehydrating again and so required a second which was just as good as the first.

Fishy Fishcakes Next Door To The Church
    • Beer Tasting
    • Fishing

Mortehoe Transportation

by johngayton Written Nov 13, 2011

Because Mortehoe (and also Woolacombe) are popular summer destinations there are different bus timetables in operation depending on the time of year.

Year round services run from Barnstaple (service 303) with a journey time of about 40 minutes and from Ilfracombe (service 31) with a journey time of about 30 minutes.

Both these services also stop at Woolacombe and the main bus stop in Mortehoe is opposite the Post Office. Note that the Barnstaple buses only run in one direction and so the return services use the same bus stop.

303 Service At Post Office Bus Stop Mortehoe Post Office On The Bus Going Back To Barnstaple
    • Beer Tasting

Mortehoe Shopping

• Where To Get Pretty Much Everything Else

Just up the road from the Post Office is this cute little Village Store. This is the sort of shop which every village should have as it is a Aladdin's Cave of useful bits and pieces including locally produced food and drink, beach items, toiletries and gifts/souvenirs.They also sell things like ice-cream and freshly baked pasties if you fancy a...

• Where To Get Your Postcards, Stamps And...

The Post Office here in Mortehoe is especially useful as not only do they provide the normal Post Office service but the shop doubles up as one of the local arts centres. As well as postcards you can get prints and original drawings/paintings of local scenes and of course if you want to send them home you'll find all the necessary packing materials...

• Mortehoe Hotels

0 Hotels in Mortehoe

Mortehoe Off The Beaten Path

by johngayton Written Nov 13, 2011

North Devon has some stunning beaches such as those of Croyde, Saunton Sands and Woolacombe but in the summer these can be very crowded which is fine if you like that sort of thing.

For those who prefer a more secluded beach the one at Rockham Bay is ideal. This is located about halfway between Mortehoe and Bull Point and is only accessible on foot. From Mortehoe village this is a good half hour walk, mostly downhill on the way, with a steep flight of steps at the end but the rewards are well worth the effort.

When the tide is out there's a pleasant sandy stretch and despite the fearsome-looking rocks the bay is actually relatively safe and sheltered with a gently sloping bottom. Although in Spring and early Summer the water can be quite cold it warms up towards late August and is at its warmest in September and October.

The pics here were taken in early September when I caught a gloriously sunny day and as you'll note the scene could be of a Greek Island or somewhere equally exotic.

Enjoying The Beach Enjoying The Water Sandy Stretch At Low Tide Beach Access Steps
    • Beaches
    • Hiking and Walking

Mortehoe Favorites

by johngayton Written Nov 13, 2011

Favorite thing: This is just an excuse to use the pic which is a notice on the back window of the Mortehoe Shellfish van (pic #2).

It amused me!

• Sailing and Boating
    • Fishing

Instant Answers: Mortehoe

Comments

Explore Deeper into Mortehoe
Map of Mortehoe