Paignton Restaurants

DELISH!!

Most Recent Restaurants in Paignton

Subway: Fast, Cheap and Fresh

by johngayton Written Mar 10, 2013

Even though I cook for a living, or perhaps especially because I cook for a living, I like good simple fast food. I'm not a fan of MacDonalds (tho' I DO llike Burger King) but I am a fan of Subway.

OK It's a multi-national chain place, nothing fancy, but it is a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) and is cheap.

Here in Paignton there's two branches: one central on Torbay Rd (pictured) and the other heading out of of town on Torquay Rd.

It's quite a simple system. You choose your bread, choose whether you want a six inch or twelve sandwich, choose your filling and whether you want it toasted. Then you can have it packed with as much salad as you want and dressed with a choice from about half-a-dozen dressings.

Favorite Dish: I like the "Italian BMT" (big, meaty and tasty) which is filled with pepperoni, salami and ham. I always opt for the Italian Herb and Cheese bread (freshly baked on the premises) and add the optional pepperjack cheese and have it toasted. Then a touch of lettuce, tomato, red onion, black olives, jalapenos, gherkins and dressed with whatever I'm in the mood for - sometimes the garlicky "Caesar", othertimes the "Hot Chilli".

There's usually some sort of "deal" on offer and during my last visit this was "Any 6-inch Sub plus a standard bevarage" for £3.00 - Bargain!!

• Trains

Pappa's of Paignton: Merely Satisfactory

by johngayton Written Mar 10, 2013

With a kebab takeaway strategically placed between my favourite pub (Henry's) and my hotel on the corner of Queens and Sands Rd's (St Edmunds) it was a bit of a no-brainer (literally) that I'd grab a bite to eat on my way back of an evening - I just can't walk past a kebab shop last thing of a night, after a few beers.

As kebabs go this was OK - plenty of meat, fresh-flavoured salad and chilli sauce with a touch of bite. The guys serving were friendly and the place is immaculately clean.

My only grumble really was that the meat was served lukewarm and a bit dried out and wasn't particularly greasy - but then I suppose mid-winter and mid-week doesn't allow them to have the volume to keep everything freshly carved. Not particularly cheap either at £4.50 for a small donner.

• Beer Tasting

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Rickshaw Boy: Pretty Much Perfect!

by johngayton Written Aug 9, 2012
    DELISH!!

The much-missed writer Pete McCarthy in his book "McCarthy's Bar" (which remains IMO the best-written travel book ever - "Never pass a bar with your name on it", being one of my favourite maxims.) uses the price and quality of "Singapore Noodles" as his yardstick of a place's culinary and economic development.

Done properly Singapore Noodles represent the ultimate comfort food for those who enjoy a touch of the exotic and here at Rickshaw Boy these were DELISH - which is my highest accolade - perfectly cooked egg noodles, a good handful of prawns, slivers of char siu pork, beansprouts and a few veggie bits stir-fried with a full-frontal chilli kick and a subtle back-spicing.

Service, by the guys who were also cooking, was swift and friendly with everything being cooked in front of you, fresh to order in the trio of woks on the gleaming stainless steel-fronted stove. The aromas are worth the visit alone and it'd be kinda difficult to come in and not leave with something to eat - even if you'd just eaten!!

This is a take-away only but its harbour location would be ideal on a summer evening jor just sitting on the wall at the seafront with your meal - if I remember correctly my ample portion was well under the five quid mark and so pricewise too this gets a major thumbs up.

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Paignton

Comments

Paignton Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Paignton restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Paignton sightseeing.